Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Focused On Starter, Unlikely To Sign A Closer

Orioles Focused On Starter, Unlikely To Sign A Closer

PostPost #1 by osforlife » January 13th, 2014, 6:56 pm

Though the Orioles were clearly interested in signing a closer at one point this offseason -- they did reach a two-year agreement with Grant Balfour that ultimately fell through -- the team will likely go with an in-house candidate in the ninth inning this season, reports Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun. According to Connolly, the Orioles "have seemingly walked away" from the idea of adding a high-priced ninth-inning option like Balfour or Fernando Rodney. The team is now focused on starting pitching and adding one more backup catcher to the mix, despite already having four catchers on its 40-man roster.

Connolly's piece makes Bronson Arroyo out to be the likeliest candidate from the group of him, Matt Garza, Ervin Santana and Ubaldo Jimenez. The reasons, not surprisingly, are Arroyo's cheaper price tag and the fact that he is not tied to draft pick compensation. Connolly notes that if the demands of Garza, Jimenez or Santana drop below four years following resolution of the Masahiro Tanaka situation, the O's could be a factor there as well.

Baltimore already has Johnny Monell, Steve Clevenger and Michael Ohlman on its 40-man roster, but executive vice president Dan Duquette would still like a more experienced option to consider for Matt Wieters' backup. He lists John Buck, Miguel Olivo and Michael McKenry as potential options on the free agent market, noting that McKenry is the most intriguing of the bunch.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Focused On Starter, Unlikely To Sign A Closer

PostPost #2 by Seafordeagles » January 13th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Also just came out from Buster Olney that the problem with Balfour was not his shoulder but a wrist and a knee, and that's why he failed his physical.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #3 by dan72 » January 13th, 2014, 11:21 pm

The Orioles want to add another catcher because they know Wieters is going to get traded at some point this season..... I gotta say I am deeply disapointed with the Orioles "thrift shop/ scrap heep" pick ups. Delmon Young is a strike out machine. Same with Reynolds. Cust was good a couple years ago but that guy is old now.
All I can say is that Dan Duquette must be in love with the arms we have in the minors....
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #4 by AlexConway » January 14th, 2014, 10:07 am

dan72 wrote:The Orioles want to add another catcher because they know Wieters is going to get traded at some point this season..... I gotta say I am deeply disapointed with the Orioles "thrift shop/ scrap heep" pick ups. Delmon Young is a strike out machine. Same with Reynolds. Cust was good a couple years ago but that guy is old now.
All I can say is that Dan Duquette must be in love with the arms we have in the minors....

I am not sure about your conclusion on Wieters. However, I definitely agree with your last sentence

It seems to me the Orioles are banking on Gausman, D. Bundy, Rodriguez, and Wright (and to some extent Schoop) to all contribute to the big league club and soon. Before the injury to Bundy, and Gausman's poor performance last year, I thought 2014 would be the go for it all year. Now it may have to be 2015. All of those pitchers could be in the big leagues in 2015. Hopefully, this time around they perform well, unlike the last "cavalry."
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #5 by osforlife » January 14th, 2014, 7:29 pm

Duquette is doing the right thing. Starting pitching is Baltimore's biggest need. The outfield is covered. I think second base will be weak, but that is beyond improving at this point in the off-season. I think a Kelly Johnson signing or even an Omar Infante signing would have been smart, but that's in the past. The Orioles have four major league starters (three and a half?) and no real depth behind that. I don't really consider Kevin Gausman depth, because he is currently working on his own timeline, not the team's timeline, if that makes any sense. He should be called up when he is ready, not when the team needs him. Freddy Garcia, or Jair Jurrjens, for example, get called up when the team needs them, not if they're pitching to a 2.50 ERA in AAA. Back to the point, the Orioles will never survive in the major league east with five major league starters, let alone four. Real depth needs to be acquired, and a bonified starter. Designated hitter is also very weak. Reimold? Pearce? Urrutia? Young? C'mon, no Kendry Morales, but please get somebody that can be reasonably paired with Delmon Young/Steve Pearce.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by ofahn » January 21st, 2014, 11:48 am

AlexConway wrote:It seems to me the Orioles are banking on Gausman, D. Bundy, Rodriguez, and Wright (and to some extent Schoop) to all contribute to the big league club and soon.

What scares me is that DD is being FORCED into that approach because ownership is more concerned about profitability than bringing a championship to Baltimore. The payroll numbers don't lie.

AlexConway wrote:Before the injury to Bundy, and Gausman's poor performance last year, I thought 2014 would be the go for it all year. Now it may have to be 2015

That assumes that ownership will pony up for even a one year run. It would require adding at least 30M to the current payroll and taking a chance on a trade for players like Matt Kemp. Angelos has shown ABSOLUTELY NO INCLINATION to do ANYTHING like that since MacPhail took over in 2007.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » January 21st, 2014, 11:55 am

ofahn wrote:
What scares me is that DD is being FORCED into that approach because ownership is more concerned about profitability than bringing a championship to Baltimore. The payroll numbers don't lie.

That assumes that ownership will pony up for even a one year run. It would require adding at least 30M to the current payroll and taking a chance on a trade for players like Matt Kemp. Angelos has shown ABSOLUTELY NO INCLINATION to do ANYTHING like that since MacPhail took over in 2007.

I absolutely agree with everything you posted about ownership. National beat writers are even perplexed with what is going on with the Orioles and ownership's penny pinching ways when they have such a very good group of core players. That national tv revenue money is totally being pocketed and not invested.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #8 by ofahn » January 21st, 2014, 12:31 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:That national tv revenue money is totally being pocketed and not invested.

Frankly, that money is insignificant when it's compared to what he's receiving from his stake in MASN.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by Old Sneakers » January 21st, 2014, 1:17 pm

In all honesty, I think very little of the "all in" mentality for any given year. I think teams that do it that way set themselves up to lose.

To me you keep stockpiling young, controllable and affordable talent. Trading away prospects is usually a fullish idea. Look at left field. We traded away L.J. Hoes a guy that was going to be solid in LF and have a pretty good OBP. The only knock was he wasn't overflowing with power. Now we have a plethora of players heading to spring training trying to win the LF job. None look a certainty to be reasonably good at getting on base. Foolish! Hoes, would have likely made a better fit than anything we've signed to play LF.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » January 21st, 2014, 2:26 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:In all honesty, I think very little of the "all in" mentality for any given year. I think teams that do it that way set themselves up to lose.

To me you keep stockpiling young, controllable and affordable talent. Trading away prospects is usually a fullish idea. Look at left field. We traded away L.J. Hoes a guy that was going to be solid in LF and have a pretty good OBP. The only knock was he wasn't overflowing with power. Now we have a plethora of players heading to spring training trying to win the LF job. None look a certainty to be reasonably good at getting on base. Foolish! Hoes, would have likely made a better fit than anything we've signed to play LF.

As far as the "all in" mentality the last time that happened with the Orioles was their playoff run in the 90's. I don't think anyone is thinking that way (I know the Orioles aren't), how about one or 2 SIGNIFICANT deals or signings annually. Or how about just one player that is a difference maker. Is that too much to ask for????????????

Personally I think Lough will put up much better numbers than Hoes. Even though I have not looked at the stats.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles