Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What to do with Mike Gonzalez?

What to do with Mike Gonzalez?

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » April 29th, 2011, 11:28 pm

Mike Gonzalez has allowed at least one run in 6 of his 7 appearances this season, including two 2 run outings. Though he finished in quality form last season, it has to be a concern for the Orioles with Gonzalez' April performance so far. So what should the organization due?

Gonzalez has a large contract that owes him $6 million for the 2011 season. As with Garrett Atkins, it is hard to let go of a guy this early with so much money owed, but the question becomes: when does his roster spot go up in the air? When is it time to question his spot on the roster? Yes, he is only a relief pitcher compared to an every day starter like Atkins, but if Gonzalez can't find his stride like he claims he is doing (in his interview post game 4/28), there has to be a time that he climbs onto the hot seat.

How long can the O's wait on Gonzo to perform up to his abilities that he showed before coming to Baltimore?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: What to do with Mike Gonzalez?

PostPost #2 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 21st, 2011, 4:14 pm

At this point DFA him. He's given up runs in 5 consecutive appearances and there is no reason to keep throwing him out there. What team would claim him?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #3 by hsbaseballcoach » May 21st, 2011, 6:26 pm

I have to agree with Jordan. Gonzalez has been pitiful for a year and a half - DFA him. No team will want to take on his contract and if he is "getting his stride" he needs to do it in Norfolk. Give another person a chance, they could not possibly have any less success. What gets me even more is he is honestly pissed at Buck when he is taken out of games - no sense of reality. I would be more sympathetic if he took ownership of his poor performance.
hsbaseballcoach
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Don » May 21st, 2011, 6:30 pm

He still has one option remaining, but with his service time Gonzo would have to accept an assignment to AAA. In all honesty, it is best that he work out his kinks in Norfolk, but I would bet the farm he would ask for a release instead.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to Baltimore Orioles