Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Realistically what can we do to improve our team???

Realistically what can we do to improve our team???

PostPost #1 by docjj » November 1st, 2013, 4:04 pm

I just don't see a ton of talent out there. I don't see any talent out there that won't carry a ton of risk and break the bank.

If money were no object:

I'd break the bank to sign Choo, Cano, and Tanaka. How awesome would that be? A versatile on-base guy who's a good defender with pop in the bat to lead off or hit second. A superstar second baseman who hits a ton and is great defensively, in the prime of his career. A top shelf #1 or #2 starter that the league hasn't seen before.

Sadly, money is an object. The Red Sox, Yankees, Giants, Mariners, Rangers, Dodgers all want Tanaka. Ugh. It might cost over $60 million just to win the rights to sign him. (When will MLB stop favoring the big market teams and make these guys go through the draft?).

Everything else out there seems like junk. Which starter would you sign? Halladay? Bruce Chen? Ervin Santana? You'll need to overpay too. Thanks to Licecum's absurd deal...

Yuck.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: Realistically what can we do to improve our team???

PostPost #2 by thezeroes » November 1st, 2013, 6:06 pm

First you need to see who gets the Qualifying Offer and either accepts it or declares his Free Agency.

Then you need to see who is the agent for the Free Agent that does not have a Qualifying Offer.

Then you need to assess the asking price/years of the pending contract.

Then you need to figure if they will help or hurt the ball club going forward if the pending free agent gets hurt and misses time.

Then you need to figure who would be the corresponding move within the Organization.

Then you need to accept the fact that all money in these contracts is guaranteed and will eventually add up to enough that some of the upcoming Arbitration Eligible Players and your own teams pending free agents will be priced OFF the roster.

Signing free agents can/will be an albatross if/when in-house candidates that are more affordable would/could give you more bang for the buck.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 38

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » November 1st, 2013, 9:16 pm

To answer the OP without looking at what anyone else has said:

1: Sign a legitimate SP
2: Sign at least two Utility type players. One infielder, one outfielder. Hopefully one will be a good OBP type guy and get additional ABs as one of the team's DH's

I don't know if anyone's brought it up. But Brian Matusz is due a pay raise this off-season. I seem to recall it putting him in that $3 Million a year pay range. Sorry but I don't think he's worth it. This is a trade piece.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » November 1st, 2013, 9:20 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:To answer the OP without looking at what anyone else has said:

1: Sign a legitimate SP
2: Sign at least two Utility type players. One infielder, one outfielder. Hopefully one will be a good OBP type guy and get additional ABs as one of the team's DH's

I don't know if anyone's brought it up. But Brian Matusz is due a pay raise this off-season. I seem to recall it putting him in that $3 Million a year pay range. Sorry but I don't think he's worth it. This is a trade piece.

Yea, I agree.

I don't think it's any coincidence that they have stocked up on guys like Jason Gurka , Mike Belfiore and Chris Jones. They all have legitimate chances at a big role if the O's did think about moving Matusz. But, I also think Matusz could take on a larger role if they allowed him to. I don't think he necessarily has to stay a LOOGY. But he's not starting for the O's anymore, which means $3MM is a ton of money for a RP at his stage.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #5 by osforlife » November 2nd, 2013, 11:12 am

We talk about trading Brian Matusz because he is getting to expensive. Hello, Baltimore is about to pay $11MM for a relief pitcher (Jim Johnson). Are you kidding me?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » November 2nd, 2013, 1:09 pm

osforlife wrote:We talk about trading Brian Matusz because he is getting to expensive. Hello, Baltimore is about to pay $11MM for a relief pitcher (Jim Johnson). Are you kidding me?

I think at this point it is just a given that JJ is ridiculously expensive :lol:
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #7 by LA Detective » November 2nd, 2013, 2:31 pm

We absolutely have to have an innings eater SP to compete for a WS next year. I think having one would allow the whole staff to fall in place.

The guy I would like to see us pursue is RA Dickey. 225 IP would be huge for us. From looking at his stats last year he simply does not pitch well in Toronto on that turf. His road ERA is a run less than his home. Turf ERA big split too. Toronto might consider trading him.

If payroll is truly a problem DD would have to be creative. I wouldn't give up our top prospects but would try to deal from the trio of Matusz, Norris, Britton plus taking on his contract. It is something I would explore.

Im not a fan of what is on the FA market.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #8 by Old Sneakers » November 2nd, 2013, 2:40 pm

osforlife wrote:We talk about trading Brian Matusz because he is getting to expensive. Hello, Baltimore is about to pay $11MM for a relief pitcher (Jim Johnson). Are you kidding me?

Yes, Jim Johnson is getting very expensive. But he at least has earned that money. That is how it goes, you perform well, you go through the arbitration eligible years and earn a significant pay raise.

Matuzs on the other hand is essentially going to get SP money. Something he most definitely has not earned.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #9 by AlexConway » November 2nd, 2013, 3:12 pm

The Orioles have to get better on a budget which is hard to do when you don't have the prospects banging down the door. I think you see Flaherty come in at 2nd, which honestly I'm fine with. He provides solid defense, can bat 9th, and hit a few bombs. For LF, I would really love a platoon. Its the cheapest way to really build a complete player, I think you'll see a similar strategy for DH.

Pitching, they'll sign one starter, and I think one late inning reliever. That'll be it, they might acquire any of those pieces through trade as well. That's what I see happening and I think if the right players are acquired the team will be better.
Follow me on twitter @AlexConwayON
AlexConway
Orioles Nation Staff

Reputation Score: 6

PostPost #10 by osforlife » November 3rd, 2013, 2:12 pm

I'd stay away from free agents tied to draft pick compensation and/or long-term contracts. It seems like contracts above three years rarely work out honestly. If I was truly the GM, I would push for the trading of Chris Davis. DD seems to believe a mid-market team does not need a strong farm system to succeed in the consistently toughest division in baseball. I'm a conservative imaginary GM, so I generally believe
1. Let prospects season in the minors(nearly one year at every affiliate)
2. Use what the farm system gives you. In other words, if a minor league player performed well at AAA, utilize him on the major league roster. There is no need to spend money of a free agent that may or may not be an upgrade over what you already have.
3. Don't make stupid rental trades for the present. Also, don't make emotionally backed knee-jerk reactionary transactions.

Trading Chris Davis would shape the entire off-season differently. But, if that move isn't going to happen, this is what Baltimore needs;
1- a second baseman. Flaherty can't hit LHP, hasn't hit in AAA, hasn't hit in the majors, and the Orioles would be minimizing a valuable, versatile asset by restricting him to second base. Let him be the every day super-utility man for the Tides. Schoop isn't ready and should be Norfolk's everyday second baseman. My solution; sign Kelly Johnson to a two year deal. He has equal splits, plays above average defense, has a little speed, and is versatile. He can hold down second base until Schoop is ready. At that point, transition him to Baltimore's utility.

2-a left fielder. LJ Hoes would have slid into this role perfectly. But no, DD needed a #5 starter. Henry Urrutia probably could use more time with Norfolk. Steve Pearce is not a regular, but is a solid complementary piece. My solution; sign David Murphy to a one year deal. He plays average defense, has a little speed, and hit .283/.346/.449 from 2008 to 2012. He's a perfect bounce-back candidate IMO.

3- a starter. Chris Tillman, Wei Yin Chen, Miguel Gonzalez, and Bud Norris will fill out the first four spots of the rotation. The fifth spot must be filled, and necessary depth must be acquired. Kevin Gausman and Mike Wright are not ready, while Josh Stinson, Steve Johnson, and TJ McFarland should not be counted on for original starting options. My solution; sign a low-cost starter, short-term deal with a bounce back starter like Ryan Vogelsong or Chris Capuano. Suk Min Yoon would also be on my radar, although he doesn't really fit the description above. So, sign one of those three, while also signing Tsuyoshi Wada and Shaun Marcum. One of Vogelsong, Capuano, or Moon will fill the 5th spot, while Wada fills the fifth spot in Norfolk's rotation, and Marcum provides depth for both. We all know a team rarely gets through the whole year with five starting pitchers.

4. a DH. It would be a shame to waste Steve Pearce's or Danny Valencia's quality hitting against LHP, so all Baltimore really needs is a left handed complement. A radical solution would be to acquire another backup catcher, and let Steve Clevenger hit against RHP. Wilson Betemit would come cheap as a DH against RHP. Mike Morse would be a perfect bounce back candidate, even though he does not fit the description of a left handed DH.

Additional bench roles and relief pitchers will need to be brought in, but that can be done through minor league deals.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #11 by dan72 » November 3rd, 2013, 4:35 pm

Need to trade for a innings eater #2 starter. We can't afford a #1, and we know that we won't pay FA prices. We may pick up some retreads or some has beens for depth but lets be real, those guys are not going to get you over the top.
I would trade Hardy and or Wieters. Both of those guys should bring good prospects.
We also need a real DH. Not a guy that can only hit from one side of the plate.

I would love to see Ubaldo Jimenez. He has rejected the Indians 8 million dollar offer. I would offer him 2/22 million and an option for year 3. He is worth it. I also feel that Schoop is very close to mlb ready. Some may disagree with me on that, but I've seen enough of his bat to know he is for real. I would insert him at ss and see if Flaherty can stick at 2b.

Common theme here is SP, 2b, LF and DH..... thats pretty much the same wish list from last year. Oh thats right, we didn't improve the team any last year......
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

Return to Baltimore Orioles