Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Dealing with the injury front (Hardy, Matusz, Duke)

Dealing with the injury front (Hardy, Matusz, Duke)

PostPost #1 by 2131andBeyond » May 2nd, 2011, 1:08 pm

We've got 3 names to deal with in the next month or so: J.J. Hardy, Brian Matusz, and Justin Duchscherer.

Hardy, the closest to returning (about two weeks) will take the starting SS role back from Robert Andino, who is excelling at the spot currently. The roster move will most likely be a bullpen arm (Rupe or Rapada seem most likely).

Matusz, about three weeks away or so (has been throwing, but needs a few rehab starts), will take a rotation spot no doubt. Most likely replace Tillman or Bergesen, depending on their respective performances.

Duchscherer, who has thrown a live BP, has time to come back. He is on the 60 Day DL, so has to wait until June anyways, so can gain strength at his own pace. When he's ready then, it will be interesting to see if he gets in the rotation or the bullpen to begin with.

What do you think the Orioles should do with each of those three players and the respective roster moves that will follow?
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Dealing with the injury front (Hardy, Matusz, Duke)

PostPost #2 by A_K » May 2nd, 2011, 5:47 pm

Apparently Mark Viviano speculated recently that Matusz's maturity and off-field issues are keeping him from being a great pitcher, and assumedly have something to do with his not being able to pitch right now.

Am I alone in saying this is the first I have ever heard of Matuz's maturity or off-field behavior questioned? This seems to come from absolutely nowhere.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #3 by wiestlingjr » May 2nd, 2011, 7:26 pm

I am up in the air with the Hardy situation. I'm glad he is coming back, because I think he is an outstanding shortstop, and I believe he played a huge role in our early win streaks.

On the other hand Andino has been playing outstanding as of late. I think it's hard to bench someone batting over .300 and playing super D. Either way it's a win win situation for the Orioles, but I think Andino has clearly earned his spot.
wiestlingjr
DSL Orioles

PostPost #4 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 2nd, 2011, 7:46 pm

A_K wrote:Apparently Mark Viviano speculated recently that Matusz's maturity and off-field issues are keeping him from being a great pitcher, and assumedly have something to do with his not being able to pitch right now.

Am I alone in saying this is the first I have ever heard of Matuz's maturity or off-field behavior questioned? This seems to come from absolutely nowhere.

Do you have a link to him saying this?

I'm with you: I've never heard anything but positive things about Matusz's maturity or mindset.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

PostPost #5 by Tenth Inning » May 2nd, 2011, 8:31 pm

A_K wrote:Apparently Mark Viviano speculated recently that Matusz's maturity and off-field issues are keeping him from being a great pitcher, and assumedly have something to do with his not being able to pitch right now.

Link? This would be the first I've ever heard of something like this, and, from every thing I know of Matusz from tracking him for five years or so, I would be shocked to hear of a serious maturity problem.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

PostPost #6 by Don » May 3rd, 2011, 8:05 am

There are no drug, alcohol, or anything illegal to speak of with concerns of Brian Matusz. The maturity angle concerns his conflicts with the organization about an issue that I do not want to publicly discuss. Rest assured, he is a high character guy.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #7 by oriolesmagic28 » May 3rd, 2011, 8:34 pm

ive never heard anything. As far as I know, Matusz is a model citizen. Izzy is no longer needed, send him down or release him.
oriolesmagic28
DSL Orioles

PostPost #8 by 2131andBeyond » May 4th, 2011, 10:38 pm

Never heard of any of this. Very interesting. Wonder if any of it will ever be revealed through the light.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #9 by 2131andBeyond » May 4th, 2011, 10:41 pm

As good as Andino has been, it's Hardy's spot. Andino back to the bench. Dino will regress to even a .260-.280 hitter, and I still believe Hardy is better defensively. Dino can look flashy, but Hardy brings a nice consistency to the spot. As good as Dino has looked, he has made some flops, including twice now small mess ups that he should have had that WEREN'T counted as errors.

As for Izturis: he's on a major league deal. He's either on the 25-man roster or has to clear waivers. He MIGHT clear waivers, but at this point, he wouldn't accept a minor league job I would assume.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

PostPost #10 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 8th, 2011, 7:30 pm

2131andBeyond wrote:As good as Andino has been, it's Hardy's spot. Andino back to the bench. Dino will regress to even a .260-.280 hitter, and I still believe Hardy is better defensively. Dino can look flashy, but Hardy brings a nice consistency to the spot. As good as Dino has looked, he has made some flops, including twice now small mess ups that he should have had that WEREN'T counted as errors.

I am very impressed with the number of walks Andino is taking this season. He's put up .390 OBP while walking 14.1% of the time. Obviously he's not going to maintain that .390 OBP, but even if he settles into the .340 range that makes him a nice bench piece and a very capable starter when necessary.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by OsFaninGeorgia » May 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm

So does anyone know where the link is to the Viviano comments about Matusz?
OsFaninGeorgia
DSL Orioles

PostPost #12 by Jordan Tuwiner » May 11th, 2011, 7:56 pm

OsFaninGeorgia wrote:So does anyone know where the link is to the Viviano comments about Matusz?

I think he said it on air.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by Don » May 11th, 2011, 9:30 pm

I still do not know why this came out; it is nothing based on his out of baseball life. He had a slight baseball related difference from my understanding.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #14 by 2131andBeyond » May 17th, 2011, 6:12 pm

To update on this:

We all see that Hardy has come back, and STRONG.

Matusz had his first rehab start in Frederick last night, allowing 1 run in 4 IP at a 60 pitch count. He will need 1 or 2 more starts before being called up.

Duke... Well, Duchscherer will pitch, hopefully, sometime in June/July.

In other injury news, now DLee and Izturis are going to be sent to the DL (speculatively) with different injuries (Lee has a left oblique strain). Brandon Snyder and Troy Patton have joined the team for the time being.
2131andBeyond
DSL Orioles

Return to Baltimore Orioles