Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Eligible for Rule 5 Draft

Re: Orioles Eligible for Rule 5 Draft

PostPost #16 by Old Sneakers » November 21st, 2013, 5:33 pm

I will be a little surprised if Drake is selected. I just think he tops out as something of a fringe talent limited to one inning at a go in a bullpen.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #17 by osforlife » November 22nd, 2013, 5:44 pm

The selections to be positioned on the 40-man are a little surprising to me, as Berry and Ohlman are not nearly close to contributing at the major league level, let alone stay on it. I figured Drake, Gamboa, and Joseph would be promoted, simply because they have a good chance of helping out the Orioles this year.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #18 by Old Sneakers » November 23rd, 2013, 6:46 am

osforlife wrote:The selections to be positioned on the 40-man are a little surprising to me, as Berry and Ohlman are not nearly close to contributing at the major league level, let alone stay on it. I figured Drake, Gamboa, and Joseph would be promoted, simply because they have a good chance of helping out the Orioles this year.

Ohlman being a catcher makes the chance of him sticking as even a backup very attractive. The position is just plain hard to develop. As for Berry, I suspect the organization really thinks in two years time they've a left handed starter in the big leagues. Certainly not a finished product but one that could be very important.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #19 by ofahn » December 23rd, 2013, 9:53 am

osforlife wrote:I figured ... Joseph would be promoted

I was surprised he wasn't promoted and even more surprised he wasn't selected.

I'm glad they protected Ohlman because I could have seen a team like Houston taking him. His bat is probably ahead of his glove and they could have given him about 100 ABs at DH as well as C.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #20 by osforlife » December 23rd, 2013, 4:01 pm

ofahn wrote:I was surprised he wasn't promoted and even more surprised he wasn't selected.

I'm glad they protected Ohlman because I could have seen a team like Houston taking him. His bat is probably ahead of his glove and they could have given him about 100 ABs at DH as well as C.

I think the Chicago Whitesox could have taken him too. They selected Adrian Nieto, an A+ catcher who produced a .821 OPS. Ohlman's OPS was .934. Good choice Duquette. I'm very glad no one from Baltimore's organization got selected. The Orioles got Julio Borbon in the AAA phase, which I'm actually excited about. He's killed AAA and held his own in the majors. Much like Chris Dickerson.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Previous

Return to Minor Leagues