Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Projecting the 25-Man Roster

Projecting the 25-Man Roster

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » March 3rd, 2014, 8:00 am

Projecting the 25-Man Roster http://bit.ly/MHYsI6

Alex, Jeff and I project our 25-man roster
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Projecting the 25-Man Roster

PostPost #2 by osforlife » March 3rd, 2014, 10:44 am

Nice piece guys.

1. IMO, Suk Min Yoon is the guy that we all want to see in the 5th spot, but Norris is probably the more reliable option. If Yoon is indeed the next pitcher to step into the rotation, Oriole fans will see a lot of him. He can be sent to the minors with his permission. I'n not sure if I would put him in the bullpen or AAA rotation.

2. It's obvious the only legitimate bullpen options are Darren O'Day, Tommy Hunter, Brian Matusz, Ryan Webb, Suk Min Yoon, Josh Stinson, Kelvin De La Cruz, Edgmer Escalona, and Zach Britton. Alfredo Aceves and Evan Meek's chances increase greatly if somebody goes down with an injury IMO. Steve Johnson and Brad Brach have at least on option remaining, so they're likely the odd men out.

3. I too am a big supporter of Pearce. I believe he provides more value than Reimold, Peguero, or Young.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » March 3rd, 2014, 11:13 am

Thanks!

This just in from Buck, could make things a little more interesting on that bench:

@masnRoch: Buck says for now, he doesn't plan on using Lough vs LHP. That puts Cruz in LF and opens spot for RH DH
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by osforlife » March 3rd, 2014, 1:38 pm

Tucker Blair wrote:Thanks!

This just in from Buck, could make things a little more interesting on that bench:

Buck Showalter is an idiot if he follows through with that suggestion.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » March 3rd, 2014, 3:06 pm

osforlife wrote:

I think Buck may know a litlle more about the game of baseball, just sayin'.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by osforlife » March 3rd, 2014, 3:18 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I think Buck may know a litlle more about the game of baseball, just sayin'.

David Lough has actually hit LHP (.282/.312/.408) better than RHP (.277/.307/.393) in his career. There's absolutely no reason Lough should be a platoon player, and especially not if Cruz is the one replacing him in the outfield. Any offensive value Cruz produces, would be significantly negated if he were to play in left field. Nelson Cruz came here for one reason, and one reason only; to hit. Stick to it and burn his glove. It's ludicrous for Buck to think that playing Cruz, one of the worst fielders on the team, over Lough, one of the best fielders on the team, especially when Lough hits LHP better than RHP. If both of these players produce similar to what they have done in their careers, Buck will be an idiot if he follows through on this suggestion.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » March 3rd, 2014, 3:54 pm

osforlife wrote:David Lough has actually hit LHP (.282/.312/.408) better than RHP (.277/.307/.393) in his career. There's absolutely no reason Lough should be a platoon player, and especially not if Cruz is the one replacing him in the outfield. Any offensive value Cruz produces, would be significantly negated if he were to play in left field. Nelson Cruz came here for one reason, and one reason only; to hit. Stick to it and burn his glove. It's ludicrous for Buck to think that playing Cruz, one of the worst fielders on the team, over Lough, one of the best fielders on the team, especially when Lough hits LHP better than RHP. If both of these players produce similar to what they have done in their careers, Buck will be an idiot if he follows through on this suggestion.

I'm not debating stats, or defensive ability. You called Buck an idiot and just did it again. It's clear what you think of managers since you posted this little tidbit about managers:

"I think you place way too much value on a manager. Managers don't run, field, hit, or pitch. They put the nine best players on the field, which a middle school'r could do, and sub in relief pitchers. Any person with a stat book can put in the pitchers with the best match-up."

I'm STILL saying an internet poster is not going to make up a line up for Buck Showalter and that he is not an idiot. Buck has his reasons for what he does, ludicrous or not. If Buck wants to platoon Lough then that's what's going to happen.

I think Cruz sucks in the field as well but I would never call Buck a idiot for his decision making.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by osforlife » March 3rd, 2014, 4:24 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I'm not debating stats, or defensive ability. You called Buck an idiot and just did it again. It's clear what you think of managers since you posted this little tidbit about managers:

"I think you place way too much value on a manager. Managers don't run, field, hit, or pitch. They put the nine best players on the field, which a middle school'r could do, and sub in relief pitchers. Any person with a stat book can put in the pitchers with the best match-up."

I'm STILL saying an internet poster is not going to make up a line up for Buck Showalter and that he is not an idiot. Buck has his reasons for what he does, ludicrous or not. If Buck wants to platoon Lough then that's what's going to happen.

I think Cruz sucks in the field as well but I would never call Buck a idiot for his decision making.

I said if. ???
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » March 3rd, 2014, 4:31 pm

osforlife wrote:I said if. ???

And IF he does it then he's an idiot, in your words?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by osforlife » March 3rd, 2014, 5:37 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
And IF he does it then he's an idiot, in your words?

Then yes, he would not be making the best decision for the team. Hopefully Showalter looks at some simple statistics and doesn't go through with this plan.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by Seafordeagles » March 3rd, 2014, 5:38 pm

osforlife wrote:Then yes, he would not be making the best decision for the team. Hopefully Showalter looks at some simple statistics and doesn't go through with this plan.

That's my whole point. Now we can move on.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by ofahn » March 4th, 2014, 12:04 pm

osforlife wrote:

I'm not sure how much stock I would put into a statement like that at this point in the spring. IMO this is classic Buck. With just a few words he's giving motivation to Lough to work with the coaching staff on improving his ability to handle LH pitching AND Cruz to be ready to play the field AND Reimold, Young, and Peguero to work harder towards a potential roster spot.

For that last two years he's been saying publicly that Tommy Hunter and Brian Matusz had a shot at the rotation. Was there anyone but those two players that actually believed that? He made a comment the other day that Delmon Young had a chance at a roster spot. Come on, that fantasy ended when they signed Cruz because they're the same player with Cruz being the better hitter.

Now, IF Buck is REALLY serious about Cruz spending any substantial time in the OF then I would concur that he's over due for a cat scan.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #13 by ofahn » March 4th, 2014, 12:13 pm

osforlife wrote:I too am a big supporter of Pearce. I believe he provides more value than Reimold, Peguero, or Young.

I agree that he's the better hitter and is a viable sub at 1B, BUT I would put Peguero ahead of him as a LF. At this point my preference would be for Peguero and Pearce to earn roster spots and Reimold go to Norfolk to get his timing back. When he's on he can be a serious threat at the plate.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » March 4th, 2014, 12:16 pm

osforlife wrote:Alfredo Aceves and Evan Meek's chances increase greatly if somebody goes down with an injury IMO.

... and Escalona may be done for the season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » March 4th, 2014, 4:19 pm

ofahn wrote:I agree that he's the better hitter and is a viable sub at 1B, BUT I would put Peguero ahead of him as a LF. At this point my preference would be for Peguero and Pearce to earn roster spots and Reimold go to Norfolk to get his timing back. When he's on he can be a serious threat at the plate.

I don't think Reimold can be optioned. If he's DFA'd at the end of spring training, and he's healthy, he will surely be picked up by a team in need of outfield depth. I like Peguero, but not if he is forced to stay on the major league roster. He has never walked efficiently, and it appears he no longer has speed. The only thing really going for him is batting average. His .718 OPS in the PCL is unimpressive. Reimold and Pearce are better options. I'd say Peguero is more likely to pass through waivers than Reimold or Pearce.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles