Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's sign Alfredo Aceves

O's sign Alfredo Aceves

PostPost #1 by AlexConway » January 15th, 2014, 6:10 pm

The Orioles signed Alfredo Aceves to a minor league contract with a spring training invite today. I don't really see a role for Aceves on the team. Hoping to catch lightning in a bottle I assume. Declining fastball velocity, declining strikeout rate. He does nothing particularly well. Last year he got a decent amount of Groundballs, but nothing spectacular. Also, he was particularly prone to the gopher ball with HR/FB of 20%. I doubt he makes the roster.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Re: O's sign Alfredo Aceves

PostPost #2 by osforlife » January 15th, 2014, 6:34 pm

I'm not opposed to the deal. Through the first four years of his career, Aceves put up a 2.93 ERA and 1.083 WHIP. He doesn't do anything particular well, like you said, but he has been successful before in the american league east and in hitter's ballparks. He's obviously not a starter, so please don't experiment with him. He has attitude problems, but I doubt that will fly under Buck.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by AlexConway » January 15th, 2014, 8:17 pm

Chris Cotillo just reported via twitter that Aceves has an opt out if he doesn't make it on the Major League roster by spring training. If he does make the roster he can make up to $1.2 million. It'll be interesting to see if he's got anything left.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » January 16th, 2014, 12:32 am

AlexConway wrote:Alfredo Aceves

I'd favor 12 weeks of him stinking it up in Baltimore and Gausman working things out in Norfolk.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by ofahn » January 21st, 2014, 11:00 am

What I like best about this signing is that it's being reported that he was given a 35K signing bonus on a minor league deal. I have never been able to understand why we don't do more of that for players we see as potential solutions. Particularly, when we don't have a spot available on our 40 Man Roster or don't want to use one for that player.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » January 22nd, 2014, 9:21 am

ofahn wrote:What I like best about this signing is that it's being reported that he was given a 35K signing bonus on a minor league deal. I have never been able to understand why we don't do more of that for players we see as potential solutions. Particularly, when we don't have a spot available on our 40 Man Roster or don't want to use one for that player.

It happens a lot more than we probably see. I know a few cases last year where the O's ponied in a little spare change to get a player. sometimes, it is just so irrelevant that it is never reported.

But yea, they could probably do it even more often. I know that the Rays and Braves have done this in the past with MiLB FA.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Baltimore Orioles