Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

The Real Issue: Starting Pitching

Re: The Real Issue: Starting Pitching

PostPost #31 by osforlife » February 20th, 2014, 6:59 pm

ofahn wrote:Yes there is. That offense was less reliant on the HR.

There were many reasons for the failure of the 2013 season, but the one problem that was consistent from the beginning was the inability to manufacture runs.

...And I could say the problem that was consistent from the beginning was the regression of the bullpen. That's why the Orioles lost so many one run games. That's my hypothesis. You have yours, I have mine. It's impossible to prove which one was more harmful.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #32 by AlexConway » February 20th, 2014, 7:21 pm

osforlife wrote:
...And I could say the problem that was consistent from the beginning was the regression of the bullpen. That's why the Orioles lost so many one run games. That's my hypothesis. You have yours, I have mine. It's impossible to prove which one was more harmful.

Actually, you can prove it was the regression of the bullpen. The best predictors of success in one run games is quality of relievers and Isolated power for hitters. In fact, the home run heavy offense would be a positive for the team record in one run games while the down performance by the bullpen, in particular in high leverage situations, is why the team was not as successful as the prior year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-much ... run-games/
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #33 by osforlife » February 20th, 2014, 7:36 pm

AlexConway wrote:
Actually, you can prove it was the regression of the bullpen. The best predictors of success in one run games is quality of relievers and Isolated power for hitters. In fact, the home run heavy offense would be a positive for the team record in one run games while the down performance by the bullpen, in particular in high leverage situations, is why the team was not as successful as the prior year.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/how-much ... run-games/

Wow. Interesting article. I guess I can prove it was the bullpen. Thanks!
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles