Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Garza, Jiminez, Santana, Arroyo, Tanaka

Re: Garza, Jiminez, Santana, Arroyo, Tanaka

PostPost #16 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2014, 1:40 pm

Garza to the Brewers........................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #17 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2014, 1:48 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Garza to the Brewers........................

Yes, for a deal I would NOT have made.

I don't have a problem with the AAV (13M), I have a problem with FOUR years guaranteed. The Brewers may, too........................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by osforlife » January 23rd, 2014, 4:21 pm

I would have gave three years, $39MM to Garza. But I would have considered a vesting option for the 4th year. Considering Burnett is still mulling over retirement, Arroyo is not very good, and Garza has no draft pick compensation attached, I find it stunning the Orioles weren't even considering him. I'm not sure why there was no interest at all.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #19 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2014, 4:31 pm

osforlife wrote:I would have gave three years, $39MM to Garza. But I would have considered a vesting option for the 4th year.

So would have and I have said so before.

Even if the Os had made that offer I have doubts that Garza would have taken it. By signing with the Brewers for what APPEARS to be the most money he has shown that winning is not his priority. The NL has enough very good teams that Milwaukee would probably have to win their division to make the post season. I'm not sure they're better than the Pirates, much less the Cards.

osforlife wrote:Considering ... Garza has no draft pick compensation attached, I find it stunning the Orioles weren't even considering him. I'm not sure why there was no interest at all.

I'm assuming your comment is based on what you have posted as a reasonable offer and not what he signed for.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by osforlife » January 23rd, 2014, 6:44 pm

ofahn wrote:So would have and I have said so before.

Even if the Os had made that offer I have doubts that Garza would have taken it. By signing with the Brewers for what APPEARS to be the most money he has shown that winning is not his priority. The NL has enough very good teams that Milwaukee would probably have to win their division to make the post season. I'm not sure they're better than the Pirates, much less the Cards.

I'm assuming your comment is based on what you have posted as a reasonable offer and not what he signed for.

Like, I hate the fact that the Orioles thought they never had a chance. I don't know why they didn't show interest at all. They just dismissed the possibility from the beginning of the off-season. It's not like he is out of the price range. Not sure why Baltimore wasn't in the sweepstakes for him, and then dropped out if his price was too high.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #21 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2014, 6:47 pm

osforlife wrote:Like, I hate the fact that the Orioles thought they never had a chance. I don't know why they didn't show interest at all. They just dismissed the possibility from the beginning of the off-season. It's not like he is out of the price range. Not sure why Baltimore wasn't in the sweepstakes for him, and then dropped out if his price was too high.

To me it's very simple why the Orioles weren't in the sweepstakes. The owner said no. We will go the cheapest route possible.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles