Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Camden Depot: O's Must Extend Wieters and Davis

Re: Camden Depot: O's Must Extend Wieters and Davis

PostPost #16 by ofahn » December 31st, 2013, 12:34 pm

dan72 wrote:I would place a higher priority on extending Manny versus extending Davis and Wieters.

In fact, the ONLY way we might be able to resign Machado is if we start the rebuilding process now.

If I were him I would not sign an extension until I saw which direction the team is heading. Right now it seems to be strip mining the system to maximize ticket sales with no thought for what that means to the 2016 team. WHY would ANY player be willing to give a home town discount for THAT?

If we trade Davis, Wieters, and Hardy NOW for a PILE of ML ready players and prospects and Jones and Tillman in JULY for another pile of prospects we might have a REAL contender by 2016 and give Manny a reason to want to stay.

Heck, by clearing 25M or more from the payroll the team could afford to trade for Matt Kemp at his full salary without giving up much talent. If he gets his game back they have an new franchise player or they can trade him for MORE prospects.

We need a plan. Either we spend what we need to win NOW or we need to start the rebuilding process NOW to win within a few years.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #17 by ofahn » December 31st, 2013, 12:43 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Pittsburgh could certain use Davis and has a healthy farm system.

Pittsburgh just seems to make the most sense. They're in a position to win now and they REALLY need a 1B like Davis.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #18 by ofahn » December 31st, 2013, 12:50 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:No chance would Pitt part with Taillon.

IF the Pirates thought he would make the difference to get to the WS I'll bet they WOULD seriously consider trading him. The ultimate value of any player is to get you a championship. If Taillon can do that by being traded for Davis then he's NOT untouchable.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles