Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ranking the 2011 Draft prospects

Re: Ranking the 2011 Draft prospects

PostPost #106 by Tenth Inning » May 11th, 2011, 5:17 pm

Keith Law just pegged Levi Michael in the mid-first round in a tweet, but I could see ARI going for him with the second pick. I assume they'll go for a safe college player who'll sign at slot.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #107 by Don » May 11th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Keith Law just pegged Levi Michael in the mid-first round in a tweet, but I could see ARI going for him with the second pick. I assume they'll go for a safe college player who'll sign at slot.

I would not be shocked, but there are other players that I would rank higher than him. At his best, he is maybe the 20th best player on the board.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #108 by mthompson » May 14th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Baseball America mock draft 5/14/2011

1. PIRATES: Gerrit Cole.

2. MARINERS: Anthony Rendon.

3. DIAMONDBACKS: Danny Hultzen.

4. ORIOLES: Jed Bradley.

5. ROYALS: Sonny Gray.

6. NATIONALS: Alex Meyer.

7. DIAMONDBACKS: Dylan Bundy.

8. INDIANS: Trevor Bauer.

9. CUBS: Bubba Starling.

10. PADRES: Taylor Jungmann.

11. ASTROS: Francisco Lindor.

12. BREWERS: Taylor Guerrieri.

13. METS: Brandon Nimmo.

14. MARLINS: George Springer.

15. BREWERS: Larry Greene.

16. DODGERS: Archie Bradley.

17. ANGELS: Daniel Norris.

18. ATHLETICS: Mikie Mahtook.

19. RED SOX: Matt Barnes.

20. ROCKIES: Levi Michael.

21. BLUE JAYS: Josh Bell.

22. CARDINALS: Javier Baez.

23. NATIONALS: C.J. Cron.

24. RAYS: Jose Fernandez.

25. PADRES: Cory Spangenberg.

26. RED SOX: Austin Hedges.

27. REDS: John Stilson.

28. BRAVES: Henry Owens.

29. GIANTS: Robert Stephenson.

30. TWINS: Tyler Anderson.

31. RAYS: Kolten Wong.

32. RAYS: Matt Purke.

33. RANGERS: Blake Swihart.

thoughts?
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #109 by Don » May 15th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Even though I am high on Bradley, I would take the chance on Bundy. I feel Joe Jordan does the same as he falls in love with Okie players. Remember, he drafted Robert Bundy and was responsible for Josh Johnson pick while with the Marlins.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #110 by docjj » May 15th, 2011, 7:40 pm

The rumor floating around other O's websites is they're leaning toward Sonny Gray. I sure hope that's not the case. I'd prefer Bundy or even Bubba Starling....
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #111 by Don » May 15th, 2011, 10:29 pm

Not quite sold on that one....they are not 100% on the same plane whether he is a starter or relief pitcher. I think more highly of taking his teammate Jack Armstrong in the second or third round as a safer option compared to the dollar figures you shell out on the top 5.

My money is on Bundy, again, Jordan likes to draft Okie players.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #112 by Rising O's » May 17th, 2011, 9:32 am

Lets say its true that the Pirates take Bundy. Who is more likely to slip to us, Rendon or Cole? I would think Cole at this point.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #113 by Don » May 17th, 2011, 10:49 am

Since I have been doing this, the best two pitchers I have ever seen from the Prep ranks did not go 1:1 (Josh Beckett and James Tallion). I rank Dylan in that small group of guys that I feel are safely projectable as solid starting pitchers and these are few/far between.

It would be a shock to the system to see a prep right hander go 1:1 with Cole and Rendon on the board.

Lets say this as Bundy goes 1:1
1:2 - Rendon
1:3 - Cole

Who would I take?

It comes down to projection of Bubba Starling, not as high ceiling Danny Hultzen, workout warrior Trevor Bauer. One name to keep on the tip with this 1:3 projection Archie Bradley. He is showing what I saw last season to think a top five selection again. If he had pitched this way his entire spring, I would not have been shocked to see two players from the same area school system to go 1-2.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #114 by Don » May 17th, 2011, 10:51 am

In the End, I think the Pirates are smoke screening to get the prices down on Cole and Rendon. Instead of playing off the two, you bring in the wildcard to jump ship.

I would not be totally shocked to see Trevor Bauer lumped into the list of 1:1. Pirates want to create as much confusion to keep the numbers heading south of Harper and Strasburg.

This is 100% the reason why I feel a slotting system in the next CBA is needed. It keeps crap like this from reaching the surface.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #115 by Rising O's » May 17th, 2011, 11:06 am

Maybe, but will that work on Bora$ who sets his prices and often seems unwilling to budge from them.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #116 by Don » May 17th, 2011, 11:19 am

Less power these days when teams know they can simply get the slot next season. It is not a bad as years ago of "use it or lose it". Tyler Matzek was rumored to ask for "shooting the moon" prices and signed for a tad bit more than slot deal. He got he price of around where he should have been drafted.

Boras can sell all he wants, but it is up to the kids and thier families.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #117 by Don » May 17th, 2011, 6:40 pm

I swear Keith Law and I must be sharing a brain. He has listed Archie Bradley as a dark horse pick, but he has Dylan Bundy slotted to the Orioles.

Cole dropped to 5th and I suspect that Joe Jordan would still take the Okie boy in a heartbeat. I mean the kid was born to play baseball and the kid loves the game. I mean he will pitch, eat, sleep in that order. I say he is in AA in 2012 and it would not be shocked to see him make the majors in 2013. He is a special kind of high school talent.

I think the only player to change their plans would be Rendon.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #118 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 17th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Don wrote:I swear Keith Law and I must be sharing a brain. He has listed Archie Bradley as a dark horse pick, but he has Dylan Bundy slotted to the Orioles.

Cole dropped to 5th and I suspect that Joe Jordan would still take the Okie boy in a heartbeat. I mean the kid was born to play baseball and the kid loves the game. I mean he will pitch, eat, sleep in that order. I say he is in AA in 2012 and it would not be shocked to see him make the majors in 2013. He is a special kind of high school talent.

I think the only player to change their plans would be Rendon.

If the O's get any one of Cole, Rendon, Starling or Bundy I will come out of Day 1 satisfied.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #119 by DougDE » May 18th, 2011, 2:09 am

Jordan wrote:If the O's get any one of Cole, Rendon, Starling or Bundy I will come out of Day 1 satisfied.

I agree. And there's only a small handful of other players that wont completely piss me off. Off the top of my head they include Trevor Bauer, Danny Hultzen, and Jed Bradley. If they go off the board witha perceived money pick I'm really gonna be frustrated with the organization
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #120 by Don » May 18th, 2011, 10:56 am

I am getting the sense that this season will be very high school dominate of the Orioles selections. I suspect that the first pick is a toss up between the two and the second is most likely a polished arm that could either be relief or starter. it is possible that player could be a bat that drops in the College ranks, but overall they want to install some guys in the upper levels with talent.

I would honestly believe that 3-10 will be guys that are signability issues and the floodgates will open. This is the draft to do it and the Orioles need a major shot in the arm to build the system. If it were me, I would easily spend the 12-15-18 million budget in this draft. I think you can get some tougher mid round signs that would be a first or second round pick in the 2014 draft.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to MLB Draft