Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Who Plays LF?

Who Plays LF?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » January 14th, 2014, 2:17 pm

As of now, there are roughly 6 options for LF in 2014, with a few others that could possibly garner consideration.

Nolan Reimold
David Lough
Steve Pearce
Henry Urrutia
Delmon Young
Francisco Peguero

Then, there are a bunch of MiLB dudes that have the potential to see some time (most likely if all Hell breaks loose)

Julio Borbon
Quintin Berry
Chih-Hsien Chiang
Kyeong Kang
Dariel Alvarez

I'm probably missing someone, but that is what I could think of off the top of my head.
So how do you project the 2014 LF situation to turn out?
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Who Plays LF?

PostPost #2 by AlexConway » January 14th, 2014, 2:31 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:As of now, there are roughly 6 options for LF in 2014, with a few others that could possibly garner consideration.

Nolan Reimold
David Lough
Steve Pearce
Henry Urrutia
Delmon Young
Francisco Peguero

Then, there are a bunch of MiLB dudes that have the potential to see some time (most likely if all Hell breaks loose)

Julio Borbon
Quintin Berry
Chih-Hsien Chiang
Kyeong Kang

I'm probably missing someone, but that is what I could think of off the top of my head.
So how do you project the 2014 LF situation to turn out?

Give me David Lough. Terrific defense, showed good OBP skills in the minors, lots of speed, no significant splits. The current projection systems vary widely, but Oliver gives him 2.1 WAR which is pretty good value in that spot. I also think he could out preform those projections easily if he can tick up his OBP.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #3 by LA Detective » January 14th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I think Lough for sure at least from the left side. His platoon partner depends on who wins the DH spot.

I am really curious about Delmon Young this week. What kind of shape is he in? This former #1,#1 has hit rock bottom. Can the millions and millions he has left on the table of motivated him to get in the best shape of his life and be coachable? If he shows up in great shape I think that alone would give us great hope for a turnaround.

I am not counting on a Nolan Reimold full comeback. If this does happens it will be a good problem to have.

I like Pearce. He has the best BA to OBP slit on the team. I really think he could be a surprise player this year including batting against RHP for some time if our depth wears down. He is one of the few where his great spring last year does say some about his abilities.

I like Berry in a split. He does get on base against RHP and can run, which we do need. I think any injuries to AJ, NM or Lough and he is starting from the left side.

Peguero has talent and could surprise. Urrutia needs more time and I would like his OBP get to a point where its 80+ his BA before he moves up.

I am hoping Young steps forward and claims the full time DH leaving Lough and Pierce in LF. Peguero and Berry fighting for the extra OF spot. Berry with the edge cuz of pinch running.

Markakis
Machado
Davis
Jones
Young
Wieters
Pearce/Young
Weeks/Ryan F
Hardy (I like him from the right side here and in front of Nick.)
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » January 14th, 2014, 2:50 pm

an error in my line-up.

Pearce/Lough not young.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » January 14th, 2014, 5:03 pm

I see Nolan Reimold as a DH and do not want him in LF. If he produces, fine. If not release him. If this discussion were taking place a year ago, I would argue Quintin Berry. Fortunately I won't be arguing this year.

David Lough makes a strong argument for him self if you look at his AAA stats three of the past four years. Delmon Young hasn't had a good year or seen as having upside in some time. He's likely well motivated to try and find a home in Baltimore. I suspect mixed results with Young. I like Lough. Henry Urritia belongs in AAA for at least most of 2014.

Lastly I suspect this will be a question for next year as well. There is young talent here in Baltimore. Especially if your like me and favor high OBP type players over strike out machines with power. The problem is that to date, no one has said "I am the starting LFer and that is how it is!"
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #6 by osforlife » January 14th, 2014, 8:14 pm

Please please please please don't even consider Delmon Young playing left field, not even against LHP. Any value Young provides at all offensively would be negated by the fact that he has a glove on his hand. He's a DH against LHP. That's it. Nolan Reimold and Henry Urrutia are probably DH's at this point too. David Lough is significantly better than anybody on that list. He hits both RHP & LHP, plays terrific defense, and has shown the ability to hit for power and steal bases in the minors. Barring an injury, he should start 150 games in left field. Francisco Peguero intrigues me, but he should start the season in the minors. By the way, according to MLB, he's Baltimore's 9th best prospect. The group on the bottom will not wear an Orioles uniform in 2014.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #7 by luke1010 » January 15th, 2014, 12:45 am

I think it'll definitely be David Lough. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets a very similar amount of plate appearances that Nate McLouth did. I could see Lough getting 550-600 PA like Nate did with other guys taking over when a tough lefty is on the mound. I like Lough, but we'll see if the O's are betting too big on him. Sure seems like he'll be the best position player they'll add this winter. He can defend the hell out of left field and he can actually throw, so that'll be nice. Hope that the on-base and baserunning ability that Lough showed in the minors manifests itself in the big leagues soon. He only walked 10 times last year. That's an Adam Jones-esque rate, and very few hitters can get away with that approach.

Peguero is an interesting pickup, but he's out of options. He either makes the team as an extra outfielder or he'll be subjected to waivers. I suppose he could sneak through. He hit .316/.354/.408 in 288 PA last year in the PCL, which is a crazy hitters league. He hasn't done a whole lot statistically since he hit .324/.387/.441 in High-A in the Cal League, another big hitters league. Looks like a free swinger throughout his minor league career. Whether they can fit him onto the 25-man likely depends on how he looks in the spring and how they construct their roster. If they go with a DH platoon with two guys who don't offer much defensively -- say, Wilson Betemit and Delmon Young -- you're probably not going to be able to carry five outfielders, which would diminish the chances of keeping Peguero around.

I'd like Urrutia to start in Norfolk and play every day. He had a MLB-style offseason for the first time in his playing career and I'd like to see him play every day to keep him in a routine. Would hate to see him make the team and play twice a week when he's got options. He'll get his shot soon enough. As those above me said, Delmon shouldn't even bring a glove to spring training. I like Pearce and would prefer him to make the team over Delmon. He has a very similar track record vs. LHP (.303/.341/.471 for Delmon; .266/.351/.455 for Pearce). And he can at least stand in left or at first or third. Delmon can't even stand at positions anymore. Positional flexibility helps when building a bench. I see Reimold starting the year on the DL because there will be a roster crunch and they'll want to be 110 percent sure he's good to go before playing him.
luke1010
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » January 15th, 2014, 2:26 am

Regarding Francisco Peguero: I really wouldn't read much into his current ranking on MLB's Orioles prospect rankings. Either he's a replacement player or a finished product. I understand he's a history of injury but he's had enough minor league at bats to know exactly what he is. Guess what? We still really do not know what that is. I think he's a long shot to make the team. I honestly do not get that ranking either. If his bat was that good he would have drawn more walks and it hasn't happened.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by luke1010 » January 18th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Regarding Francisco Peguero: I really wouldn't read much into his current ranking on MLB's Orioles prospect rankings. Either he's a replacement player or a finished product. I understand he's a history of injury but he's had enough minor league at bats to know exactly what he is. Guess what? We still really do not know what that is. I think he's a long shot to make the team. I honestly do not get that ranking either. If his bat was that good he would have drawn more walks and it hasn't happened.

Yeah, the Peguero signing would have made more sense if he had options, although if he did have an option, I assume there would have been more competition to sign him. I assume there isn't a lot of teams looking for injury-riddled minor leaguers without options. Peguero may be one of the guys on the 40-man in which spring training means a lot. The coaching staff will get their first look at him then. If they think he has the natural skills to hit and can develop at the big league level with limited at-bats, he's got a good shot to make the team. He could be treated like a rule five pick, essentially.
luke1010
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #10 by ofahn » January 21st, 2014, 10:40 am

Old Sneakers wrote:Henry Urritia belongs in AAA for at least most of 2014.

I'm not so sure about that. The team got him just enough ABs at the end of last year that he could see the flaws in his game. He went to the AFL and worked hard on fixing some of those flaws and then used the two months between the end of that season and now to add the muscle he was missing. IMO he's showing the accelerated development you absolutely have to see from someone his age.

From what I understand the bat speed is there, but he has a few flaws in his swing that causes him to be late on the FB. IF he can fix that he has developed the strength to be an above average ML hitter. His ability to improve his defense will determine if he's going to be just a DH/platoon player.

I'm not predicting it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a monster ST and force his way onto the team. That being said, I don't want him in Baltimore unless he's getting at least 15 PAs a week. Otherwise, he SHOULD be in Norfolk.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #11 by ofahn » January 21st, 2014, 10:52 am

osforlife wrote:David Lough is significantly better than anybody on that list. He hits both RHP & LHP, plays terrific defense, and has shown the ability to hit for power and steal bases in the minors.

I've posted before that this kid should ABSOLUTELY wear out a few bats practicing his bunting this spring. With his speed he could easily add .20 or more to BA, which would mean about .30 to his OBA. It would also force the corner IFs to play in on him which would open up the lines for more doubles.

If speed is used properly it CAN become a major factor at the plate.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » January 22nd, 2014, 4:35 am

My thinking with Urritia being sent to Norfolk is to get him playing time in the field as well as ABs everyday. This is likely Nick Markakis' last year in Baltimore as his contract next year will be enormous. That said, we are looking for a LFer for 2014 and a RFer for 2015. I've no idea if Urritia has the arm for RF but it would be nice to see some in house option for next year that is ready to go and not some nutty projection "wing and a prayer" type signing.

I suspect Lough is the principle LFer in 2014. Take your pick who the 4th guy is when spring training ends. Reimold if he can stay healthy gets half the ABs as a DH. If he produces fine. If not, time to move on. I am still surprised he was brought back.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » January 22nd, 2014, 9:14 am

I concur that Urrutia is/should be sent to Norfolk at least to start the year. I haven't seen him play since the AFL, so I would imagine his defense has improved. But how much? I don't know and will not until ST. I just do not view him as a DH candidate, simply because there are too many other players at that position and he needs to either play LF or not IMO. Of course, if he earns a roster spot, you can't deny him of it.

Urrutia has a solid enough arm for RF, I would rate it a solid-average.

David Lough is definitely going to receive a ton of playing time this year. If he saw 500+ AB, I would not be surprised at all. Essentially, he is McLouth's replacement.

Reimold to me is a wildcard. I truly still think there is enough asset there to make the decision of his return applicable. However, the leash is tethered and on the verge of breaking. He will need to force his way on the club at this point, and I think he can do it if healthy. We've heard that a few times, right?
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Return to Baltimore Orioles