Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Tanaka not Peguero!!!!!

Tanaka not Peguero!!!!!

PostPost #1 by docjj » December 5th, 2013, 11:26 am

Why on earth do we want Francisco Pegeuro? He stinks. He offers nothing.....

Now that there's a maximum posting fee of $20 million, we should make a concerted effort to sign Tanaka...
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Tanaka not Peguero!!!!!

PostPost #2 by AlexConway » December 5th, 2013, 1:03 pm

docjj wrote:Why on earth do we want Francisco Pegeuro? He stinks. He offers nothing.....

Now that there's a maximum posting fee of $20 million, we should make a concerted effort to sign Tanaka...

One literally has nothing to do with the other.

However, you're right in that the Orioles should be in on Tanaka especially since if his price gets too high they have get their money back. A great way to sign a top flight pitcher without giving up a draft pick. Lets see if they pull the trigger.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #3 by osforlife » December 5th, 2013, 6:50 pm

Is the maximum posting fee really only $20 now? That's fantastic to hear honestly. I would definitely make a push for Tanaka now. His actual price may rise a bit from the low posting fee, but this is a young, elite pitcher that would be the Orioles' best pitcher right now. He'd sign without draft pick compensation or having to trade Baltimore's prospects.

Who would rather sign #3 Ervin Santana to four years/$60MM with draft pick compensation or #2 Masahiro Tanaka for six years/$72MM(posting free included) with no draft pick compensation?

Please go for it!
1) Sign Tanaka
2) Sign Chris Capuano
3) Trade JJ Hardy for salary relief and prospects
4) Sign Eric Chavez for platoon at third base with Danny Valencia
5) Sign Left-Handed Platoon(Nate McLouth, Chris Coghlan, Chris Dickerson, Brennan Boesch) in left field with Steve Pearce.
6) Recieve Miles Head as PTBNL in Jim Johnson trade
7) Sign Jayson Nix for middle infield insurance
8) Find a cheap way to platoon two players at DH. Maybe Steve Clevenger is the majority platoon partner??
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » December 6th, 2013, 5:47 pm

I suspect Francisco Pegeuro is like Felix Pie. Once seen with loads of potential. He's now one of those "Well he could come on in the right situation" types.

Seems unlikely to me, but that is how I see it.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by docjj » December 6th, 2013, 11:22 pm

Pie at least had a few good minor league years. Pegeuro never even hit in the minors. At 26 he's going to catch fire and hit in the Majors?

Good lord, if he's even on the roster opening day, we're completely hosed....
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #6 by AlexConway » December 7th, 2013, 11:08 am

docjj wrote:Pie at least had a few good minor league years. Pegeuro never even hit in the minors. At 26 he's going to catch fire and hit in the Majors?

Good lord, if he's even on the roster opening day, we're completely hosed....

Peguero is a career .306 minor league hitter. He was also listed as the No. 7 prospect in the Giants organization last year. I like the idea of signing prospects that never got a shot, maybe you can catch fire with them. It can't be the only thing you do, but it's a good strategy for trying to build depth.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #7 by osforlife » December 7th, 2013, 12:43 pm

I agree, minor league signings have no risk, but I won't like it if Peguero is on the Opening Day Roster. The man has a .718 OPS in the PCL AAA League! He should start the year in Norfolk.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Return to Baltimore Orioles