Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

who the heck are we going to take?

Re: who the heck are we going to take?

PostPost #16 by Rising O's » May 6th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Rendon, Cole. Starling or Bundy. Pick the one that falls to you and be happy.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #17 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 8th, 2011, 7:24 pm

Rising O's wrote:Rendon, Cole. Starling or Bundy. Pick the one that falls to you and be happy.

I think I'm leaning Bundy at this point.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #18 by Don » May 8th, 2011, 8:00 pm

I am as well simply because Dylan is not your average 18 year old. He is more along the lines of what you see out of a JUCO or younger college player. He would only be a season behind Bradley, Hultzen, etc... and his work ethic is better than every single player in this draft and one of the best I have ever witnessed since I started doing these reports in the 90's.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #19 by mthompson » May 8th, 2011, 10:22 pm

I know that we look to have struck gold last year, with Machado. That being said, we would be playing with fire to draft another high school postion player (Starling), they just to not pan out at a high enough rate EX: Donavan Tate, Matt Bush, Tim Beckham. Bundy has a world of talent, but so much can happen with an 18yo arm in the next few years. EX: HOBGOOD. Bradley would be a bit of a reach at 4. This leaves 2 guys Sonny Gray and Danny Hultzen.

Gray has his critics, but has unquestionable electric stuff. He is experienced and has pitched many big games in the SEC. Witha fastball that averages 92-94 and can top out at 96-97, a plus slider and a change that could develop into a plus pitch with time, he has the talent to be the right-handed arm along with arrieta and lefties britton and matusz, set us up in a favorable position for the next ten years.

No one player, other then maybe Trevor Bauer, has helped there draft stock more then Danny Hultzen. He may be the closest thing to Brian Matusz that is out there (not a bad thing). FB sits in the low 90"s can move it all around the plate with sink. A solid slider, a curve that shows promise and a change that has good sink and has late dive on it. As of May 3rd he is 9-1 with a 1.19 era 75.2inn and 112 in the ACC ( Not exactly high school ball).

Hultzen may go 3, and if thats the case I think Sonny Gray would be the best pick. He has the stuff, durability, and the blue collar work ethic that will make this city fall in love with him when he arrives.
mthompson
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 2

PostPost #20 by Don » May 9th, 2011, 6:07 am

Too many flags scare me to take Sonny Gray. There are only so many small stature guys that can throw max effort without their arm falling off. Gray gives up way too many walks for my taste and his control is not on par with other top pitchers in this draft. I like him, but I like a few others options before I would select Gray. I am not the only one thinking this and these thoughts are traveling through a many of organizations in baseball.

If It were me, it would come down to Dylan or Bubba as these two have the most to offer the Orioles. Look past the age for Bundy as no one, and I mean no one, has a better makeup in terms of drive, desire, work ethic, determination to success, etc ...

You obviously have not seen Okie baseball. The league that is played in that portion of the state is fully stocked. Broken Arrow has I feel 8 kids that will be playing professional baseball on its' roster and Bundy mauled them down. You are talking about a kid with very clean effortless mechanics that dials it up to triple digits. These guys do not grow on trees and it is tempting.

He and Cole are the only two I can safely say will be a leader of a staff in the future. I do not throw out those comments lightly and it would behoove the organization to keep the high school kids on the table.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Previous

Return to MLB Draft