Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Sources: Orioles working to finalize deal with Jimenez

Sources: Orioles working to finalize deal with Jimenez

PostPost #1 by ofahn » February 17th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Roch Kubatko is reporting that the deal would be 48M/4. Change Jimenez to Santana and the contract to 36M/3 with a vesting option and the deal would make sense.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Sources: Orioles working to finalize deal with Jimenez

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » February 17th, 2014, 6:57 pm

Pending physical:

The Orioles have agreed to terms with free agent starter Ubaldo Jimenez, pending physical, reports Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter). It was recently reported by MASNsports.com's Roch Kubatko that the sides were nearing agreement, with the terms believed to be in the range of four-years and $48MM.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » February 17th, 2014, 7:22 pm

Wow. I did not see that coming.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » February 17th, 2014, 7:42 pm

<---not happy. He's not worth that 17 overall choice.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by ofahn » February 17th, 2014, 8:06 pm

So... , let me get this straight; the team needs competent SP to compete in the AL East and the solution is this guy? Here's part of MLB Trade Rumors' most recent post on the subject.
Just one year prior, however, Jimenez netted just a 5.40 ERA for Cleveland. He has never managed to limit walks, allowing 4.1 free passes per nine over his career. And Jimenez's stellar early-career ground-ball induction skills have waned of late. Last year, he checked in with a 43.5% ground ball rate, which fell below league average.

To be successful in Camden Yards AND the AL East you have to minimize walks. Sorry, not this guy. You have to have a high ground ball percentage. Nope.

What really concerns me about this signing is that it may be the last REAL money ownership allows for a long time. If Jimenez tanks--a VERY realistic possibility--Angelos will freak and the checkbook will close. I would have rather signed Capuano than him.

My real preference would have been Ervin Santana; BUT, as Roch Kubatko pointed out
Jimenez, 30, is more willing to pitch in the American League.

This is a problem we had with many of the pitchers we might have been interested in.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/o ... menez.html
http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... menez.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » February 17th, 2014, 10:19 pm

This signing makes any pitcher with options destined for the minor leagues. This probably means that Zach Britton becomes the long man in the bullpen (unless he is traded), and Matusz the specialty lefty in the pen.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » February 17th, 2014, 10:38 pm

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jimenub01.shtml

The more and more I look at his stats. I think "This is another #4 type SP" I am still not happy about this. This doesn't make sense. Yes, the man has been largely durable but he's not a true inning eater, he's not going to offer superior results. So far as I can see the only thing it does long term is give Gausman, Wright and perhaps Rodriguez a shot at development time in the minors.

I would rather have seen the team sign affordable depth in the form of replacement players and keep the draft intact. One injury to your starting rotation and this team is a mess all over.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » February 18th, 2014, 8:59 am

Old Sneakers wrote:One injury to your starting rotation and this team is a mess all over.

What if we had an injury and we had not signed Jimenez? I don't understand your reasoning. Maybe I'm missing something.
Last edited by Seafordeagles on February 18th, 2014, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by AlexConway » February 18th, 2014, 9:05 am

I completely disagree with this sentiment. Jimenez has his clear flaws, but he has a great K% and some electric stuff. He'll be the 2-3 starter in the rotation and honestly, at the current market prices what he got is just about right. Flawless pitchers don't come on the market and if they do the Orioles won't be able to sign them. Santana has his faults as well, he has a below average K% and some consistency issues and he'll likely get the same deal Jimenez got from another team.

Giving up the draft pick sucks, but it happens. The price of doing business. If they didn't sign Jimenez than they would have been a middling team with the excellent young position player core they only get to keep for cheap for two more years. Jimenez makes this team a true playoff contender right now.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » February 18th, 2014, 9:52 am

AlexConway wrote:I completely disagree with this sentiment. Jimenez has his clear flaws, but he has a great K% and some electric stuff. He'll be the 2-3 starter in the rotation and honestly, at the current market prices what he got is just about right. Flawless pitchers don't come on the market and if they do the Orioles won't be able to sign them. Santana has his faults as well, he has a below average K% and some consistency issues and he'll likely get the same deal Jimenez got from another team.

Giving up the draft pick sucks, but it happens. The price of doing business. If they didn't sign Jimenez than they would have been a middling team with the excellent young position player core they only get to keep for cheap for two more years. Jimenez makes this team a true playoff contender right now.

Well said and I especially like the playoff contender part.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by DougDE » February 18th, 2014, 11:49 am

Sometimes the season directly in front of you has to matter. It can't always be about 3-5 years down the line or eventually people stop paying attention. He was not over paid based on the market. We didn't have 5 sure starters which I think made this deal necessary. We still might not, the chances of Gonzalez, Chen, and Norris all throwing 180+ innings is slim in my opinion. But we're a lot closer to possibly having a contending rotation today then we were yesterday. Losing the pick stinks, and I think a ridiculous rule for players of Jimenez's caliber, but that's the current cost of doing business
DougDE
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » February 18th, 2014, 5:17 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jimenub01.shtml

The more and more I look at his stats. I think "This is another #4 type SP" I am still not happy about this. This doesn't make sense. Yes, the man has been largely durable but he's not a true inning eater, he's not going to offer superior results. So far as I can see the only thing it does long term is give Gausman, Wright and perhaps Rodriguez a shot at development time in the minors.

I would rather have seen the team sign affordable depth in the form of replacement players and keep the draft intact. One injury to your starting rotation and this team is a mess all over.

I thought this was an interesting read:

MLB leaders in ERA, second half of 2013 (minimun 80 IP):
1.59 - Clayton Kershaw, L.A. Dodgers
1.82 - Ubaldo Jimenez, Cleveland
1.85 - Zack Greinke, L.A. Dodgers

Jimenez allowed two runs or less in 21 of his last 28 starts, going 13-7 with a 2.61 ERA. That is, for sure, on the plus side. He also allowed a batting average of just .211 when pitching with runners in scoring position and two outs and just .173 when he was ahead on the count.
Jimenez has made at least 31 starts and pitched at least 176 2/3 innings in each of the last six seasons, three times throwing 198 innings or more. He allows a career .689 OPS to right-handed batters and a .709 mark to lefties, so he does well against hitters from both sides of the plate.
AL leaders, strikeouts per nine innings, 2013:
11.89 - Yu Darvish, Texas
10.06 - Max Scherzer, Detroit
9.99 - Anibal Sanchez, Detroit
9.56 - Ubaldo Jimenez, Cleveland
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » February 18th, 2014, 5:31 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I thought this was an interesting read:

MLB leaders in ERA, second half of 2013 (minimun 80 IP):
1.59 - Clayton Kershaw, L.A. Dodgers
1.82 - Ubaldo Jimenez, Cleveland
1.85 - Zack Greinke, L.A. Dodgers

Jimenez allowed two runs or less in 21 of his last 28 starts, going 13-7 with a 2.61 ERA. That is, for sure, on the plus side. He also allowed a batting average of just .211 when pitching with runners in scoring position and two outs and just .173 when he was ahead on the count.
Jimenez has made at least 31 starts and pitched at least 176 2/3 innings in each of the last six seasons, three times throwing 198 innings or more. He allows a career .689 OPS to right-handed batters and a .709 mark to lefties, so he does well against hitters from both sides of the plate.
AL leaders, strikeouts per nine innings, 2013:
11.89 - Yu Darvish, Texas
10.06 - Max Scherzer, Detroit
9.99 - Anibal Sanchez, Detroit
9.56 - Ubaldo Jimenez, Cleveland

You have done an excellent job of documenting the inconsistent enigma that is Ubaldo Jimenez.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by Seafordeagles » February 18th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Just trying to stay positive and not dwell on the negative. You should try it sometime. You should heed your own advice that you told me on 2 different occasions. You remember don't you? If not, here it is: WISHIN and HOPIN and BITCHIN ISN'T going to change the status quo....................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » February 18th, 2014, 5:55 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
What if we had an injury and we had not signed Jimenez? I don't understand your reasoning. Maybe I'm missing something.

Chen and Gonzalez are not true inning eating types. Yes, they have value but they are also prone to the effects of a long season. Jimenez also isn't a inning eater. If any of the starting five in the rotation go down for several starts due to injury then Gausman, Wright or Rodriguez will get called up. Wasting options and valuable development time. I honestly see 2013 as a wasted year for Gausman and do not want to see that happen to him again. Remember his ceiling is that of an ace. He won't live up to that unless he gets real time in Norfolk.

It doesn't have to be that way. If perhaps Yoon can get a few spot starts here and there and do well. This wasting options scenario can be avoided. If someone other than Hunter closes, then he also becomes a solid option. Once Burnett was signed I was more in favor of signing multiple replacement players. They would have come cheap and without the loss of a draft choice.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles