Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

A.J. Burnett Will Pitch In 2014, Test Open Market

A.J. Burnett Will Pitch In 2014, Test Open Market

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 29th, 2014, 12:40 pm

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/a ... rates.html

A.J. Burnett plans to play this year, reports Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, and the hurler may be open to pitching for a team other than the Pirates. This news throws a considerable wrinkle into the free agent pitching market.

The Orioles have been mentioned as a possible alternative landing spot for Burnett given his reported preference to play in close proximity to his Maryland home. Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun tweets that Burnett "would be at the top of the club's list."

It's time to make this happen Mr. Duquette. The Orioles have a glaring hole in the rotation, and Burnett can be signed to a one year deal without draft pick compensation. The only decent pitchers left on the market that aren't tied to draft pick compensation are;

1. Bronson Arroyo
2. Scott Baker
3. A.J. Burnett
4. Chris Capuano
5. Paul Maholm
6. Suk-Min Yoon

Hopefully, Baltimore signs two of these guys.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: A.J. Burnett Will Pitch In 2014, Test Open Market

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » January 29th, 2014, 2:00 pm

My gut tells me Burnett will re-sign with the Pirates. I hope my gut is wrong......................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by osforlife » January 29th, 2014, 2:08 pm

Cross Scott Baker off the list. He was just signed by the Mariners to a minor league deal. Absolutely ridiculous. Not sure why the Orioles weren't in on him. From 2007 to 2011, Baker pitched to a 3.98 ERA, a 1.241 WHIP, and a 3.48 SO/BB; a very solid record. Baker would have been the best pitcher, by far, the Orioles acquired all off-season for a freaking minor league deal.

Suk-Min Yoon is expected to sign soon...
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » January 29th, 2014, 6:40 pm

Burnett will cost some money. I have doubts about the team's willingness to spend it.

Shame too, Burnett could likely give the team a huge amount of innings enabling Gausman and McFarland time in Norfolk. Is this going to be another missed opportunity?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by Seafordeagles » January 29th, 2014, 6:43 pm

osforlife wrote:Cross Scott Baker off the list. He was just signed by the Mariners to a minor league deal. Absolutely ridiculous. Not sure why the Orioles weren't in on him. From 2007 to 2011, Baker pitched to a 3.98 ERA, a 1.241 WHIP, and a 3.48 SO/BB; a very solid record. Baker would have been the best pitcher, by far, the Orioles acquired all off-season for a freaking minor league deal.

Suk-Min Yoon is expected to sign soon...

I'm truly at a loss for words regarding this off season. The Orioles have a fantastic group of core players. I thought for sure they would do something SIGNIFICANT this off season. Duquette makes deals in July and gives away prospects for crap (sorry Bud Norris). Let's Feldman walk, Saunders the year before, I hate RENTING PLAYERS, than does nothing but speak in asinine cliches when questioned by reporters. OVERPAY FOR SOMEBODY, they have the money so spend it, at least make an effort for the fans of the Baltimore Orioles.

Arroyo just said on MLBTR that no one has made an offer to him this off season, MAKE HIM A OFFER. What in the hell are the Orioles doing? Offer Jimenez and Santana 3 year deals (they would be in our top 5 starters) and then move on if they don't accept it. Then let your fan base know what you offered and for how long. The #17 pick in the draft is pure crap shoot, some make it, most don't.

Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I feel better.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » January 29th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Thank you for letting me get this off my chest. I feel better.

Hey, that's what the board is for!
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #7 by dan72 » January 30th, 2014, 12:01 am

I will be shocked if the Orioles pay Burnett. You have to figure that he is going to want somewhere in the 12-15 million range, while I have my doubts about him in the AL east, he would eat innings and give you a chance to win every 5th day.
In my opinion he is the best option left at this point.
Should the Orioles sign Burnett and Rodney, this off season would look much better. As of now I have to question the ownerships commitment to winning. Which is why I am protesting this season by purposely NOT spending any money on tickets or gear..... what a shame that this team is laughed at by the national media.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by thezeroes » January 30th, 2014, 8:12 am

Burnett for the "Qualifying offer" ($14 Million) and Arroyo for $10 Million + incentives would finish the offseason. Both could have realistic goals that when achieved could kick in a contract for next year at a little less with more incentive based. Burnett could want a NO Trade Clause and I would make him buy that out of the contract for $2 Million, Arroyo could do the same for a cool million.

The draft slot for the first round is about $2 Million (17th)and the second round is about $1 Million (under 50th) and would stay in the pool for signing the first ten round players this June because neither of these players a compensation attached. These moves leave Gausman and McFarland at Norfolk to improve their respective arsenal for a late season push. This also gives the Orioles a chance to move Britton and Matusz if either prove to be effective in the upcoming campaign. If effective they could return lower level pitching prospects that would be 2015 replacements of same.

Starters in no particular order:
Tillman
Chen
Gonzalez
Arroyo
Burnett

Bullpen
Hunter
Norris
Webb
O'Day
Matusz
Britton
Brach
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » January 30th, 2014, 8:29 am

thezeroes wrote:Arroyo
Burnett

You sir, are thinking wishfully :lol:

Hey at least your rotation would be solid.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #10 by thezeroes » January 30th, 2014, 8:50 am

Old Sneakers wrote:You sir, are thinking wishfully

Tis the offseason, this is when you get to dream.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #11 by osforlife » January 30th, 2014, 7:18 pm

thezeroes wrote:Burnett for the "Qualifying offer" ($14 Million) and Arroyo for $10 Million + incentives would finish the offseason. Both could have realistic goals that when achieved could kick in a contract for next year at a little less with more incentive based. Burnett could want a NO Trade Clause and I would make him buy that out of the contract for $2 Million, Arroyo could do the same for a cool million.

The draft slot for the first round is about $2 Million (17th)and the second round is about $1 Million (under 50th) and would stay in the pool for signing the first ten round players this June because neither of these players a compensation attached. These moves leave Gausman and McFarland at Norfolk to improve their respective arsenal for a late season push. This also gives the Orioles a chance to move Britton and Matusz if either prove to be effective in the upcoming campaign. If effective they could return lower level pitching prospects that would be 2015 replacements of same.

Starters in no particular order:
Tillman
Chen
Gonzalez
Arroyo
Burnett

Bullpen
Hunter
Norris
Webb
O'Day
Matusz
Britton
Brach

1. Give me Chris Capuano on a one year deal for $3MM-$6MM over Bronson Arroyo for two years at $8MM-$10MM. Although Great American Ballpark is no easy place to pitch, neither is Baltimore, and the Orioles play with the designated hitter. Like I've said before, Arroyo scares me. He'll get a multi-year deal thanks to his durability and control. But, the guy gives up a ton of home-runs and doesn't strike anybody out. His ERA constantly outperforms his FIP, but the peripherals suggest he's an average-to-below average pitcher in the national league.

2. I wish Duquette would trade Britton and Matusz right now. LOOGY's are easily replaceable, and the Orioles have an abundance of them in Troy Patton, Kelvin De La Cruz, Mike Belfiore, Chris Jones, Andy Loomis, Jason Gurka, Ashur Tolliver, Trent Howard, and Zach Fowler, and Aaron Laffey, all of whom should see time in the upper levels of the minors. There are several left handed relief pitchers on the free agent market too, in case Britton and Matusz were indeed traded away.

3. Would you really include Brach in your bullpen? He has an option remaining, so I figured he would go to Norfolk. Also, even though I would like them too, I doubt Baltimore will go with an eight man bullpen.

Rotation;

1. Chris Tillman
2. Miguel Gonzalez
3. Wei Yin Chen
4. A.J. Burnett
5. Chris Capuano/Bud Norris

Bullpen;

1. Darren O'Day
2. Tommy Hunter
3. Ryan Webb
4. Kelvin De La Cruz
5. Edgmer Escalona
6. Josh Stinson
7. Bud Norris/Chris Capuano
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by AlexConway » January 30th, 2014, 7:27 pm

Iv'e thought and said for a while that they should sign two starters and move Bud Norris to the bullpen. I doubt they will do that at this point though. My guess is they sign one starter and Rodney. I'd be fine with that, but not ecstatic.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #13 by thezeroes » January 30th, 2014, 11:51 pm

osforlife wrote:3. Would you really include Brach in your bullpen? He has an option remaining, so I figured he would go to Norfolk. Also, even though I would like them too, I doubt Baltimore will go with an eight man bullpen.

It is because of the Option. Somebody would have to go when Patton returns.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

PostPost #14 by ofahn » January 31st, 2014, 5:33 pm

AlexConway wrote:Iv'e thought and said for a while that they should sign two starters and move Bud Norris to the bullpen.

Agreed.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #15 by ofahn » January 31st, 2014, 5:42 pm

osforlife wrote:even though I would like them too, I doubt Baltimore will go with an eight man bullpen

I feel very much differently about that. IMO we shouldn't NEED even a seven man bullpen. It's not unreasonable to ask for at least six innings per start and a reliever should be able to get at least six outs. If an effective Eighth Inning guy is actually allowed to finish a game when they're clearly dominant in their first inning of work there's no reason to bring in a "closer" in the ninth.

By reducing the BP to six pitchers you leave room on the bench for a truly professional hitter that can work a count and get the bit hit when it's called for. IMO that player will positively affect more games than a fringe seventh BP guy.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles