Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Help Orioles Nation Improve

Help Orioles Nation Improve

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » February 4th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Help Orioles Nation Improve http://bit.ly/1cRHfq0

The staff at Orioles Nation has been working hard this off-season to prepare our website for the 2014 season. However, we realize that there are always improvements that can help make the experience of visiting ON better. Below, we kindly ask you to provide feedback to further improve our development. Constructive criticism is welcome. Trolling is also welcome.

Thank you,

Tucker
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Help Orioles Nation Improve

PostPost #2 by osforlife » February 4th, 2014, 8:26 pm

I would like to be able to log in from the home page, to avoid having to go to the forums, logging in, and going back to the forums.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » February 5th, 2014, 5:01 am

Content creation is always about managing time. I do not want to see anyone burn out or sour on the subject. That said throw out any suggestion that are more work that it is worth.

Along withe current prospect watch pages, I wouldn't mind seeing a break down start by start of minor/major league pitchers. Certainly IP, hits, walks, runs, earned runs, whip and number of pitchers. Seeing Chris Tillman turn things around in 2012 was incredible. As was seeing Mike Wright improve as the season went on last year. It would be nice to look and say "This was when something changed"

I'd like to see us partake in a three round mock draft around June 1st and create either a podcast type download or page where a select number of us control the drafting of so many teams. These things online are usually wildly different but many different people see things from different points of view. Could be fun for us and good promotion for Orioles Nation. I'd like to see the site and forum get some promotion! This is a good place for fans and it seems to operate without extreme moderation or plethora of rules. I also note that Tucker (or Jordan before him) isn't fleecing anyone to post/read the opinions of others.

Lastly, I wouldn't mind seeing something "Outside of the box" like a member diary. Some members have strong opinions regarding issues that either come up or are ongoing. Guys like Ofahn, osforlife and myself sometimes go off on tangents on this subject or another. I know I have written a few chapters before. I wouldn't mind a subsection where members can post a lengthy thoughts (or series of them) from time to time when they really want to take on and express a large opinion. This isn't for the daily quips or three liners. I am talking the "HUGE" posts that can annoy other members not interested in reading for 20 minutes. What the qualifications are to have your own Member Diary would be is up to Tucker. Sometimes, I've nothing to say and then without warning I am dishing out three years of therapy. I suppose this would be an alternative to contributing an article.

Just ideas.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by osforlife » February 5th, 2014, 11:19 am

Also, Tucker, it would be great if a ON fantasy baseball league was finally finished this year. I know there have been some suggestions and rumblings the previous years, but I'd like to see it go through this year. That would be a lot of fun and maybe take away some of our anger towards the Orioles throughout the season. I would suggest at least an eight team league, on ESPN, with a snake draft, and a required $20 entry.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » February 5th, 2014, 8:36 pm

All,

Thanks for the feedback!
To start, I am usually pretty good about not letting myself burn out. There will be days (like today) where I just step back and take a breath. I also do some work on other websites (to be announced soon). I will yell at any of the writers if they go too crazy with workload during the season. Fresh is the best.

- I will see what can happen about logging in from the front page, although the message board acts as a "separate" website. I will ask Jordan if this is possible, since he is the guru behind all the technical stuff!

- The break down of starts is a great idea, although I think Baseball reference basically does this already. But I would definitely think about tracking that on the site in some manner. Maybe a weekly update would be a good thing.

- On a mock draft, I would always be in favor of that. Although, I doubt I will personally have the time to run it. If anyone would want to come forward and take the reigns of it, I would be all for it. The whole point of this website is to educate and have fun. If one or the other is not involved, then what is being accomplished?

- On promotion... I have a few things in the works ;) . I promise that this place will be rolling once the season starts. I also am super lenient on what I allow. As long as people are not posting death threats, I am pretty much going to let y'all work it out. Message boards are for venting at times, and I enjoy watching it happen. I don't post many vents, but I have them internally!

- The member diary, subsection is interesting. Not sure exactly how to do that, but will think about it.

- Fantasy. I would love to make a fantasy team/group. Although, after playing Fangraphs Ottoneu, I don't think I could personally play anything else. It is easily the best fantasy format out there. Jordan, Alex and a few others can attest to that.

I received a bunch of other comments via the feedback form, and they were good!
Thanks for this everyone, it certainly helps.

My goal is to get Jordan's masterpiece back up to speed, and I think it is going smoothly so far! I promise that there will be plenty-more coming in the future
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » February 10th, 2014, 1:09 pm

Personally I don't like the different forums where you have to click a different link like "minor leagues" and "around the majors". They are hardly used or posted on. Although I don't have a solution either to make it better for me. The only thing I can think of is making it all one forum.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » February 13th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Personally I don't like the different forums where you have to click a different link like "minor leagues" and "around the majors". They are hardly used or posted on. Although I don't have a solution either to make it better for me. The only thing I can think of is making it all one forum.

Totally understand this, but can't do it. Sorry!
It's just how I need it separated. It makes a lot more sense during the season.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 15th, 2014, 11:31 am

osforlife wrote:I would like to be able to log in from the home page, to avoid having to go to the forums, logging in, and going back to the forums.

The main site runs on WordPress, and the forums on phpBB. There is a plugin that would allow you to login from the home page, but it's not really worth installing due to the server load it would add.

What do you mean, going to the forums, logging in, and back?
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #9 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 15th, 2014, 11:38 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Personally I don't like the different forums where you have to click a different link like "minor leagues" and "around the majors". They are hardly used or posted on. Although I don't have a solution either to make it better for me. The only thing I can think of is making it all one forum.

The minors and majors sections need to be separated. Although the minors section is quiet now, during the season there is a lot more going on with it. A lot of ON readers come here just to read the minors content, so it's best to keep them separated.

When the site picks up more readers the other sections will be used a lot more.

Obviously, it's Tucker's decision.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » February 15th, 2014, 11:43 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Fantasy. I would love to make a fantasy team/group. Although, after playing Fangraphs Ottoneu, I don't think I could personally play anything else. It is easily the best fantasy format out there. Jordan, Alex and a few others can attest to that.

Ottoneu is the best fantasy format without a doubt. You can check out the BSL league, which Tucker and I play in. http://ottoneu.fangraphs.com/325/home

My team name is Jordan Tuwiner...I'm set up really nicely for this season already and still have $200 to spend!

TuckerBlair89 wrote:My goal is to get Jordan's masterpiece back up to speed, and I think it is going smoothly so far! I promise that there will be plenty-more coming in the future

I'm looking forward to what's to come. It's going to be strange reading the site as an outside this season! But it'll be my go to site for Orioles updates.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by osforlife » February 16th, 2014, 11:16 am

Jordan Tuwiner wrote:The main site runs on WordPress, and the forums on phpBB. There is a plugin that would allow you to login from the home page, but it's not really worth installing due to the server load it would add.

What do you mean, going to the forums, logging in, and back?

So when I get on a computer to go on Orioles-Nation, I;

1. Type in Orioles-Nation into the URL
2. Click on Forums
3. Click the Login Button
4. Login
5. Click on the Forums to get back to them

I figured you guys could delete step two, so I could just login from the home page. But, it's really not a big deal at all.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » February 18th, 2014, 11:32 am

I will leave this up to Jordan, since he honestly knows better than I would.
If it slows down the site, I would probably prefer to not have that.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Return to Baltimore Orioles