Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Nelson Cruz

Nelson Cruz

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » February 24th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Alex: Analyzing Nelson Cruz http://bit.ly/1dopkny

Jeff: How Cruz Signing Affects Left Field for O's http://bit.ly/1juhEFj

Good stuff from both.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Nelson Cruz

PostPost #2 by ofahn » February 24th, 2014, 2:33 pm

I agree that as a DH he's an asset to the team, but as LF he's a liability because his bat would not compensate for his glove.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 24th, 2014, 5:44 pm

The signing is now official. Press conference tomorrow.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by thezeroes » February 24th, 2014, 6:04 pm

ofahn wrote:The signing is now official. Press conference tomorrow.

Chris Jones removed from Forty to make room. He was placed there for rule 5 protection.
Will he clear the waiver wire?
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #5 by ofahn » February 24th, 2014, 7:03 pm

thezeroes wrote: Chris Jones removed from Forty to make room. He was placed there for rule 5 protection.
Will he clear the waiver wire?

I posted this about that.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2361
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by osforlife » February 24th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Any offensive production Cruz adds would be negated by his poor defensive abilities, especially when the defensively superb David Lough could be in left field. If it were up to me, Cruz wouldn't even be considered an outfielder. He came here to hit, and that's what he'll do. Baltimore has plenty of outfield depth; Cruz doesn't have to play an inning in the field. Stay healthy, stay clean, burn your glove, and do what you do best, Cruz. Play 150 games, put up an .800 OPS, and a 2.0 WAR/fWAR. With Cruz in and Colvin out(although he was never in), I now see the outfield depth chart as;

David Lough, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, Nolan Reimold(no options), Steve Pearce(no options), Kyeong Kang, Julio Borbon, Xavier Paul, Francisco Peguero(no options), Chih-Hsien Chiang, Quintin Berry, Dariel Alvarez, Steve Bumbry, Ronald Bermudez, Glynn Davis, Trent Mummey, Johnny Ruettiger, Brenden Webb, Tucker Nathans. I'll also include Nelson Cruz and Delmon Young, even though I hope to never see them with a glove on.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by thezeroes » February 25th, 2014, 8:48 am

ofahn wrote:I posted this about that.viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2361

Yes I saw that after the fact. Feel free to have it deleted as it is not necessary and a redundancy.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #8 by ofahn » February 25th, 2014, 10:40 am

thezeroes wrote:
Yes I saw that after the fact. Feel free to have it deleted as it is not necessary and a redundancy.

No reason to. I just posted the link as a related post.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by ofahn » February 25th, 2014, 10:47 am

osforlife wrote:David Lough, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis, Nolan Reimold(no options), Steve Pearce(no options), Kyeong Kang, Julio Borbon, Xavier Paul, Francisco Peguero(no options), Chih-Hsien Chiang, Quintin Berry, Dariel Alvarez, Steve Bumbry, Ronald Bermudez, Glynn Davis, Trent Mummey, Johnny Ruettiger, Brenden Webb, Tucker Nathans. I'll also include Nelson Cruz and Delmon Young, even though I hope to never see them with a glove on.

I see David Lough, Adam Jones, and Nick Markakis as the starting OF, with Nolan Reimold as the fourth OFer IF he's healthy and productive. Steve Pearce would be next in line if Reimolds falters. IMO Julio Borbon, Xavier Paul, and Francisco Peguero are long shots to make the team unless they have monster springs and/or both Reimold and Pearce tank or are injured.

With the Cruz signing it looks like Delmon Young is the odd man out. I hope he has a good spring so we can trade him for some International pool money.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Baltimore Orioles