Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ranking the 2011 Draft prospects

Re: Ranking the 2011 Draft prospects

PostPost #91 by Don » April 25th, 2011, 6:49 pm

What kind of secondary stuff does he have?

He is a slider, change up, fastball guy. He has a bit more in the pants in terms of fastball and command, but not so much on secondary as Hultzen. The difference is this kid has a bit more to learn with push and drive. I think he can gain a tick or two on the 94 and be a 96 guy with ease.

I will be delivering a report later this week.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #92 by Shorebirdfan » April 25th, 2011, 7:03 pm

Jordan wrote:Agree re: most upside. And at this point it looks like that guy is Dylan Bundy, who I'd like at #4.

I don't know enough about Jed Bradley to have an opinion on him, but Don has me (and others covered), as he'll have a scouting report up sometime next week.

I'm with you on Bundy. Although the top college arms are a group of quicker impact pitchers than Bundy is, there is something in his stuff I don't want to pass on. I've seen Bobby pitch several times and think he has the potential to make it, and Dylan seems to blow him away on potential.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #93 by Rising O's » April 26th, 2011, 10:04 am

It'll be great when you can put together that updated report on Jed Bradley. His numbers do not look like TOR guy but stats can deceive. Best thing about his numbers is zero home runs given up this year compared to six for Cole.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #94 by BuckMagic » April 27th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:
Jordan wrote:Agree re: most upside. And at this point it looks like that guy is Dylan Bundy, who I'd like at #4.

I don't know enough about Jed Bradley to have an opinion on him, but Don has me (and others covered), as he'll have a scouting report up sometime next week.

I'm with you on Bundy. Although the top college arms are a group of quicker impact pitchers than Bundy is, there is something in his stuff I don't want to pass on. I've seen Bobby pitch several times and think he has the potential to make it, and Dylan seems to blow him away on potential.

Seems like the potential is just limitless with Bundy. I have seen his CH grades highly elsewhere also.
BuckMagic
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #95 by Don » April 28th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Matt Purke is dealing with a bursitis in his shoulder. Knowing he is a pitcher, I fully expect him to be suffering from some form of Subacromial bursitis, which could be greatly reduced with without going under the knife. He is expected to start a throwing program sometime next week and I bet he has been doing some form of therapy since the diagnosis.

I still do not think he is a logical choice and I would not have him on my big board for medical concerns.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #96 by Rising O's » April 29th, 2011, 10:49 pm

Starling came back with a vengeance. There is a story on him at ESPN. O's better not take safe over star potential.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #97 by Don » May 9th, 2011, 2:26 pm

It really comes down to fiscal dollars between Bubba and Dylan in my book. I like both guys and it depends if you want future star pitcher or future star centerfielder. History is on the pitching side as position and positionally the centerfield spot has some intriguing features in the lower ranks.

My quick top 5 are (no order):

Rendon, Cole, Starling, Bundy, Bradley (who I still like best out of all the left handers b/c of the ceiling)

Next 5 (no order):

Bradley (Archie), Hultzen, Jungmann, Gray, Lindor

Guys that are making great strides:

Bauer, Meyer, Springer (finally), and Josh Bell (wish he were falling to the Orioles in the second round - I really like him)
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #98 by A_K » May 10th, 2011, 11:55 am

I wouldn't be too upset if the O's take safety over star power. There are good arguments to be made for both approaches, and plenty of examples of success from both that one can point to as evidence.
A_K
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #99 by Tenth Inning » May 10th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Don wrote:It really comes down to fiscal dollars between Bubba and Dylan in my book. I like both guys and it depends if you want future star pitcher or future star centerfielder. History is on the pitching side as position and positionally the centerfield spot has some intriguing features in the lower ranks.

My quick top 5 are (no order):

Rendon, Cole, Starling, Bundy, Bradley (who I still like best out of all the left handers b/c of the ceiling)

Next 5 (no order):

Bradley (Archie), Hultzen, Jungmann, Gray, Lindor

Guys that are making great strides:

Bauer, Meyer, Springer (finally), and Josh Bell (wish he were falling to the Orioles in the second round - I really like him)

Solid list, Don. I can make at least a top 8 list out of your top 10, which is very close considering we are scoping every draft-eligible amateur in the nation.

I'll provide my current list to forward the discussion. It's too early for hard slots, so I'll rank them in Tiers, with the order being my current tentative preference:

Tier A

Cole
Rendon

Tier B

Starling
Gray
J. Bradley
Hultzen
Jungmann
Bundy
D. Norris

Tier C

Lindor
Swihart
Archie Bradley
Susac (will fall due to injury)
Bauer
Tyler Anderson

Those are my current top 15, though there are a few prep darkhorses who could sneak in. Any of the names in any given Tier could easily shuffle by draft day.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #100 by Don » May 10th, 2011, 12:53 pm

It is really in the eye of beholder. 5-10 years from now I would not be completely shocked if Alex Meyer was the best pick or the biggest risk from this season's draft and I can say that on a number of players because this draft is that DEEP.

It really helps that the Orioles might not go in thier normal direction on highly athletic toolsy guys with that second pick. Stilson, Tyler Anderson, Andrew Chafin are the type of pitchers that could be on the board. Hitters, such as Matt Skole, Preston Tucker, Kyle Gaedele, C.J. Cron, Cody Asche, could be around to buck that trend. This draft being rich at the top gives team the ability to grab late first and supp first graded players in the early second round.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #101 by Don » May 10th, 2011, 12:56 pm

Dan you need to put Meyer in that conversation of top 10-15 players. I watched his outing against Vanderbilt. If he showed that type of command and control on a constent basis on his fastball and slider, he would be the top player on most teams boards. I just do not see it, but this could change quickly if he can string a few outings in a row.

Archie Bradley is showing that flash from the summer league again and he is on the radar of the Cubs, but if his post season continues strong he will not be at 9.

Tyler Anderson should have a nickname of Robert Plant because his draft status is sinking faster than a Led Zepplin. This past weekend was an absolute train wreck facing the UCLA squad. It could push him way down and if it continues to haunt him, he could be in the supplemental conversation.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #102 by Tenth Inning » May 10th, 2011, 1:04 pm

Don wrote:Dan you need to put Meyer in that conversation of top 10-15 players. I watched his outing against Vanderbilt. If he showed that type of command and control on a constent basis on his fastball and slider, he would be the top player on most teams boards. I just do not see it, but this could change quickly if he can string a few outings in a row.

Archie Bradley is showing that flash from the summer league again and he is on the radar of the Cubs, but if his post season continues strong he will not be at 9.

Tyler Anderson should have a nickname of Robert Plant because his draft status is sinking faster than a Led Zepplin. This past weekend was an absolute train wreck facing the UCLA squad. It could push him way down and if it continues to haunt him, he could be in the supplemental conversation.

Meyer fell just outside my current top 15, certainly a first rounder. I understand his stock is rising. I think one of the differences in our lists is that I'm slow to react to rising or falling status. I try to temper recent results and performances and look for longer trends.

Also I should note, this is not a mock draft or a list of where I think guys will go, just my opinion of the top talents in the draft.

Like I said, the tiers bunch similar talents together, usually within 5 points or so of OFP. There's plenty of room for subjectivity in the list.
Tenth Inning
Senior Editor & Columnist
Orioles Nation Staff
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #103 by Don » May 10th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Guys that fit the mold of Joe Jordan picks in the second, third, fourth, and fifth round to watch this spring. I ma higher on these guys that others.

Larry Greene OF Berrien County HS
Tyler Goeddell ATH St. Francis HS
Hawtin Buchanan P Biloxi HS
Dwight Smith OF McIntosh HS
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #104 by Don » May 10th, 2011, 6:29 pm

Meyer fell just outside my current top 15, certainly a first rounder. I understand his stock is rising. I think one of the differences in our lists is that I'm slow to react to rising or falling status. I try to temper recent results and performances and look for longer trends.

Also I should note, this is not a mock draft or a list of where I think guys will go, just my opinion of the top talents in the draft.

Like I said, the tiers bunch similar talents together, usually within 5 points or so of OFP. There's plenty of room for subjectivity in the list.

I am not getting on your assessment at all. I just think that Alex Meyer has true potential, if and only if, he can control his pitches. He was flat out untouchable this past weekend and was already seen as a first round pick. If he can string along a few more the draft, he can place himself in that upper half with ease.

Biggest Reach: I hear strongly that Levi Michael is the pick for the Diamondback in slot #7. I think Levi will easily stick at SS and I think he is a poor man's Stephen Drew. Levi is easily a first or supplemental pick, but this high is something I would simply pass in a solid top heavy draft, but they have fiscal demands and Levi could be an easy slot sign.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PostPost #105 by Don » May 10th, 2011, 9:25 pm

I just saw that ESPN had something similar about Levi to Arizona, so if everyone thinks this something else will happen.

I have always thought Jackie Bradley in that spot and even more so with the injury ot the wrist. I think he takes a slot deal and does not take the risk that he sees playing out with Rendon at the moment. The last thing you want is to come back slow and continue with nagging injuries.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

PreviousNext

Return to MLB Draft