Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Come To An Agreement With Grant Balfour

Orioles Come To An Agreement With Grant Balfour

PostPost #1 by ofahn » December 17th, 2013, 2:28 pm

By Zach Links [December 17, 2013 at 1:24pm CST]

1:24pm: Balfour gets $7MM per year plus the $500K deferred, raising the total value to $15MM over two years, tweets Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com.

1:02pm: The Orioles have agreed to a two-year, $14MM deal with Grant Balfour, according to Roch Kubatko of MASNsports.com (via Twitter). The deal will include $500K deferred each year. Balfour

Recent reports indicated that three teams had two-year offers on the table to Balfour, with the Orioles being the most aggressive team and the favorite to land him. Balfour reportedly wanted to pitch for the O's, but was holding out for a three-year deal. There was talk of adding a vesting option to the deal as a compromise, but it appears that a two-year pact was enough to get the job done. ...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/o ... lfour.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Orioles Come To An Agreement With Grant Balfour

PostPost #2 by ofahn » December 17th, 2013, 2:33 pm

So...the Orioles have effectively traded Jim Johnson to the As for TWO years of Grant Balfour, Jemille Weeks, and the C pseudo prospect.

I would have preferred to trade Johnson last summer for a real return, but I can live with this.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by AlexConway » December 17th, 2013, 8:49 pm

ofahn wrote:So...the Orioles have effectively traded Jim Johnson to the As for TWO years of Grant Balfour, Jemille Weeks, and the C pseudo prospect.

I would have preferred to trade Johnson last summer for a real return, but I can live with this.

This is exactly my sentiment. I get why they didn't trade Johnson last year, but doing so would have netted higher value.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » December 18th, 2013, 4:42 am

ofahn wrote:So...the Orioles have effectively traded Jim Johnson to the As for TWO years of Grant Balfour, Jemille Weeks, and the C pseudo prospect.

Considering that I thought of the 2012 Orioles as a .500 team I am inclined to agree. Pretty much the same regarding JJ Hardy a year ago. Neither happened though.

This team is going to have to part with talent a year or two prior to a player reaching free agency from time to time. The tricky part is identifying those that they can part with and what constitutes a decent return in prospects. It's the only way to get better from within. Unless the team drafts better than any team in the league. Very unlikely.

You have to love Balfour's WHIP the past four years. This looks like a good move. Hopefully he isn't over exposed as Jim Johnson was.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by LA Detective » December 19th, 2013, 3:20 pm

Add Webb to that statement due to the "allocation of funds."
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » December 20th, 2013, 9:54 am

Now this is a cliffhanger....

Orioles' deal with Balfour in serious jeopardy

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2013/12/orioles-deal-with-balfour-in-serious-jeopardy.html
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » December 20th, 2013, 1:06 pm

Just been reported that the orioles are turning their attention to Rodney. He wants Jim Johnson type money. That will never fly.....
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by dan72 » December 20th, 2013, 5:27 pm

When Balfour goes on to pitch well this season, the Orioles will look foolish and the hole deal will be viewed as the Orioles not spending money. I wasn't a fan of the deal to begin with. I'm even less thrilled about fernando rodney.....
Any way you chalk it up the Orioles still need a closer. A starter. A dh and a lf...... so what are we waiting for?
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » December 20th, 2013, 6:17 pm

dan72 wrote:When Balfour goes on to pitch well this season, the Orioles will look foolish and the hole deal will be viewed as the Orioles not spending money. I wasn't a fan of the deal to begin with. I'm even less thrilled about fernando rodney.....
Any way you chalk it up the Orioles still need a closer. A starter. A dh and a lf...... so what are we waiting for?

They looked foolish when they also rejected Aaron Sele who proceeded to put up major innings. This is the way Angelos works. He could care less about whose toes he steps on. I guess we can thank Albert Belle for the way Angelos conducts business.

To answer your question "so what are we waiting for"

All transactions other than minor league or minimum major league signings have to run through Angelos. Now you can see what the holds up are.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by osforlife » December 20th, 2013, 10:13 pm

I didn't think the Balfour deal wasn't that bad. It's still too much for simply a reliever, but considering BOONE LOGAN got $16MM and Grant Balfour got $15MM is something positive. So, it's not a terrible contract IMO, but I thought the point of the Jim Johnson trade was for the allocation of resources. How is DD relocating his financial value by putting eight figure right back into the closer role? Sign a starter with the $10MM Baltimore signed, not the same thing they already had. Whatever the reason for the Balfour dropout, hopefully they aren't able to sign a closer. Darren O'Day is better than anybody on the market and anybody on the team.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by LA Detective » December 20th, 2013, 10:21 pm

Two things to consider:

1. The O's obviously wanted Balfour all along due to some of the moves this off season. They wanted and needed him. They wouldn't of backed out unless the risk was substantial.

2. I went to Dinner Sunday with a long time friend and high ranking official in another organization and when discussing the JJ/Balfour swap and the players, money and added years, his first words were," Doesn't make sense. Billy Beane must know something." The next conversation was the upcoming physical.

It didn't make sense. Why were the A's not trying to resign him? Their payroll is lower than ours.

I believe the O's were right for a lot of reasons. Now Balfour could go on to have two good years but I do believe there is something to this.

Yes Sele went on to pitch ok for a couple of years in a pitchers park for a great team but for the most part his ERA was close to 5 the rest of his career. He pitched with the injury but not really that well.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #12 by Seafordeagles » January 23rd, 2014, 1:41 pm

Balfour to the Rays. He lost 3MM in the deal. He will really have a chip on his shoulder when facing the Orioles.....
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #13 by ofahn » January 23rd, 2014, 1:46 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:Balfour to the Rays. He lost 3MM in the deal. He will really have a chip on his shoulder when facing the Orioles.....

Let's revisit this decision in July or so of 2015 to see whether the FO made the right choice.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by osforlife » May 31st, 2014, 12:08 pm

So far, it seems that the Orioles dodged a bullet. Balfour has a 5.49 ERA, 1.576 WHIP, 5.75 FIP, and a 8.2 BB/9. Maybe he really is hurt.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #15 by docjj » June 2nd, 2014, 7:31 pm

not really....we still have Tommy Hunter. He's worse....
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles