Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Draft Q&A

Draft Q&A

PostPost #1 by Don » May 7th, 2011, 11:22 am

Hello Everyone...

I am back from Alabama from visiting family members. Things were better than most and my family did not have the great deal of impact as other parts of the state. They were roughly a 30 minute drive from the closest tornado and thankfully everyone is okay.

Anyway.... I want to do a question and answer for the draft and any topic related to it. You can ask questions regarding anything related to what you look for in players, why this over something else, etc...

I will take these questions and break down a report. Any questions that I do not answer, I will append in the forum or private messaged depending on the type of question asked.

Thanks,
Don Olsen
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

Re: Draft Q&A

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » May 7th, 2011, 1:12 pm

Softball to open the questions. Picking as early as the O's are in round one, what is the better way to go 1. The safer more developed player or the higher risk higher reward player?
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » May 7th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Question: Is there a direct correlation to draft success in regards to the draft budget?
(I am thinking in a five year time frame vs. paper success)
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by Don » May 8th, 2011, 5:30 pm

I have not forgot about anyone and simply going to take a log of questions and respond over a posted article. Ones that Jordan omits, I will provide a private message depending on what you ask.

Things can even be in retrospect and I can go back to 1995, since I have been asked to submit my reports to friends of other organizations. If you want my honest answer to not so nice results by any team, it will definitely be a PM.

Keep them coming...
Don
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » May 12th, 2011, 4:34 am

Question: I personally like pitching prospects with a four pitch repertoire like Brian Matusz or even Tyler Matzec. This year's class appears to be deficient in prospects of this nature. My question is, how difficult is it for a prospect, be it college or high school to add that fourth pitch and it be more than a show me type option?

Question: Is there any percentage data across MLB that shows what a player drafted like Cameron Coffey's (In regard to injury) chances of becoming a major league pitcher are?

Question: Much has been made of the former group in Pittsburgh as well as Arizona, what other teams are suspected of picking to saving money in the draft?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #6 by Rising O's » May 17th, 2011, 9:30 am

There's some chatter about the Pirates going Bundy #1 today. Any reason to believe this is a more than 20% possibility?
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Return to MLB Draft