Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Eligible for Rule 5 Draft

Orioles Eligible for Rule 5 Draft

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » November 8th, 2013, 8:23 am

My latest piece on the Rule 5 Draft:

http://orioles-nation.com/2013/11/08/or ... e-5-draft/
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Orioles Eligible for Rule 5 Draft

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » November 8th, 2013, 9:23 am

Good Article. Thank you.

I don't see anyone unprotected in the Orioles system that stays on a Major League Roster all season. This time next year on the other hand could be a different matter. Tim Berry and Michael Ohlman aren't worth the trouble just yet. As your article states these are guys at A+ and still have a lot to prove.

The odd thing here is that if players press the issue having good years next season: Berry, Ohlman, Drake and even Schrader could end up exposed and drafted. These players may not want that as this team has all the need for what they do as is. Each could find themselves ruined by a drafting club and become outright resentful. The Rule V draft is good for players stuck in no man's land (blocked on the parent team). Or returning from injury. Not prospects in a sound position to succeed.

Last year the Orioles selected T.J. McFarland and I have to wonder how he (privately) feels about it. In Cleveland he was a AAA starter nearly ready for a shot at their rotation. The man really might have been a great fit for them as a back of the rotation starter. He just needed a little more time. So he's left unprotected and the Orioles take him. He got to spend all of 2013 on a ML Roster and got a pay increase. Long term though I suspect his payday is as a 5th or 6th SP. I suspect the Orioles seriously try using him in the rotation to start 2014 and then if he's still not ready it's Norfolk or return to the bullpen. It should be interesting to see if there is a competition between Matusz and McFarland next spring for that last rotation spot.

The team went to a huge amount of trouble to keep McFarland. My guess is that it wasn't just for an average lefty reliever. A roster spot all season long... Do you see anyone the team leaves unprotected worth going to that trouble for?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by osforlife » November 8th, 2013, 6:42 pm

Brian Matusz is no longer a starter. The Orioles managed to terminate that course of action after promoting him to the majors after eight starts at Bowie, rushed him back from his injury in 2011, giving him a rotation spot in 2012 after doing nothing to deserve it, and mismanaging his options. He can no longer go to the minors without proper designation, and he would never get passed waivers. Brian Matusz is a reliever for the rest of his career, unless he is traded to a very bad team, willing to give a LOOGY a rotation spot, in the near future.

As for the Rule V, the Orioles have went great lengths to keep Flaherty and McFarland on their roster in the past two years, respectively. Neither have looked very impressive honestly. I want to believe that McFarland could be something other than a reliever, but he's never had is K/9 rate in the minors exceed 6.9. He's given up a H/9 above 9.0 every year he's pitched. In any case, I'd slot TJ into a Norfolk rotation spot and see what he's got. If TJ McFarland is able to fight for a rotation spot in Spring Training, the 2014 Orioles are doomed.

Nice article Tucker! I'd forget about Ohlman & Berry. No team will select a A+ player, and reasonable expect him to make the major league roster, let alone stay on it all year. Gurka isn't worth a 40-man since Baltimore already has enough LHP floating around. Schrader won't get selected and won't get put on our 40-man. I expect Gamboa, Joseph, and Drake to all start the year at Norfolk, which naturally puts them in a position to help out the big league club at some point in the season. This justifies my reasoning of placing them on the 40-man roster.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » November 8th, 2013, 9:52 pm

osforlife wrote:Brian Matusz is no longer a starter. The Orioles managed to terminate that course of action after promoting him to the majors after eight starts at Bowie, rushed him back from his injury in 2011, giving him a rotation spot in 2012 after doing nothing to deserve it, and mismanaging his options. He can no longer go to the minors without proper designation, and he would never get passed waivers. Brian Matusz is a reliever for the rest of his career, unless he is traded to a very bad team, willing to give a LOOGY a rotation spot, in the near future.

I can't argue with what you said above. Every word of it is true. But $3,000,000 salary for a 1 or 2 out guy in the bullpen is lunacy. My guess is he gets an audition in spring training for some sort of expanded role if he isn't traded.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » November 13th, 2013, 6:43 pm

FYI:

If you are interested in the entire list of those eligible for the Rule 5, check out the database: http://bit.ly/1fCv5AI
I do need to clean it up a little bit (remove some former players, and there are a lot!)

/ Edit

I cleaned that up, shouldn't be anymore former players on the list. Let me know if you spot any though
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by ofahn » November 14th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:It should be interesting to see if there is a competition between Matusz and McFarland next spring for that last rotation spot.

I would really be surprised if Matusz is in ST with the Orioles.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by Tucker Blair » November 19th, 2013, 8:58 pm

Reminder that tomorrow is the deadline for protecting players from the Rule 5 Draft

Check out the database for the entire list http://bit.ly/1fCv5AI
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #8 by j.q. higgins » November 20th, 2013, 7:35 am

j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » November 20th, 2013, 9:18 am

j.q. higgins wrote:matt bywater, rick zagone, david baker, aaron wirsch and brandon waring are gone.

Thank you.

Scary thing is, I already have deleted about 30 other names! Not good for a system to have that much turnover
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by j.q. higgins » November 20th, 2013, 3:04 pm

i mean, a lot of it has been cleaning out joe jordan's pet projects...i'd rather see them look for new answers than continue to invest in dead ends.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

PostPost #11 by Old Sneakers » November 20th, 2013, 4:20 pm

j.q. higgins wrote:i mean, a lot of it has been cleaning out joe jordan's pet projects...i'd rather see them look for new answers than continue to invest in dead ends.

Points to you!

That is a a pretty accurate assessment of what seems to have been happening. If the current regime is able to churn out real talent then I am perfectly alright with it too. However, while it's still early to look at the 2012 draft. I am not seeing any real steals to make you think we need room.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

PostPost #12 by j.q. higgins » November 20th, 2013, 6:01 pm

well, it's further indictment of the jordan regime that the current crew thinks they're better off stocking the upper levels of the minors w/ fringey castoffs from other orgs and speculative jousts in the international market. this could be the first year in a while that several home grown guys make their case in one form or another.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » November 20th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Agreed on all points.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by Tucker Blair » November 20th, 2013, 8:06 pm

And there we have it,

C Michael Ohlman, LHP Tim Berry and RHP Eddie Gamboa have been added to the Orioles 40-man roster.

http://bit.ly/1cH7UTo
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #15 by j.q. higgins » November 20th, 2013, 9:24 pm

shoulda put money on gamboa!
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Next