Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Send Down Josh Rupe and Bring up Troy Patton

Send Down Josh Rupe and Bring up Troy Patton

PostPost #1 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 25th, 2011, 9:34 am

When Josh Rupe broke camp with the Orioles, fans were in disbelief as to why Buck Showalter would stick this guy in his bullpen. Buck argued that they liked what they saw from Rupe in spring training, where he gave up just 2 ER in 14.2 innings pitched. But spring training is spring training--why value 14.2 innings of spring training more than the past 5 seasons of Rupe's career where he allowed a .380 OBP to opposing hitters over 637 plate appearances?

Now that fans are completely fed up with Rupe after allowing 8 ER in 9.1 IP, it's time to look for other options; or to a greater extent, the day when we will no longer have to see him in a Baltimore Orioles uniform. Troy Patton looks to be not only a candidate to replace Rupe, but also a nice option in the long run.

I have no doubts that Troy Patton is a better reliever than Rupe and it couldn't hurt to have a third lefty in the 'pen.

Unless the O's call up Patton, we'll probably have to live with Rupe until Brian Matusz is fully healthy. When Matusz returns Bergesen should slide to the bullpen and Rupe would likely be sent to Norfolk: where he needs to stay for good.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Re: Send Down Josh Rupe and Bring up Troy Patton

PostPost #2 by Don » April 25th, 2011, 10:08 am

I would likely want Pat Egan to get a fair shake at that spot as well. Left/right does not seem to bother Buck, so best arm might be Egan. In all honesty, I would take Patton, Egan, and Pelzer over some of the rag tags in that bullpen.

As for the numbers game, Patton is likely the next man in line. I look over this list and it is not close to 40 man roster that I would like to see at this point. I would have thougth Viola was on the last straw at 28 years old and sitting in Bowie. If they do not plan to use him, why waste a spot and maybe think about rising someone up from Frederick.
Don
Orioles Nation Staff
Director of Scouting
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 25

PostPost #3 by Shorebirdfan » April 25th, 2011, 10:19 am

Can we dump Gonzo to AAA (maybe AA) while we are at it? Give me Egan and Cooney and lets see what happens. Couldn't be any worse.
Shorebirdfan
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 15

PostPost #4 by oriolesmagic28 » April 25th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Gonzo is not good....never was period end of story...waste of $$$
oriolesmagic28
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

PostPost #5 by Jordan Tuwiner » April 26th, 2011, 1:44 pm

Shorebirdfan wrote:Can we dump Gonzo to AAA (maybe AA) while we are at it? Give me Egan and Cooney and lets see what happens. Couldn't be any worse.

I would give Cooney a go up here over Rupe. I wouldn't feel comfortable with Egan, though.
Jordan Tuwiner
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 57

Return to Baltimore Orioles