Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Ken Rosenthal mentions national TV revenue

Ken Rosenthal mentions national TV revenue

PostPost #1 by Seafordeagles » November 7th, 2013, 7:31 pm

I was reading a article about Curtis Granderson and ken Rosenthal mentioned the following:

"Teams need players like Granderson. And they are ready to spend their new national TV money, which is increasing from $25 million to $52 million annually next season."

I didn't know this about the TV revenue and my thoughts are what is Peter Angelos going to do with the extra 27 million each year? Is he going to spend it on his team? Is he going to pocket the extra revenue? Should the Orioles overpay for free agents like most clubs do? Any thoughts from the forum?

Wieters and Chris Davis will not sign extensions this close to free agency. Boras would never allow that to happen. Boras never works that way.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

Re: Ken Rosenthal mentions national TV revenue

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » November 8th, 2013, 7:46 am

I suspect the team's payroll will grow some. Not just players but all staff to keep up with the ML as a whole. I also suspect he increases profits and gets to keep some. To me though if I had say, I would put money into scouts/talent evaluators, international efforts, and trying to get more out of the short season clubs. Sadly though I remain uninvolved and have no say.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » November 8th, 2013, 9:07 am

I would sure hope the payroll would grow some.

Totally agree on putting more resources into scouts/talent evaluators. I think that is still the #1 most important effort for this club. Look where it has gotten other teams such as the Cardinals (they are an easy example, but they do it very well).

There will really be no more excuses for this club. Everyone knows what they have available to work with at this point.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » November 8th, 2013, 1:02 pm

Please don't sign any free agent that means giving up a draft pick. The Yankees and Red Sox each have 3 players that they offered arbitration to. That means if those 6 sign with other teams they will each get 3 first round draft picks.

Something is really wrong with the system. It more than benefits the rich teams.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #5 by ofahn » December 31st, 2013, 12:56 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Sadly though I remain uninvolved and have no say.

A damn SHAME if you ask me.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #6 by dan72 » January 2nd, 2014, 4:46 pm

The Orioles have done nothing in free agency for two years in a row now. Yes I know they locked up Adam Jones but that move does not elevate the team to contender status. I can't imagine Dan Duquette is happy in his role being hamstrung by such a horrible owner. King Peter will pocket as much of the TV money as he can.
So in protest King Peter wil get none of my money this year. As a season ticket holder for the past 15 years, I will spend my money else where this year.... I can only hope that other fans will follow suit. Instead I will spend my $3000 on visiting minor league stadiums thoughout the east coast.
Take that King Peter.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by ofahn » January 3rd, 2014, 10:59 am

dan72 wrote:So in protest King Peter wil get none of my money this year. As a season ticket holder for the past 15 years, I will spend my money else where this year.... I can only hope that other fans will follow suit. Instead I will spend my $3000 on visiting minor league stadiums thoughout the east coast.
Take that King Peter.

This approach by LOTS and LOTS of fans may be the only way to get Angelos' attention. If he's going to wreck the franchise by strip mining it then he should suffer the consequences.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » January 7th, 2014, 6:18 pm

No reason we shouldn't be at the 120 Mil mark. This doesn't mean bad signings like most of this years FA were but we should be able to be in on Tanaka and get AJ Burnett and a decent bat for DH ..And the security of knowing we can extend or resign the players we want to keep.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #9 by luke1010 » January 18th, 2014, 10:21 pm

LA Detective wrote:No reason we shouldn't be at the 120 Mil mark. This doesn't mean bad signings like most of this years FA were but we should be able to be in on Tanaka and get AJ Burnett and a decent bat for DH ..And the security of knowing we can extend or resign the players we want to keep.

I don't disagree. It's true that you don't want to spend money just because you have it (ask LAA how that went), but the Orioles are arguably the team that needs Tanaka the most at this moment, yet they're no where to be found in the Tanaka discussions. Discouraging, but that's the way it goes. If a reporter pressed them about the national TV money, I assume Duquette (or whomever) would say that they're saving it for their own players (decision time on Hardy, Davis and Wieters is coming fast) and using it to improve the organization in places that the casual fan doesn't see much (minor league facilities, spring training facilities, etc.).
luke1010
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #10 by thezeroes » January 19th, 2014, 9:53 am

luke1010 wrote: If a reporter pressed them about the national TV money, I assume Duquette (or whomever) would say that they're saving it for their own players (decision time on Hardy, Davis and Wieters is coming fast) and using it to improve the organization in places that the casual fan doesn't see much (minor league facilities, spring training facilities, etc.).

With the increase that Chris Davis received you can almost see the direction and value of what his extension would be and if you take the "Taxes" away from the "Revenue Influx" from the National TV Share this would probably be a wash going forward. IMO

This revenue does and will not be enough for the aforementioned additional expenses from players that should be kept (Hardy, Machado. Tillman, Wieters) and signed to extensions. At some point the Orioles will need to fish or cut bait with Wei-Yen Chen, Gonzalez, Britton, Flaherty, Matusz, Norris and Hunter just to name a few that are already into the Arbitration process or will be in a couple of years.

Some of these contracts have buy out options (Markakis, Chen) that will be paying for players that are not here. When it comes to the Waiver Trade Deadline it also would be nice to have some revenue remaining to 'ADD" salary instead of sitting back and doing nothing.

Having said all the above, I think it is best to allow the Orioles warehouse to set the salary structure as opposed to the fans wants and presumed needs.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

Return to Baltimore Orioles