Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Recent MLB Developments

Recent MLB Developments

PostPost #1 by osforlife » February 6th, 2014, 6:55 pm

1. Mariners To Sign Fernando Rodney

The Mariners have agreed to a two-year, $14MM deal with reliever Fernando Rodney. Soon to turn 37, Rodney established himself as one of the game's most dominant relievers during a 2012 career renaissance in Tampa Bay. Notching 48 saves for the Rays, Rodney threw 74 2/3 innings of 0.60 ERA ball that year, striking out 9.2 per nine while walking just 1.8 per nine. Though he was less dominant last year, Rodney still produced a 3.38 ERA over 66 2/3 innings, upping his strikeouts to a career-best 11.1 K/9 while surrendering 4.9 BB/9 (much closer to his career mark than the year prior).

You can have him Mariners, and thank you for taking the Orioles out of the possibility.

Fernando Rodney 2011-2013; 2.39 ERA, 1.160 WHIP, and 2.33 SO/BB
Francisco Rodriguez 2011-2013; 3.31 ERA, 1.287 WHIP, and 2.89 SO/BB
Luis Ayala 2011-2013; 2.58 ERA, 1.323 WHIP, 2.38 SO/BB
Pat Neshek 2011-2013; 3.08 ERA, 1.323 WHIP, 1.51 SO/BB

Take into account that Rodney had the best season by a reliever in the history of the game in 2012. Now, even though Rodney may(probably is) be the best in this bunch, doesn't mean he's worth roughly 12x more.

2. Astors DFA Brett Wallace

The Astros have designated Brett Wallace for assignment to make roster space for newly signed pitcher Jerome Williams. Wallace is still just 27 years of age and has shown the ability to get on base in the upper minors, where his career Triple-A OBP has approached the .400 mark. Wallace began to translate his power into production at the MLB level, hitting 22 long balls in his last 539 trips to bat over 2012-13. Wallace is out of options, which complicates his situation for clubs that might like to take a chance on his upside.

I highlighted Brett Wallace in my topic here; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2303 . Now he's practically a free agent. Wilson Betemit has signed with the Rays, Tyler Colvin has yet to sign with the Orioles, and the Orioles say Henry Urrutia isn't ready. He's hit .249/.324/.413/.737 in his career against RHP, with potential room to grow.

3. Odrisamer Despaigne (27)?

This name has recently appeared on MLBTR's list of free agent starting pitchers. I think he's been playing in the Cuban League, with decent results. Does anybody have a scouting report? It seems like he could be decent AA depth to start with.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Recent MLB Developments

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » February 6th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Neshek signed with the Cardinals.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Recent MLB Developments

PostPost #3 by osforlife » February 8th, 2014, 10:06 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Neshek signed with the Cardinals.

That was very freaky. Francisco Rodriguez, Luis Ayala, and Pat Neshek all signed very shortly after this post.They were the three alternatives I suggested to Fernando Rodney. I would have liked for the Orioles to sign one. I wish I was the GM. Regardless, the bullpen is fine. Baltimore needs to sign a starting pitcher already.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles