Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Money Found is Much Sweeter than Money Earned: Cheap Pitching

Money Found is Much Sweeter than Money Earned: Cheap Pitching

PostPost #1 by osforlife » November 8th, 2013, 6:57 pm

http://orioles-nation.com/2013/11/06/mo ... -pitching/

Please no Edison Volquez. He strikes people out but walks way too many. He's only had one good year in the majors.

Roberto Hernandez is a possibility, but I like Ryan Vogelsong, Shaun Marcum, Chris Capuano, Dan Haren, Roy Halladay, and Josh Johnson more.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Money Found is Much Sweeter than Money Earned: Cheap Starting Pit

PostPost #2 by AlexConway » November 9th, 2013, 2:21 pm

Yeah, Edinson Volquez is more like the corroded penny fused to your cup-holder than a crisp $20 bill. The point is that you could get him for essentially nothing and see if he's got anything left. A lathe Jair Jurrjens, Nate McLouth, Miguel Tejada, etc. type of transactions that DD seems to love.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

Re: Money Found is Much Sweeter than Money Earned: Cheap Starting Pit

PostPost #3 by osforlife » November 9th, 2013, 5:39 pm

I get it, but if wants more than one million he's not worth it. He has a career WHIP of 1.505, 2.75 ERA, and just a 1.77 K/BB; in the national league! He's bad, but a high strikeout rate is never a bad thing to have. I'd rather put Wada in Norfolk's 5th spot after Gausman, Wright, Stinson, and McFarland than Volquez though.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

Re: Money Found is Much Sweeter than Money Earned: Cheap Pitching

PostPost #4 by AlexConway » November 12th, 2013, 11:27 am

osforlife wrote:I get it, but if wants more than one million he's not worth it. He has a career WHIP of 1.505, 2.75 ERA, and just a 1.77 K/BB; in the national league! He's bad, but a high strikeout rate is never a bad thing to have. I'd rather put Wada in Norfolk's 5th spot after Gausman, Wright, Stinson, and McFarland than Volquez though.

Yeah, I was thinking the Jair Jurrjens contract as a framework for Volquez. A minor league deal with a call-up deadline...something along those lines to see if you can get lucky and catch lightning in a bottle at essentially no cost. He was atrocious last year and was simply outright released by the Padres, so I don't think he'll command too much more than that in the open market.
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

PostPost #5 by ofahn » November 13th, 2013, 10:24 am

osforlife wrote:I like ... Roy Halladay, and Josh Johnson more

I would take a risk on both of these guys as a one year contract. At this point Halladay's probably a #3 SP with an upside of a quality #2 and Johnson is about the same with a slightly lower upside. What I like about Halladay is that he's a winner and might be the kind of example our rotation has been missing for a long time. Johnson is just a good pitcher when he's healthy.

IMO Volquez, Marcum and a bunch of others are reclamation projects and shouldn't be given a ML contract. I wish our FO was innovative and willing to offer signing bonuses for these kinds of pitchers in the 250 to 350K range on a minor contract with an opt out date. It would make us an attractive option to rebuild a career, but not cost us a 40 Man Roster spot.

Let's say we made three of those investments for about 1M and only one of them worked out. So what? We'd have a legit ML SP without having to over pay for another Bud Norris.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by AlexConway » November 13th, 2013, 11:33 am

ofahn wrote:
I would take a risk on both of these guys as a one year contract. At this point Halladay's probably a #3 SP with an upside of a quality #2 and Johnson is about the same with a slightly lower upside. What I like about Halladay is that he's a winner and might be the kind of example our rotation has been missing for a long time. Johnson is just a good pitcher when he's healthy.

IMO Volquez, Marcum and a bunch of others are reclamation projects and shouldn't be given a ML contract. I wish our FO was innovative and willing to offer signing bonuses for these kinds of pitchers in the 250 to 350K range on a minor contract with an opt out date. It would make us an attractive option to rebuild a career, but not cost us a 40 Man Roster spot.

Let's say we made three of those investments for about 1M and only one of them worked out. So what? We'd have a legit ML SP without having to over pay for another Bud Norris.

Yeah, that type of deal is exactly what I am looking for the Orioles to do. I also agree on Johnson and Halladay..although they would be much more expensive gambles.
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

PostPost #7 by ofahn » November 13th, 2013, 11:47 am

AlexConway wrote:I also agree on Johnson and Halladay..although they would be much more expensive gambles.

If the Nats can afford a payroll of 120M on THEIR revenues then we should be able to at least match that. If those two would sign for a combined 15M guaranteed with another 15M in incentives I would pay it and my reputation on this board should be I'm cautious with payroll.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles