Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

What Would Your Opening Day 25-Man Roster Be?

What Would Your Opening Day 25-Man Roster Be?

PostPost #1 by osforlife » February 22nd, 2014, 1:36 pm

Starting Rotation;

Chris Tillman
Ubaldo Jimenez
Wei Yin Chen
Miguel Gonzalez
Bud Norris/Suk Min Yoon

Bullpen;

Tommy Hunter
Darren O'Day
Ryan Webb
Brian Matusz
Josh Stinson
Bud Norris/Suk Min Yoon
Kelvin De La Cruz
Edgmer Escalona

Starting Lineup;

C Matt Wieters
1B Chris Davis
2B Cord Phelps
3B Manny Machado
SS JJ Hardy
LF David Lough
CF Adam Jones
RF Nick Markakis

Bench;

Steve Clevenger
Alexi Casilla
Steve Pearce
Nelson Cruz

Notable Omissions; Nolan Reimold, Delmon Young, Ryan Flaherty, Zach Britton, TJ McFarland
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: What Would Your Opening Day 25-Man Roster Be?

PostPost #2 by thezeroes » February 22nd, 2014, 3:08 pm

osforlife wrote:Notable Omissions; Nolan Reimold, Delmon Young, Ryan Flaherty, Zach Britton, TJ McFarland

Nolan Reimold - No Options, cost about $1Million, does not clear waivers, maybe Pittsburgh.
Delmon Young - Starts at AAA and uses his opt out early, resigns with Philly on a MiLB Deal
Ryan Flaherty - Optioned to Norfolk, returns by mid May to replace an injury on the infield.
Zach Britton - Does not clear waivers and is claimed by Tampa Bay as a replacement for Jeremy Hellickson on the Twenty-Five, comes back to haunt the Orioles out of the bullpen.
TJ McFarland - Optioned to AAA Norfolk, works as starter and is promoted to replace an injured starter by June.

Just my take on your exclusions.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » February 22nd, 2014, 4:49 pm

I think Britton will be in the bullpen and Stinson will be the odd man out.

I think Pearce gets moved.

I can't comment any on Phelps (just looked at his stats and he's not the greatest defender) but I know Buck likes defense so that probably means Flaherty and Casilla.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by osforlife » February 22nd, 2014, 6:46 pm

thezeroes wrote:
Nolan Reimold - No Options, cost about $1Million, does not clear waivers, maybe Pittsburgh.
Delmon Young - Starts at AAA and uses his opt out early, resigns with Philly on a MiLB Deal
Ryan Flaherty - Optioned to Norfolk, returns by mid May to replace an injury on the infield.
Zach Britton - Does not clear waivers and is claimed by Tampa Bay as a replacement for Jeremy Hellickson on the Twenty-Five, comes back to haunt the Orioles out of the bullpen.
TJ McFarland - Optioned to AAA Norfolk, works as starter and is promoted to replace an injured starter by June.

Just my take on your exclusions.

Really? If Zach Britton was claimed by Tampa Bay, he wouldn't even make the AAA roster as a starter? A Replacement for Jeremy Hellickson means you're envisioning him to start, right? David Price, Matt Moore, Alex Cobb, Chris Archer, Jake Odorizzi, Alex Colome, Nathan Karns, Enny Romero, Mike Montgomery, and Matt Andriese. Let's remember, Britton has been awful at the AAA level. The only reason he would make the Orioles is because he has no options left and he has "potential", not because he has earned it.

Tj McFarland is pretty far back on the Orioles starting depth chart too IMO. Chris Tillman, Ubaldo Jimenez, Wei Yin Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, Suk Min Yoon, Bud Norris, Steve Johnson, Nick Additon, Kevin Gausman, Mike Wright are more valuable as starters IMO.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by osforlife » February 22nd, 2014, 7:10 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I think Britton will be in the bullpen and Stinson will be the odd man out.

I think Pearce gets moved.

I can't comment any on Phelps (just looked at his stats and he's not the greatest defender) but I know Buck likes defense so that probably means Flaherty and Casilla.

Out of the four players competing for second base, I think Ryan Flaherty defintely has the best shot of winning the job. However, if I was in charge, he would go down to AAA. Flaherty has an awful .221/.279/.378 at the major league level, and a bad .249/.288/.429 in AAA too. The majority of that was in the PCL too. Who knows if he can even hit AAA International League pitching. I think he has the most potential of the bunch, but I'm a firm believer that quality time at each minor league affiliate is beneficial. Let's see if he can hit AAA first, and then he can be brought up to the next Ben Zobrist.

I don't really have much hope/interest in Jemile Weeks. His numbers in AAA last year were decent, but he was in the PCL. A .271 batting average in the PCL is nothing eye-catching. I like his batting eye, and he has solid speed, but he doesn't hit or field well enough to back those up. Let's see if he can hit Internation League pitching, and maybe he can carve at a career as a bench player in the majors. Also, his great 2011 season was simply due to an inflated .350 BABIP. If that can drop 40 points and somehow he can still be productive, then I'll own up to him.

Minor League defense numbers can be meaningless, but Phelps only had five errors in 132 games playing second base in AAA. He has average speed, so he's not a clunker. I just believe that he has hit too well in AAA for too long not to get a chance in the bigs. Currently, he's sporting a .286/.367/.471 in the international league over 363 games. He's a switch hitter and has started to play 1B and LF.

Ivan De Jesus had a great season in Indianapolis last year, surprisingly better than any season he had in Albuquerque. He's had extensive time at both second and short. He doesn't have much power and speed, but he can hit; .306/.360/.425 over 400 games in AAA. He could probably easily be a Robert Andino type player right now.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by thezeroes » February 22nd, 2014, 9:10 pm

osforlife wrote:Zach Britton - Does not clear waivers and is claimed by Tampa Bay as a replacement for Jeremy Hellickson on the Twenty-Five, comes back to haunt the Orioles out of the bullpen.

Please read what was written. I in no way said as a starter. Could not be plainer that if I had put it into bold face type which I have to help your reading.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2014, 1:37 pm

thezeroes wrote:
Please read what was written. I in no way said as a starter. Could not be plainer that if I had put it into bold face type which I have to help your reading.

You said as a replacement to Jeremy Hellickson. Jeremy Hellickson is a starter.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2014, 1:50 pm

Also, an interesting question would be how to set up the lineup. I would propose;

1. LF David Lough
2. RF Nick Markakis
3. CF Adam Jones
4. 1B Chris Davis
5. DH Nelson Cruz
6. SS JJ Hardy
7. 3B Manny Machado
8. C Matt Wieters
9. 2B Cord Phelps
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » February 23rd, 2014, 3:17 pm

osforlife wrote:You said as a replacement to Jeremy Hellickson. Jeremy Hellickson is a starter.

He actually said this:

"as a replacement for Jeremy Hellickson on the Twenty-Five, comes back to haunt the Orioles out of the bullpen."

Oh well, it seemed clear to me.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2014, 7:42 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
He actually said this:

"as a replacement for Jeremy Hellickson on the Twenty-Five, comes back to haunt the Orioles out of the bullpen."

Oh well, it seemed clear to me.

Why would Britton be a replacement for Hellickson if he is going to pitch out of the bullpen?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by thezeroes » February 23rd, 2014, 8:06 pm

osforlife wrote:Why would Britton be a replacement for Hellickson if he is going to pitch out of the bullpen?

When , as you stated,you have the starters that they do you only need to pick the one that you want to expand the arbitration clock and the super two clock. For a team like Tampa Bay you do not allow all your players to make a twenty-five man roster when you want to control their earnings over a longer period of time. By claiming Britton who already has these clocks going you pay a minimum for a bullpen pitcher while using these other arms in a starting role where you want them for the longer haul.

Tampa Bay always brings in these type of players to augment the twenty-five for injuries while protecting assets for as long as possible. Hence, Britton replaces Hellickson on the twenty-five only not the rotation. He is used as a lefty out of the bullpen. If he works out you have a tradable commodity. If not you DFA him when the roster spot is needed to bring Hellickson of the DL.

Roster and player management.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » February 23rd, 2014, 8:21 pm

osforlife wrote:Why would Britton be a replacement for Hellickson if he is going to pitch out of the bullpen?

Really, I'll try to beak it down for you.

Hellickson will NOT be on the 25 man roster

Britton WOULD be on the 25 man roster

Britton WOULD BE IN THE BULLPEN

Britton WOULD be taking Hellickson's spot on the Tampa Rays

Britton WOULD NOT be a starter with that rotation.

Hopefully this helps you. Even though I see Britton as a member of the Baltimore Orioles bullpen in 2014. He will not be put on waivers. If he is not good enough he will be traded for some obscure prospect.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by osforlife » February 23rd, 2014, 9:25 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Really, I'll try to beak it down for you.

Hellickson will NOT be on the 25 man roster

Britton WOULD be on the 25 man roster

Britton WOULD BE IN THE BULLPEN

Britton WOULD be taking Hellickson's spot on the Tampa Rays

Britton WOULD NOT be a starter with that rotation.

Hopefully this helps you. Even though I see Britton as a member of the Baltimore Orioles bullpen in 2014. He will not be put on waivers. If he is not good enough he will be traded for some obscure prospect.

I understand all of those points. If Zach Britton will pitch out of the bullpen, how is he replacing Jeremy Hellickson? Jeremy Hellickson is a starter. Relievers can't replace starters. That's like saying, "Wei Yin Chen needs Tommy John surgery, so we will bring up Chris Jones to replace him." Chris Jones is a reliever. Wei Yin Chen is a starter.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » February 23rd, 2014, 9:33 pm

osforlife wrote:I understand all of those points. If Zach Britton will pitch out of the bullpen, how is he replacing Jeremy Hellickson? Jeremy Hellickson is a starter. Relievers can't replace starters. That's like saying, "Wei Yin Chen needs Tommy John surgery, so we will bring up Chris Jones to replace him." Chris Jones is a reliever. Wei Yin Chen is a starter.

I was just trying to get you to understand what the thezeroes was saying. I guess I'll just not get involved anymore when 2 people are having a discussion and don't agree.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by thezeroes » February 23rd, 2014, 9:53 pm

osforlife wrote:I understand all of those points. If Zach Britton will pitch out of the bullpen, how is he replacing Jeremy Hellickson?

Tampa Bay already knows that Jeremy Hellickson will be on the Disabled List to start the season. They have a number of "In House" candidates that are starters to replace Jeremy Hellickson and are being so groomed for that role. As I stated in an earlier thread, some of these starters will stay in that role through out their careers so they will become Tampa's number 5 from the get go to begin the season. (why change the bullpen arms) This number 5 will be returned to that role in the minors when Hellickson becomes active (Mid May).

Under your scenario, Britton will get waived, Tampa has only 39 players on the Forty Man roster, hence the claim on Britton. With all the available candidates on their roster already, Britton will placed in the bullpen to get a third lefty for them out of the pen.

Think of it this way. Jeremy Hellickson is not even on the roster for Tampa Bay. Britton is not replacing him but is being claimed to augment Tampa Bays bullpen. This may even be true if Tampa puts Hellickson on the Sixty Day DL when that venue becomes available.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles