Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Camden Chat: Jeff Baker a potential target?

Camden Chat: Jeff Baker a potential target?

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » October 21st, 2013, 10:17 am

Nice and realistic read from Kevin of Camden Chat.
http://www.camdenchat.com/2013/10/21/48 ... jeff-baker

I think this is more what we should expect, rather than the ones we usually dream (and there is nothing wrong with that either!). Kevin makes some good points on why Baker would make sense as a platoon/bench guy.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Camden Chat: Jeff Baker a potential target?

PostPost #2 by osforlife » October 21st, 2013, 4:33 pm

I pushed for the Orioles to sign Baker last season. He would have come at like half the price. I think Baker would be a nice addition to a lot of teams, but I'm not so sure he has a position here in Baltimore. The Orioles already have two LHP mashers on the roster; Danny Valencia and Steve Pearce.

Career vs. LHP- Steve Pearce- 1B, LF, RF- .266/.351/.455
Career vs. LHP- Danny Valencia- 1B, 3B- .329/.367/.513
Career vs. LHP- Jeff Baker- 1B, 2B, 3B, LF, RF- .298/.353/.522

Jeff Baker is versatile, cheap, a lefty killer, and will make a great complementary piece on the a major league baseball team. But does he really fit with the Orioles?
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » October 21st, 2013, 6:14 pm

I generally echo your thoughts.

Although I do think one reason this makes sense is depth. The Orioles actually lacked depth at times this season, even with all the crazy minor league signings DD made. The question is, how much do you pay for a guy that probably is just depth/platoon at best?
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 30th, 2013, 12:31 pm

osforlife wrote:Jeff Baker is versatile, cheap, a lefty killer, and will make a great complementary piece on the a major league baseball team. But does he really fit with the Orioles?

Jeff Baker is one of those kind of guys that we should offer a 100K or so bonus to sign a minor league contract with a guarantee of at least 25K per month with an opt out date of a couple of days before opening day and then every 30 days after that. It gives him something to play for and us some relatively cheap depth.

Like the bat, but the glove at 2B; not so much...................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Return to Baltimore Orioles