Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Suk-Min Yoon And O's Reach Agreement (Pending Physical!)

Orioles Reportedly Front-Runners To Sign Suk-Min Yoon

PostPost #1 by osforlife » February 3rd, 2014, 5:27 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/02/l ... -yoon.html

As many as five teams are still showing interest in Korean right-hander Suk-Min Yoon, according to Sang-Soo Kwon of Korean news outlet JoongAng Daily (hat tip: MyKBO.net's Dan Kurtz). According to Kwon, the Orioles are the front-runners to sign Yoon at this point, but the Rangers, Cubs, Twins and Giants have interest as well. The Orioles and Giants reportedly attended a workout held by Yoon at the UC-Irvine campus over the weekend.

Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com reports (on Twitter) that Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette wouldn't confirm the team's interest in Yoon when asked on Saturday, but he also didn't deny any of the reports. The Orioles have added a pair of notable Asian players in recent years, inking Tsuyoshi Wada and Wei-Yin Chen to multi-year deals. Kwon also points out Duquette's history of Korean additions from his days as GM of the Red Sox; Boston inked lefty Sang-Hoon Lee, right-hander Sun-woo Kim, right-hander Seung-Joon Song, and infielder Tae-in Chae.

Tim Dierkes provided Yoon's Free Agent Profile here; http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/f ... -yoon.html

He's being labeled as the second best starter to come out of the KBO, behind Hyun-jin Ryu. Ryu signed with the Los Angeles Dodgers for $36MM for six years, and he rewarded them with a nice rookie season; http://www.baseball-reference.com/playe ... hy01.shtml . Although those stats look good at first glance, remember that that pretty 3.00 ERA is supported by a 2.32 ERA in cozy Dodger Stadium. Also, remember that he is pitching in a league with no DH in a division that is considered one of the weakest in baseball(4th/6th in winning percentage). A less talented Ryu, in the American League, let alone the American League East, while in Camden Yards half the time, may not be the prettiest. That being said, I'd project him at being a back of the rotation pitcher, similar to Bud Norris. I'd still love to add a twenty seven year old korean starting pitcher for cheap without draft pick compensation.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Reportedly Front-Runners To Sign Suk-Min Yoon

PostPost #2 by AlexConway » February 4th, 2014, 8:57 am

It is interesting. He could be either a starter or a reliever as he did both in Korea. Duquette said repeatedly at Fanfest that he wanted to sign two pitchers. I assumed that meant a starter and reliever. However, if they sign Yoon and AJ Burnett, that would be two starter candidates. Yoon is a major wild card, but if they sign Burnett/Arroyo as well, I think it is a battle between Yoon and Norris for the final rotation spot.

Regardless, with Spring Training so close, these dominoes have to start falling soon. This has been such a weird off-season for the MLB. A ton of activity early and everyone has been in a holding pattern since.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #3 by ofahn » February 4th, 2014, 11:36 am

osforlife wrote:I'd project him at being a back of the rotation pitcher, similar to Bud Norris. I'd still love to add a twenty seven year old korean starting pitcher for cheap without draft pick compensation

IMO the collateral value of these types of prospects is the ability to use them to trade for immediate needs.

Let's suppose that our core players are having career or near career years this season and we decide we need a real #1 SP to be a legit championship caliber team. If the White Sox are willing to trade Chris Sale and are willing to accept Dylan Bundy as the centerpiece of the trade they will still want at least two other solid prospects. If Yoon were at Norfolk and putting up solid numbers he might be one of those pieces, which means we get to keep one of our few other legit prospects.

It's realistic that we'll need to acquire via trade at least a starting 1B and maybe a C after the 2015 season. We'll need as many prospects in our system as possible to accomplish trades like that. I'd be ecstatic if we loaded the farm system with these kind of players so we could continue building a winning team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by ofahn » February 4th, 2014, 11:39 am

AlexConway wrote:This has been such a weird off-season for the MLB. A ton of activity early and everyone has been in a holding pattern since.

The SMART teams have been willing to wait until these players become realistic about their demands.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by mikezpen » February 7th, 2014, 10:03 am

ofahn wrote:The SMART teams have been willing to wait until these players become realistic about their demands.

Are the Orioles smart or are they just too cheap to do anything significant?
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » February 7th, 2014, 12:18 pm

mikezpen wrote:
Are the Orioles smart or are they just too cheap to do anything significant?

I think you nailed it about the cheap part.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Suk-Min Yoon And O's Reach Agreement (Pending Physical!)

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » February 13th, 2014, 9:00 am

https://twitter.com/JonHeymanCBS/status ... 1236167680
Jon Heyman @JonHeymanCBS
orioles, suk-min yoon have agreement, pending physical. (and it looks good) http://cbsprt.co/1lIwlp2

Britt Ghiroli saying the deal is for 3 years 5.75 Million.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Suk-Min Yoon And O's Reach Agreement (Pending Physical!)

PostPost #8 by Seafordeagles » February 13th, 2014, 9:27 am

I guess I won't believe it until the press conference.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #9 by ofahn » February 13th, 2014, 9:47 am

I don't expect any wrinkles in this process. The FO HAS to be sensitive to the physical issue so it's reasonable to believe that they did their medical due diligence BEFORE they agreed to terms. Of course, if THIS one collapses there's NO plausible explanation outside of someone having their cranium within their rectal orifice.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by ofahn » February 13th, 2014, 10:07 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Britt Ghiroli saying the deal is for 3 years 5.75 Million.

IMO this kind of deal makes more sense than Santana. Not that he'll pitch the same or more innings than Ervin; he won't. The upside is he's easy on the payroll, gives us the same three years, and doesn't cost a draft pick which results in an overall addition to the talent base.

Will Yoon contribute to as many wins in 2014 as Santana? Of course not; but will the three or four game difference really push this team into the playoffs? Of course not. Not unless Chen and Markakis get healthy and play like they're capable of AND Adam Jones develops some plate discipline AND Chris Davis accepts that he doesn't have to carry this team on his (VERY broad) shoulders AND Hardy and Wieters learn that OBP is something more than three disjointed letters AND Tillman learns that getting at least 21 outs per start is MORE important than his K rate AND Miguel Gonzalez develops stamina AND Bud Norris and Tommy Hunter learn how to get LH hitters out with consistency.

If we could REALISTICALLY count on two thirds of those things happening then I would be beating the drum to sign Santana AND Morales, but I live in the real world so I can see why it would be better to convert Davis and Wieters into the rest of the foundation for our next championship team and move forward.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by ofahn » February 13th, 2014, 11:11 am

osforlife wrote:I'd project him at being a back of the rotation pitcher, similar to Bud Norris. I'd still love to add a twenty seven year old korean starting pitcher for cheap without draft pick compensation.

IF we can add a place holder OR someone like Britton steps up and grabs a rotation spot Yoon might put us in a position to trade Norris in July and get something back for him.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » February 13th, 2014, 11:19 am

mikezpen wrote:Are the Orioles smart or are they just too cheap to do anything significant?

IMO the cheap argument has some validity, but so does the smart.

Because we were cheap we missed out on the best signing of the winter which, IMO, was Tim Hudson 23M/2 to the Giants; and last year when we would take a risk on Ervin Santana's 12M salary in a trade. The Royals got him for NOTHING.

Other than Hudson I really didn't think there was much that would have made a real difference this winter, and what I was interested in ended up costing more than I thought was reasonable or prudent. Consequently, IMO, that supports the smart argument.

Now, if we spend about 15M on International talent and the penalties associated with that kind of investment this summer then there's no longer a question of cheap and we have proven we are smart.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Old Sneakers » February 13th, 2014, 11:35 am

Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #14 by Tucker Blair » February 16th, 2014, 1:42 am

Yoon has officially passed his physical according to sources out of Korea.

He's officially an O.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #15 by Old Sneakers » February 16th, 2014, 10:17 am

Lets hope he sticks as a starter. If not he's still going to prove an astute signing as a reliever as the price tag wasn't huge.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles