Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles PR Director Monica Pence Barlow Loses Battle With Cancer

Orioles PR Director Monica Pence Barlow Loses Battle With Cancer

PostPost #1 by ofahn » February 28th, 2014, 3:09 pm

SARASOTA, Fla. - The Orioles will play their first exhibition game today with heavy hearts, the loss of a beloved member of the organization bringing great pain to all of us.

Monica Pence Barlow, the club's director of public relations, passed away early this morning after a long and courageous battle with cancer. She was 36.

monicaSU2C.jpgShe also was a fighter - tougher than anyone I've known. Diagnosed with stage IV lung cancer in September 2009, she leaned heavily on her faith while enduring rounds of chemotherapy, experimental procedures and the invasion of privacy that comes with being a public figure.

In 2008 my son's birthday was around the time that the Orioles played at Wrigley Field for the first time. A friend of Ms. Pence put me in contact with her so I could ask that one of the Orioles' players would come to the railing behind the Orioles' dugout where we had seats and sign a baseball for my son. The next thing I knew Ms. Pence had us ON THE FIELD behind the batting cage while the Orioles were taking batting practice. We were given baseballs which Brian Roberts and Nick Markakis signed for us and then we spoke with Dave Trembley and Jim Palmer. After he was finished with BP Nick Markakis gave my son his batting gloves with his number on them. We then spent the next 45 minutes in the Orioles' dugout getting a chance to meet most of the players.

Let's say that my son was more than shocked as to what his birthday present turned out to be. To top it off we went up 11 - 0 and won the game 11- 5.

I will never forget Monica's kindness and I intend to make a donation to the LUNGevity Foundation (www.lungevity.org) in her memory.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... -away.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles PR Director Monica Pence Barlow Loses Battle With Cancer

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » February 28th, 2014, 4:06 pm

Well said ofahn and my condolences to Monica's family as well.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » February 28th, 2014, 4:22 pm

Monica Barlow was an awesome person. Very helpful and nice to me over the years. Very sad news, she will be truly missed.

I cannot reiterate how nice she was. Truly one of the nicest people I have met within the baseball industry.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 28th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Very sad news.

A few years ago I was in Sarasota for spring training. I was 16 or 17, and wanted to acquire a press pass to an Orioles spring training games. I had been emailing back and forth with Monica, trying to prove that despite my age, that ON was a big site and worthy enough to earn a press pass. She hesitated, but ultimately told me to come to the spring training complex for an interview with her. There she said she'd determine whether or not I got the press pass.

My grandfather drove me to the complex and I met with Monica there. After a few minutes talking she came away impressed with the site and ultimately granted me a press pass.

As a 16 year old trying to get into the baseball industry, she certainly gave me a lot of confidence by doing this, and I think she knew that.

This was my only interaction with her, but just from this I could see she was a quality woman. RIP.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by ofahn » March 31st, 2014, 10:34 am

The press box has new chairs for the reporters and televisions hanging from the ceiling to provide unobstructed views. But the most touching addition is a plaque mounted on the facing of the second row of seats behind the chair normally occupied by public relations director Monica Pence Barlow, who passed away on Feb. 28.

It reads: In Memory of Monica Pence Barlow 1977-2014

Courtesy of Roch Kubatko http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roc ... g-day.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by ofahn » April 1st, 2014, 9:57 am

Yesterday's tribute to the Orioles' late PR director Monica Pence Barlow. Please take a moment to watch.

http://youtu.be/9J7XsxzqmZo
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles