Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Will The Andrelton Simmons Extension Help Extend Manny Machado?

Will The Andrelton Simmons Extension Help Extend Manny Machado?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » February 20th, 2014, 2:34 pm

Braves Extend Andrelton Simmons
By Jeff Todd [February 20, 2014 at 10:41am CST]

The Braves have agreed to a seven-year extension with shortstop Andrelton Simmons, the club announced today via press release. The Relativity Sports client receives a $58MM guarantee.

Simmons, 24, will now be under contract with Atlanta through the 2020 season. The deal covers all of his arb-eligible years and includes two seasons of free agent eligibility. With just 1.125 years of service heading into 2014, Simmons was a possible (but by no means certain) Super Two player for 2015.

Placing in the same service class as recent extension signees like Julio Teheran, Martin Perez, Jose Altuve, Anthony Rizzo, Paul Goldschmidt and Madison Bumgarner, Simmons' guaranteed money tops them all. Indeed, Simmons now sets the high mark for all extensions of players with between one and two years of service, topping Ryan Braun's eight-year, $45MM deal from back in 2008.

I was shocked when I saw how team friendly this deal was in the current market. This gives me hope that The Orioles might actually be able to extend Machado considering that Boras isn't his agent.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Will The Andrelton Simmons Extension Help Extend Manny Machado?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » February 20th, 2014, 7:33 pm

It is striking how similar these two players are.

Simmons' Career; 206 games, 20 home-runs, 2 net steals, .704 OPS, 9.7 WAR, 6.9 fWAR
Machado's Career; 207 games, 21 home-runs, 1 net steal, .744 OPS, 8.1 WAR, 7.5 fWAR

Granted, Machado is three years younger, and his eventual transition to shortstop has come into question. Will he ever play shortstop? But, Machado has the higher offensive ceiling, although Simmons is most likely the better defensive SHORTSTOP. Nevertheless, they are very relate-able and this makes me optimistic for a Machado extension.

Although I love Machado’s youth and upside, considering his second-half decline (.240/.277/.370 after the All-Star break versus .310/.337/.470 before), his simply average offensive numbers in the minors, the fact that he was rushed through the system, and the fact that he is recovering from a major knee injury, I do not expect Machado to have that great of a year. That being said, Machado can hit like he did in the second half, and still provide substantial value.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles