Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Agents have learned from failed physicals with the Orioles

Re: Agents have learned from failed physicals with the Orioles

PostPost #16 by thezeroes » February 13th, 2014, 6:14 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Man, it's like dealing with a politician. time to move on....................

Not quite. They like to spend without a budget in place.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #17 by Tucker Blair » February 13th, 2014, 7:09 pm

Relax guys, it's just baseball!

Overall, some really strong points on both sides. I don't necessarily agree that this FA had nobody available for a reasonable length of contract, but your overall point has some validity.

I also completely agree that the failed physical crap has been overblown. I had a person that works for a MLB team say it perfectly "All teams have these things happen, but the O's apparently have a loose pipe in-house and he is leaking all over"
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #18 by Seafordeagles » February 13th, 2014, 7:59 pm

This from Forbes: Orioles second-most profitable franchise in baseball says Forbes

If there were a World Series for turning a profit in baseball, we’d be looking at a Baltimore-Chicago matchup in 2013.

In a comparison released this week, the Baltimore Orioles were ranked #2 in profitability in Major League Baseball with $30.1 million in operating income, slightly behind the Chicago Cubs with $32.1 million. By comparison, the New York Yankees, ranked tops in overall value, made only $1.4 million in operating income.

This is from 2013. I rest my case............................The Orioles are raking it in.

This from October 2013

Tom Clancy Made $230 Million Profit On Investment In Baltimore Orioles

Best-selling author Tom Clancy, who died yesterday, and his former wife Wanda, have made a $230 million pretax profit on his original investment in the Baltimore Orioles.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/mikeozanian ... e-orioles/
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #19 by ofahn » February 17th, 2014, 11:39 am

Seafordeagles wrote:I know they would lose the #17 pick (pure crapshoot if the pick makes it or not), would they lose another pick?

Yes. They would lose their SECOND Round pick if they sign two free agents that have turned down qualifying offers. IMO neither Cruz nor Morales are worth that at their current contract demands.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by ofahn » February 17th, 2014, 11:41 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Losing the supplemental draft pick last year didn't matter to Duquette in the Norris trade.

... and I don't see how doubling down on a bad decision makes any sense.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by ofahn » February 17th, 2014, 11:45 am

Seafordeagles wrote:This is from 2013. I rest my case............................The Orioles are raking it in.

Um ... ; so what? We seem to agree that Angelos is not making the appropriate investment in this team, but we apparently disagree on what that investment should be.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles