Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Designate Chris Jones For Assignment

Orioles Designate Chris Jones For Assignment

PostPost #1 by ofahn » February 24th, 2014, 6:04 pm

By Steve Adams [February 24, 2014 at 4:41pm CST]

The Orioles announced that they have designated left-hander Chris Jones for assignment in order to clear a spot on the 40-man roster for Nelson Cruz, whose one-year deal is now official.

Jones, 25, was acquired from the Braves last April in exchange for right-hander Luis Ayala. The former 15th-round pick (Indians) posted a solid 2.85 ERA in 79 innings between Double-A and Triple-A last season, though his 6.2 K/9 rate and 4.1 BB/9 rate were less impressive. Jones would make an intriguing pick-up for a team in need of left-handed relief, as he held opposing lefties to a minuscule .196/.291/.268 batting line in 128 plate appearances last season.

Jones has a 3.42 ERA with 7.9 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 in 434 1/3 career innings in the minors.

I'm sure the team will try to trade him. I hope we focus on acquiring International draft slot money instead of some marginal prospect or "cash considerations". With our diminished position in the June draft we're going to need to have as large an impact as possible in that forum.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/o ... nment.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Designate Chris Jones For Assignment

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » March 3rd, 2014, 5:37 pm

Chris Jones signed to a minor league deal with the Orioles today.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » March 4th, 2014, 8:07 am

I wish the Orioles could have gotten Liam Hendriks back.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by ofahn » March 4th, 2014, 11:46 am

osforlife wrote:I wish the Orioles could have gotten Liam Hendriks back.

I see that as a sign that the depth of the organization has improved to the point that the FO felt it had better pitchers than him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by osforlife » March 4th, 2014, 4:07 pm

ofahn wrote:I see that as a sign that the depth of the organization has improved to the point that the FO felt it had better pitchers than him.

I would have rather given back Almanzar instead of DFAing Hendriks. I'd consider Peguero at this point too. Hendrik's career ERA in the minors was under 3.00, his minor league SO/BB ratio was 4.73, and he was just 25. I bet he could be a reliever right now. I'd rather have him than Britton. At least Hendriks has pitched well at AAA.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » March 4th, 2014, 8:55 pm

osforlife wrote:I would have rather given back Almanzar instead of DFAing Hendriks.

I'm just guessing, but I think that Almanzar is still in camp as insurance for Machado.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by osforlife » March 5th, 2014, 6:48 pm

ofahn wrote:I'm just guessing, but I think that Almanzar is still in camp as insurance for Machado.

That's what Flaherty is for. There's no way Almanzar makes this team. I'd love to keep him around in the organization, but he put up ordinary numbers in AA, and hasn't touched AAA.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » March 6th, 2014, 10:13 am

osforlife wrote:That's what Flaherty is for.

I think that he's still at the top of the depth chart for second. Of course, Schoop and Weeks may have something to say about that before Opening Day.

osforlife wrote:There's no way Almanzar makes this team. I'd love to keep him around in the organization

Agreed, but DD may believe he can make a deal with the Sux to keep him. If so, he becomes the best 3B prospect in our system.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles