Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

From MLBTR: Orioles Making Progress With Fernando Rodney

From MLBTR: Orioles Making Progress With Fernando Rodney

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2014, 3:20 pm

Short article with the link. I really don't have any feelings one way or the other. I've never been a fan, maybe all the theatrics, I don't know.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/o ... odney.html

The Orioles are "making progress" with free agent closer Fernando Rodney, tweets Jonah Keri of Grantland.com. In addition to adding a closer, Baltimore is expected to make one additional "significant" move, Keri writes.

After dealing away incumbent closer Jim Johnson, the O's have been looking for a replacement. Baltimore originally agreed to terms with Grant Balfour on a two-year, $15MM deal, but ultimately declined to go through with the deal after finding issues with Balfour's medicals. With Balfour now settling in with the Rays, Rodney is clearly the premier name remaining among free agents with significant closing experience.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: From MLBTR: Orioles Making Progress With Fernando Rodney

PostPost #2 by osforlife » January 23rd, 2014, 4:12 pm

As long as Fernando Rodney keeps his walk rate at a somewhat respectable clip, say 4.0 BB/9, he should be a very good reliever. That being said, there is no point in making a deal just to make a deal. He will almost surely get overpaid, and it's not worth it on a reliever. The bullpen is fine. Sign Scott Baker, Chris Capuano, and Wilson Betemit and call it an off-season.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2014, 4:36 pm

osforlife wrote:Sign ... Chris Capuano

As we get closer to ST his demands should come way down. I still prefer him as a minor league signing, but I could live with 3M or less.

I would ONLY sign Rodney to a one year base of about 4M with as much as 3M in incentives for games finished. That kind of deal would give HIM an incentive to be "the Man", and the team an incentive to avoid over use like they did with Johnson.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2014, 6:32 pm

Now this just posted about Rodney:

"One source tells Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that the Orioles haven't had dialogue with Rodney's representatives in weeks. While a match is still possible -- the O's have money and no established closer -- Connolly gets the sense that starting pitching is still their priority."

I guess you should never believe what these guys report.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » January 24th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Honestly, I would feel better about Tommy Hunter. He's durable and can excel in that role.

If the team is going to do anything then get a one year deal (slightly over priced with incentives) on a decent starter. No sense going after a weak 2B or declining OFer. Want to work on something else? Then get another option at Catcher. Weiters can be traded and save the club some money.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 27th, 2014, 10:24 am

I wouldn't mind Rodney at the contract I suggested, above. IMO it's a HORRIBLE mistake to designate a closer. Fill your bullpen with pitchers that can throw strikes for more than one inning at a stretch and let the hot hand close the game.

I will always believe that over working Jim Johnson last year in technical, but not critical, save situations last year cost us any chance we had at a wild card spot.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » February 6th, 2014, 7:45 pm

Rodney has a deal pending with the Mariners.

I have to quit reading MLBTR. The speculating there and from reporters is getting ridiculous. For now on I won't believe any of the reporting fodder until I read where a physical has been passed and a signing is done.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by thezeroes » February 7th, 2014, 9:10 am

Seafordeagles wrote:Rodney has a deal pending with the Mariners.

I have to quit reading MLBTR. The speculating there and from reporters is getting ridiculous. For now on I won't believe any of the reporting fodder until I read where a physical has been passed and a signing is done.

THIS is the best way to follow MLBTR. Always remember what the name implies "RUMORS". To believe otherwise is simply a dream world.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #9 by ofahn » February 13th, 2014, 11:05 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Honestly, I would feel better about Tommy Hunter. He's durable and can excel in that role.

... if he can just learn how to keep LHs off balance. With his stuff he could be unhittable with a few refinements.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by osforlife » February 13th, 2014, 4:55 pm

I feel like management is taking an old-school approach to picking a closer. They don't want to say it officially, but Tommy Hunter is the closer. They're giving him the closer's job because he looks like he should be a closer. He fits the profile of a traditional closer. Now I'm not saying the closer should be the best reliever on the team. He comes into the game with the bases empty, and has to get three outs. You don't have to have a special mentality to close. Any good reliever can pitch in the 9th inning. Unfortunately, other teams don't get this, so they end up idiotically paying for saves. A set-up man that records no saves that pitches 75 innings with a 3.00 ERA is more valuable to a team than a closer who records 35 saves that pitches 70 innings with a 3.00 ERA. That being said, Darren O'Day is the best reliever on the team. If indeed the Orioles want to put their best reliever in the closer's role, then Darren O'Day is their man, not Tommy Hunter.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles