Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Willing To Listen To Offers For Jim Johnson

Orioles Willing To Listen To Offers For Jim Johnson

PostPost #1 by osforlife » November 27th, 2013, 11:53 am

The Orioles are willing to listen to trade offers for closer Jim Johnson, according to ESPN's Buster Olney (on Twitter). Baltimore is facing a massive payroll crunch this offseason, and Johnson's $10.8MM projected salary (per MLBTR's Matt Swartz) would seem to be a definite roadblock in their pursuit of top free agents to whom they've been linked, such as Carlos Beltran.

Olney recently profiled the Orioles' budget situation and spoke with other executives who felt that Johnson would be "the most painless cut" the team could make. The Orioles opened 2013 with a $92MM payroll and figure to be around that mark again in 2014. Spending nearly $11MM on their closer would seem to be a questionable allocation of their funds.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/o ... hnson.html
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Orioles Willing To Listen To Offers For Jim Johnson

PostPost #2 by osforlife » November 27th, 2013, 12:02 pm

I hope the Orioles are able to find a trade partner for Jim Johnson, but I doubt it. They waited too long. This time last off-season, he was coming off an even better year, still had two years left on his contract, in a much weaker market, and he wasn't going to be paid nearly as much in 2013. But now, what idiotic GM would trade away an asset to acquire one year of a relief pitcher, when they could just sign one of Grant Balfour, Joaquin Benoit, Edward Mujica, Joe Nathan, Fernando Rodney, and Brian Wilson for multiple years.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » November 27th, 2013, 1:14 pm

You know it's funny. Some people will say:
"What do you want? The man has saved 100 games in 2 years for God's sake!"

But he's not completely clutch. He's been royally whacked around at mid season 2 years in a row. It's simply too much money. Additionally it's the team's fault. Drafting a college pitcher with two really good looking pitches and high velocity, isn't that hard to find in the drafts first two rounds. Closers rarely have long runs in that role. You simply replace them. You manage your payroll. Johnson's payroll would be too high at $6 mill a year.

I think Tommy Hunter would be more reliable in the role. Cheaper as well.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by LA Detective » November 29th, 2013, 7:00 pm

I hope PA hasn't put us in a strangle hole $ wise so we have to get rid of players. JJ does allow the rest of the Pen to fall in place. I would like us to add another elite arm to the pen to enhance it. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a solid closer if we are not forced to $ wise.

That being said I would like to see us trade JJ if we can get a significantly valuable piece now and in the future. JJ isnt a candidate for an extension. And if we keep him we get nothing when he leaves. I think there a lot of tough innings in that arm and I could see him breaking down in the future past this coming year.

Almost same thing with Hardy.

I am really curious what deals could be had.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #5 by AlexConway » December 2nd, 2013, 2:03 pm

Ken Rosenthal just reported on Twitter that the Orioles are trying "hard" to trade Jim Johnson. Reported that the Dodgers are in the mix. I am usually not one for creating trade proposals, anyone got any bright ideas?
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » December 2nd, 2013, 2:59 pm

AlexConway wrote:Ken Rosenthal just reported on Twitter that the Orioles are trying "hard" to trade Jim Johnson. Reported that the Dodgers are in the mix. I am usually not one for creating trade proposals, anyone got any bright ideas?

Take Matt Kemp off their hands. Have the Dodgers pick up some of Kemp's salary and put Kemp in left field.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #7 by AlexConway » December 2nd, 2013, 3:25 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Take Matt Kemp off their hands. Have the Dodgers pick up some of Kemp's salary and put Kemp in left field.

Kemp would have to come with a whole lot of money back. I could see Andre Ethier as well--I have seen some strong speculation around the internet about Ethier. He has been pretty productive and hit .854 OPS against RHP last season. Although a substantial amount of money would have to come back with him to.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Return to Baltimore Orioles