Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley asking for $$$

Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley asking for $$$

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » May 18th, 2011, 6:58 am

According to this tweet from Jim Callis of BA:

Sticker shock: Teams being told asking price on Dylan Bundy is 6 yrs, $30 million. For Archie Bradley, 5 yrs and $20 million. #mlbdraft

Ben Nicholson-Smith of MLBTR points out here (where I found this information to begin with) that "No draft deal has ever been worth $20MM, so the high schoolers' asking prices are sure to scare away less serious teams."

So, do you think either of these players are worth that financial risk? Both being HS pitchers, and with the recent Hobgood shenanigans, I wonder if either of these guys would be smart options at this point for the organization.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Dylan Bundy and Archie Bradley asking for $$$

PostPost #2 by Don » May 18th, 2011, 8:01 am

Take it from me, this is a total blow smoke where the sun does not shine. Neither party has come out to the exact dollar figure that is being throw out in the wind. Simply look at last year. Manny was reported to seek $10 million by some outlet around this same time last year. Harper was asking for higher figure than Strasburg. Matzek was seeking $10-8 million.

Absolutely none were true and they did not even come close to signing for those reported figures.

See Bundy command 9-8 million dollars and Archie somewhere in the 7-6 range. It seems fair to me in the marketplace.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by 2131andBeyond » May 18th, 2011, 8:50 am

I was honestly just most surprised by the huge multiyear deal numbers being related to high school pitchers. If those numbers were/are absolutely true, there'd be a very slim chance of any team actually signing either of these guys. The risk just doesn't seem worth it (for that money).
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #4 by Rising O's » May 18th, 2011, 6:52 pm

Why would years be attached to any offer? It makes absolutely zero sense.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #5 by DougDE » May 18th, 2011, 7:23 pm

Rising O's wrote:Why would years be attached to any offer? It makes absolutely zero sense.

I think it would indicate a major league deal, which I'm totally against for highschoolers
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #6 by Shorebirdfan » May 22nd, 2011, 7:00 am

I think the only thing these numbers mean is don't expect these guys to be on your short season A roster. Deadline signings for both.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #7 by Rising O's » May 22nd, 2011, 7:46 am

Smells fishy with this other story about Bundy's training also coming out just weeks before the draft.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #8 by Don » May 22nd, 2011, 8:27 am

This is because none of it has any truth at all. There are so many smoke screens by this person, that person, this source, that source that you cannot believe anything has any truth at all.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Return to MLB Draft