Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

A.J. Burnett Will Pitch In 2014, Test Open Market

Re: A.J. Burnett Will Pitch In 2014, Test Open Market

PostPost #16 by ofahn » January 31st, 2014, 5:45 pm

thezeroes wrote:Burnett for the "Qualifying offer" ($14 Million) and Arroyo for $10 Million + incentives would finish the offseason.

I've been suggesting those two since the end of last season although I'm not sure the suggested 100M budget would cover both. I've said for a while that it should be about 110M. That extra 10M would allow them to sign Rodney, too.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by ofahn » January 31st, 2014, 5:46 pm

osforlife wrote:It's time to make this happen Mr. Duquette.

Change DUQUETTE to ANGELOS and we're in agreement.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #18 by ofahn » January 31st, 2014, 5:49 pm

osforlife wrote:Cross Scott Baker off the list. He was just signed by the Mariners to a minor league deal. Absolutely ridiculous. Not sure why the Orioles weren't in on him.

Baker may have believed the same thing that Joe Saunders did; that he could put up better numbers in Seattle to rebuild his value. Of course, if he has to pitch in the PCL that plan may not work so well. He better have an opt out clause.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » January 31st, 2014, 5:49 pm

I may be wrong since I haven't done any research and I really don't have a clue. Were their any teams in major league baseball in 2013 that went with less than a 7 man bullpen?
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #20 by ofahn » January 31st, 2014, 5:50 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:I may be wrong since I haven't done any research and I really don't have a clue. Were their any teams in major league baseball in 2013 that went with less than a 7 man bullpen?

Probably not, but then thinking outside the box is not a well known baseball trait.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by osforlife » January 31st, 2014, 6:12 pm

ofahn wrote:I feel very much differently about that. IMO we shouldn't NEED even a seven man bullpen. It's not unreasonable to ask for at least six innings per start and a reliever should be able to get at least six outs. If an effective Eighth Inning guy is actually allowed to finish a game when they're clearly dominant in their first inning of work there's no reason to bring in a "closer" in the ninth.

By reducing the BP to six pitchers you leave room on the bench for a truly professional hitter that can work a count and get the bit hit when it's called for. IMO that player will positively affect more games than a fringe seventh BP guy.

It's not about whether we SHOULD have a six/seven man bullpen, it's that I believe a decent 40 inning reliever is more valuable than a useless bench guy like Nolan Reimold, Travis Ishikawa, Mike Morse, and/or Alexi Casilla. All a team needs IMO is a back-up catcher, a 4th outfielder, and a back-up infielder, if the team has somebody like Ryan Flaherty. If not, a back-up middle infielder and a back-up corner infielder works too. 8 starters/4 bench guys(platoon partners)/8 relievers/5 starters.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #22 by ofahn » February 4th, 2014, 11:45 am

osforlife wrote:I believe a decent 40 inning reliever is more valuable than a useless bench guy like Nolan Reimold, Travis Ishikawa, Mike Morse, and/or Alexi Casilla.

So do I, but I wasn't suggesting one of those stiffs. Rather, I wanted like Lance Berkman or Hideki Matsui or Brian Roberts IN THEIR LAST EFFECTIVE YEARS. A professional hitter that would run up the count and make the most of the AB.

As bad as most of the breaks went against us last year you could make the case that having a hitter like that come to the plate in a crucial point in any of about 25 games last year could have made us eight wins better and a wildcard team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #23 by ofahn » February 4th, 2014, 11:46 am

osforlife wrote:I believe a decent 40 inning reliever is more valuable than a useless bench guy like Nolan Reimold, Travis Ishikawa, Mike Morse, and/or Alexi Casilla.

So do I, but I wasn't suggesting one of those stiffs. Rather, I wanted someone like Lance Berkman or Hideki Matsui or Brian Roberts IN THEIR LAST EFFECTIVE YEARS. A professional hitter that would run up the count and make the most of the AB.

As bad as most of the breaks went against us last year you could make the case that having a hitter like that come to the plate in a crucial point in any of about 25 games last year could have made us eight wins better and a wildcard team.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #24 by osforlife » February 4th, 2014, 8:21 pm

ofahn wrote:So do I, but I wasn't suggesting one of those stiffs. Rather, I wanted someone like Lance Berkman or Hideki Matsui or Brian Roberts IN THEIR LAST EFFECTIVE YEARS. A professional hitter that would run up the count and make the most of the AB.

I agree with your logic, but a lot of times, that 25th man is so useless. A big pinch hit bopper would be nice, but in the American League, with the designated hitter, most of the time, the best available hitter is already at the plate. Or else, the greater hitter would already have been at the plate by now.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #25 by mikezpen » February 7th, 2014, 10:00 am

Arroyo gives up too many HRs. In the East, he'd be a disaster. If the Os sign Burnett, it w/b a better move.I'd have some faith in them.Right now, as far as I'm concerned, they've done nothing this off-season.If fact, they weakened themselves by giving away JJohnson for a couple of pieces of junk.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #26 by osforlife » February 8th, 2014, 11:39 am

A week ago, these were the remaining solid starting pitchers on the free agent market that weren't tied to draft pick compensation;

1. Bronson Arroyo
2. Scott Baker
3. A.J. Burnett
4. Chris Capuano
5. Paul Maholm
6. Suk-Min Yoon

Arroyo signed with the Diamondbacks. Baker signed with the Mariners. Maholm is about to sign with the Dodgers. Not sure what the Orioles are waiting for...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #27 by Old Sneakers » February 8th, 2014, 2:10 pm

I suspect the interested clubs are playing chicken with the remaining free agents. If Yoon signs with the Orioles, won't there be a mad dash to scoop up who is left?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #28 by osforlife » February 8th, 2014, 7:55 pm

The Orioles need more than Suk-Min Yoon.

Paul Maholm just signed for a guaranteed $1.5MM. Earlier in the off-season, Jason Vargas signed for $8MM a year.

Paul Maholm Career; 4.28 ERA, 1.397 WHIP, 1.97 SO/BB
Jason Vargas Career; 4.30 ERA, 1.319 WHIP, 2.12 SO/BB

I AM OUT OF WORDS
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #29 by Seafordeagles » February 8th, 2014, 8:46 pm

osforlife wrote:The Orioles need more than Suk-Min Yoon.

Paul Maholm just signed for a guaranteed $1.5MM. Earlier in the off-season, Jason Vargas signed for $8MM a year.

Paul Maholm Career; 4.28 ERA, 1.397 WHIP, 1.97 SO/BB
Jason Vargas Career; 4.30 ERA, 1.319 WHIP, 2.12 SO/BB

I AM OUT OF WORDS

Duquette told Roch the other day that we have plenty of options in the minors. They will not sign anyone notable per the owner's agenda. Look for more minor league deals.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #30 by Tucker Blair » February 12th, 2014, 11:55 am

Burnett has agreed to a 1yr deal with the Phillies.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PreviousNext

Return to Baltimore Orioles