Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Minor Leagues: Best Tools

Orioles Minor Leagues: Best Tools

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 30th, 2011, 12:04 am

http://orioles-nation.com/?p=9764

Best Hitter for Average - Manny Machado
Best Power Hitter - Brandon Waring
Best Strike-Zone Discipline - Manny Machado
Fastest Baserunner - Xavier Avery
Best Athlete - Xavier Avery
Best Fastball - Clayton Schrader
Best Curveball - Ryan Berry
Best Slider - Oliver Drake
Best Changeup - Matt Bywater
Best Control - Jesse Beal
Best Defensive Catcher - Justin Dalles
Best Defensive Infielder - Manny Machado
Best Infield Arm - Mychal Givens
Best Defensive Outfielder - Matt Angle
Best Outfield Arm - Brenden Webb

There were close seconds for a few of them:

Best Strike-Zone Discipline - Went with Machado, but Trent Mummey is right behind him. L.J. Hoes, too.
Best Defensive Catcher - Brandon Ward is a very close second -- calls a good game and has an absolute cannon.
Best Defensive Outfielder - Brenden Webb comes in right behind Angle.
Best Outfield Arm - Brian Conley a close second.

There could a few different guys in the following spots:

Best Power Hitter - Joe Mahoney? Machado?
Best Athlete - Could go Kyle Hudson or Glynn Davis.
Best Fastball - Would probably be Luis Lebron if he was healthy.

Feel free to throw out your own!
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Orioles Minor Leagues: Best Tools

PostPost #2 by Shorebirdfan » April 30th, 2011, 12:58 am

I know he is not a prospect, so maybe you passed on him. But when it comes to minors defensive catcher, no one in the organization is close to Bernardo. Dallas has only thrown out 29% of runners in his 2 seasons, while Bernardo's number is 39% and that is with a lot more attempts against him. Plus I cannot tell you how many times I've seen Luis throw behind a runner at first who lingers too far off the base. I think Dalles handles a staff better, and that counts for something. BTW Ohlman has thrown out 1 of 18 runners this season. Time to find that guy a new position.

Also, you gave Conley the "Close second" in best OF arm. I haven't seen Webb do a lot of throwing from the OF this season (he does have 3 OF assists), but I did see Conley often last season when he had 11 OF assists. I actually think that is deceiving as by mid season, no one was running on him. He simply has a cannon.

I got one for you. Best contact hitter? I'll give you my top 2. Manny - Everything he hits, he hits hard (witnesss the HR shot that cleared the scoreboard a couple nights ago) and Tyler Townsend. I've been very impressed with his swing and contact. Everyhting is a line drive.

One comment on best fastball. Is that fastest fastball? Clay may have that, but best? 12 BB in 11 IP so far, and a WHIP of 2.0, I'm still waiting to see some control and movement from him and his fastball.

I like things like this that are open to debate.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

Re: Orioles Minor Leagues: Best Tools

PostPost #3 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 30th, 2011, 11:08 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:I know he is not a prospect, so maybe you passed on him. But when it comes to minors defensive catcher, no one in the organization is close to Bernardo. Dallas has only thrown out 29% of runners in his 2 seasons, while Bernardo's number is 39% and that is with a lot more attempts against him. Plus I cannot tell you how many times I've seen Luis throw behind a runner at first who lingers too far off the base. I think Dalles handles a staff better, and that counts for something. BTW Ohlman has thrown out 1 of 18 runners this season. Time to find that guy a new position.

I have heard good things about Bernardo and when I've seen him in person he's lived up to the defensive hype. However, pitchers constantly tell me their stuff plays up and are just a completely different pitcher when Dalles is behind the plate calling the game. That's what gives him the slight advantage over Bernardo for me. I think you'll see Dalles' CS rate improve a bit, too.

Shorebirdfan wrote:Also, you gave Conley the "Close second" in best OF arm. I haven't seen Webb do a lot of throwing from the OF this season (he does have 3 OF assists), but I did see Conley often last season when he had 11 OF assists. I actually think that is deceiving as by mid season, no one was running on him. He simply has a cannon.

No doubt both have plus arms. I'd feel fine giving Conley the spot and giving Webb the title of close second. Too close to call. Thanks for the first hand observation!

Shorebirdfan wrote:I got one for you. Best contact hitter? I'll give you my top 2. Manny - Everything he hits, he hits hard (witnesss the HR shot that cleared the scoreboard a couple nights ago) and Tyler Townsend. I've been very impressed with his swing and contact. Everyhting is a line drive.

Definitely agree here. I like Townsend's swing and he should start to pick up some walks this season, just as he did last year. Pair that combination together and I think he could start to really put himself in the future 1B discussion.

Shorebirdfan wrote:One comment on best fastball. Is that fastest fastball? Clay may have that, but best? 12 BB in 11 IP so far, and a WHIP of 2.0, I'm still waiting to see some control and movement from him and his fastball.

I thought about Luis Lebron, but he has some command issues too, and I want to see how he comes back from the TJ Surgery.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Minor Leagues