Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

O's Interested in Carlos Beltran?

O's Interested in Carlos Beltran?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » November 15th, 2013, 12:48 pm

Ken Rosenthal @Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #Orioles interested in Beltran. Pursuit may hinge on team clearing Wieters or another high-salaried player.

Well, that is interesting. I trust the word of Rosenthal over most.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 44

Re: O's Interested in Carlos Beltran?

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » November 15th, 2013, 3:12 pm

He would certainly fit will at LF. Do you bat him third?

I don't believe it though. Too many other needs exist long before you go this route. SP, lead off hitter, 2B, even closer... I swear if they blow up next year's draft anymore than they already have I may stop paying attention to baseball all together until the Orioles ownership changes.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #3 by Seafordeagles » November 15th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Rosenthal was totally wrong last season on what he said the Orioles will do as far as free agents and trades. All this stuff that we read now is useless fodder that these guys (and some of them are pure hacks) put out there. I especially like where they put "unnamed front office personnel". If it's true "put your name on it".

I do like Rosenthal as well but in reality these guys are mostly putting there own ideas out there. The only difference between the writers and forum posters is that they get paid to do it.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #4 by osforlife » November 16th, 2013, 6:56 pm

I'm not interested.
1. He comes with draft pick compensation.
2. He'll get at least a two year deal covering his declining years(WAR & OPS have dropped the last three years. There's no reason to expect this trend to change.
3. He doesn't steal bases, he doesn't play average defense, and he'll need some DH time.
4. Beltran is projected by Steamer to provide an .816 OPS & a 1.8 WAR. David Murphy is one year removed from a .859 OPS, is projected for a .748 OPS & 2.0 WAR, and will come at a fraction of Beltran's price.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #5 by mikezpen » November 17th, 2013, 12:06 am

The Orioles have been "linked" to every top free agent since Catfish Hunter started it, yet the last top one we signed was Tejada in 2004.

I don't put any stock in rumors like this.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by jonas winslo » November 20th, 2013, 5:13 pm

Beltran peaked a decade ago.
jonas winslo
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Return to Baltimore Orioles