Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Looking At Some Potentially Available Left Handed Hitters

Re: Looking At Some Potentially Available Left Handed Hitters

PostPost #16 by osforlife » December 28th, 2013, 9:22 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
Billy Rowell was a former first round pick as well.

His ops and obp have been going down at a solid rate. His batting average in 2012 was real close to the Mendoza line. He strikes out a lot. He's a left handed hitting 1st baseman. Last time I looked we had the best 1st baseman in baseball in 2013, who also bats left handed.

If you want this guy to platoon at DH then he is not worth what they are asking..

Yes, Chris Davis is very good at what he does. However, he cannot play two positions at once. Somebody must hit in the designated hitter role against right handed pitchers. Management says Henry Urrutia is not their guy yet, and this is coming from an organization that loves internal guys, as you have made very clear in your last fifty comments or so. Unless DD wants to give the DH role to Nolan Reimold, which is doubtful and very unwise, he is going to have to acquire somebody. Ike Davis is a very good fit as a left handed complement to pair with Steve Pearce. Meanwhile, Chris Davis is still at first. Acquiring Ike Davis wouldn't affect Chris Davis at all. You're right, Ike Davis is not worth what they are asking for. The Orioles would not give away Eduardo Rodriguez for him. But, if that asking price lowers, I can't see why the Orioles wouldn't be interested. This is a guy who has shown he can hit for power, take a walk, and hit for average. And he's only 26. Also, you're looking at his career batting line when you say his OPS/OBP are declining steadily. The Orioles are just looking for him to hit RHP, which he does very well. In 2012, Ike Davis hit .253/.345/.523. Even in 2013, when the power disappeared, he maintained a strong OBP at .356. Yes, Baltimore would be counting on him to bounce back from a less than desirable 2013, but talented players like Ike have a knack for bouncing back.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #17 by Seafordeagles » December 28th, 2013, 11:53 am

osforlife wrote:If you want this guy to platoon at DH then he is not worth what they are asking..
osforlife wrote:Yes, Chris Davis is very good at what he does. However, he cannot play two positions at once. Somebody must hit in the designated hitter role against right handed pitchers. Management says Henry Urrutia is not their guy yet, and this is coming from an organization that loves internal guys, as you have made very clear in your last fifty comments or so. Unless DD wants to give the DH role to Nolan Reimold, which is doubtful and very unwise, he is going to have to acquire somebody. Ike Davis is a very good fit as a left handed complement to pair with Steve Pearce. Meanwhile, Chris Davis is still at first. Acquiring Ike Davis wouldn't affect Chris Davis at all. You're right, Ike Davis is not worth what they are asking for. The Orioles would not give away Eduardo Rodriguez for him. But, if that asking price lowers, I can't see why the Orioles wouldn't be interested. This is a guy who has shown he can hit for power, take a walk, and hit for average. And he's only 26. Also, you're looking at his career batting line when you say his OPS/OBP are declining steadily. The Orioles are just looking for him to hit RHP, which he does very well. In 2012, Ike Davis hit .253/.345/.523. Even in 2013, when the power disappeared, he maintained a strong OBP at .356. Yes, Baltimore would be counting on him to bounce back from a less than desirable 2013, but talented players like Ike have a knack for bouncing back.

I'll reiterate my last sentence.

"If you want this guy to platoon at DH then he is not worth what they are asking"..

He would be slated to be a part time DH if the Orioles acquire him. He would be the DH when the Orioles are facing a right handed pitcher. He will not be the DH when the Orioles face a lefty. DO NOT give up a lot for a part time player who only plays one position and it doesn't matter what he has done in the past. The last time I looked he was a "part time" player for the Mets and they demoted last season.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #18 by osforlife » December 28th, 2013, 12:36 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I'll reiterate my last sentence.

"If you want this guy to platoon at DH then he is not worth what they are asking"..

He would be slated to be a part time DH if the Orioles acquire him. He would be the DH when the Orioles are facing a right handed pitcher. He will not be the DH when the Orioles face a lefty. DO NOT give up a lot for a part time player who only plays one position and it doesn't matter what he has done in the past. The last time I looked he was a "part time" player for the Mets and they demoted last season.

Ike Davis played as a full-time player last year. The full-time player got demoted. I'm suggesting Ike Davis serve as a part time player. If he only hit against RHP, he would not have been demoted, and that was his worst year too. I agree, Baltimore should not give up a lot for Davis. He is not worth Eduardo Rodriguez. However, you also said you wouldn't give up Matusz for this part time player. Isn't Matusz a part time player? A quality DH against RHP is more valuable than quality LOOGY. I'm sorry if you think that statement should be switched around.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » December 28th, 2013, 12:48 pm

osforlife wrote:
Ike Davis played as a full-time player last year. The full-time player got demoted. I'm suggesting Ike Davis serve as a part time player. If he only hit against RHP, he would not have been demoted, and that was his worst year too. I agree, Baltimore should not give up a lot for Davis. He is not worth Eduardo Rodriguez. However, you also said you wouldn't give up Matusz for this part time player. Isn't Matusz a part time player? A quality DH against RHP is more valuable than quality LOOGY. I'm sorry if you think that statement should be switched around.

I would not trade Matusz for him. My opinion only. I still vision Matusz as a quality starter, I may be wrong. Just a gut feeling I have.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #20 by osforlife » December 28th, 2013, 2:42 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I would not trade Matusz for him. My opinion only. I still vision Matusz as a quality starter, I may be wrong. Just a gut feeling I have.

Let's just agree to disagree then.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #21 by ofahn » December 29th, 2013, 2:54 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:

He would have to make SUBSTANTIAL adjustments to get through a line up at least three times.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles