Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Winter League updates

Winter League updates

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » October 22nd, 2013, 9:41 am

Some player updates around the Winter Leagues (Mexican, Dominican, Venezuelan):

Playing with Caribes de Anzoategui in the Venezuelan League:
T.J. McFarland 3.0 IP 2 H 0 R 0 BB 0 K
Chris Jones 3.0 IP 4 H 0 R 1 BB 1 K

Playing with Bravos de Margarita in the Venezuelan league:
Caleb Joseph .313/.389/.438 (5/16)
Marcel Prado 1.2 IP 5 H 1 R 0 BB 2 K

Playing with Mayos de Navojoa in the Mexican League:
Eddie Gamboa 6.0 IP 3 H 2 R 2 BB 4 K

Playing with Algodoneros de Guasave in the Mexican League:
Zelous Wheeler .276/.343/.621 (8-29) with 3 HR

Something to note: SS Garabez Rosa is listed as an OF and played CF for Gigantes del Cibao in the Dominican Winter League.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Winter League updates

PostPost #2 by mikezpen » October 24th, 2013, 7:43 pm

Joseph really came out of nowhere w/that 22-97 at Bowie this season and .299 BA. Has to improve splits v. RHP (I believe they were only .250s), but still opened some eyes I'm sure.

Do they see him catching or elsewhere?
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » October 24th, 2013, 8:11 pm

mikezpen wrote:Joseph really came out of nowhere w/that 22-97 at Bowie this season and .299 BA. Has to improve splits v. RHP (I believe they were only .250s), but still opened some eyes I'm sure.

I don't think I can personally take away too much from his season. It took him 2-3 years of stalling at Bowie before putting together this season. I saw a better approach at the plate, but I am not sure how much of that was just because he has now been at Bowie for a long time. He's 27 now, so it's probably time they either let him prove it in big league camp at Spring training.

I also do not think he sticks behind the plate in the long run. He's a good gamecaller, but footwork and arm are just average at best. He's been playing a ton of 1B and LF recently.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » October 24th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Always happy for these tidbits, but I've never really known what to make of these leagues. I've never taken note of this player or that really coming on following them. Not putting it down but I've always wondered if there was a real point to them.

As for Joseph, he's right there has been little buzz surrounding him for a couple years now.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #5 by Tucker Blair » October 24th, 2013, 9:16 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Always happy for these tidbits, but I've never really known what to make of these leagues. I've never taken note of this player or that really coming on following them. Not putting it down but I've always wondered if there was a real point to them.

As for Joseph, he's right there has been little buzz surrounding him for a couple years now.

Honestly, not much to really take out of it. Most of these players are there to work on individual things or mechanical issues or make up time they lost due to injury. The stats are fun to look at but really tell us nothing (usually, unless it is someone like the Pirates Gregory Polanco, who is 20 and hitting .500 with 3 HR already). The talent pool is extremely thinned out in the winter leagues.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #6 by ofahn » October 30th, 2013, 12:24 pm

mikezpen wrote:Joseph really came out of nowhere w/that 22-97 at Bowie this season and .299 BA. Has to improve splits v. RHP (I believe they were only .250s), but still opened some eyes I'm sure.

Those stats would look really good for a 23 YO, but they lose a lot of their luster when they're produced by a 27 YO. If Joseph can improve his skills behind the plate he has a chance to be a MLB back up catcher. Moving away from that position the bat might not be enough.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 30th, 2013, 12:25 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Some player updates around the Winter Leagues (Mexican, Dominican, Venezuelan):

Playing with Caribes de Anzoategui in the Venezuelan League:
T.J. McFarland 3.0 IP 2 H 0 R 0 BB 0 K
Chris Jones 3.0 IP 4 H 0 R 1 BB 1 K

Playing with Bravos de Margarita in the Venezuelan league:
Caleb Joseph .313/.389/.438 (5/16)
Marcel Prado 1.2 IP 5 H 1 R 0 BB 2 K

Playing with Mayos de Navojoa in the Mexican League:
Eddie Gamboa 6.0 IP 3 H 2 R 2 BB 4 K

Playing with Algodoneros de Guasave in the Mexican League:
Zelous Wheeler .276/.343/.621 (8-29) with 3 HR

Something to note: SS Garabez Rosa is listed as an OF and played CF for Gigantes del Cibao in the Dominican Winter League.

I could see McFarland and Jones spending some time on the 25 Man Roster with Joseph having an outside shot. IMO the other are organizational players.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by j.q. higgins » November 9th, 2013, 12:09 pm

anybody keeping eyes on current minor league FAs in the winter leagues?
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #9 by Tucker Blair » November 9th, 2013, 5:05 pm

j.q. higgins wrote:anybody keeping eyes on current minor league FAs in the winter leagues?

Do you mean other teams' FA? If so, I have to be honest that I haven't been paying too much attention.

The O's guys though, I have.

Wheeler is obliterating the ball actually. .295/400/.525 line with 6 HR already.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #10 by ofahn » November 13th, 2013, 10:53 am

TuckerBlair89 wrote:Wheeler is obliterating the ball actually. .295/400/.525 line with 6 HR already.

At this point you have to believe his UPSIDE is as a ML utility guy and that's IF he can learn to play a better 2B.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #11 by j.q. higgins » November 13th, 2013, 7:05 pm

seems like a guy that would be worth keeping around, though, w/ good OBP from both sides and a little pop.

maybe burgamy or danny dorn are guys worth offering minor league contracts to? jerry owens? i mean, pridie's still on the 40 man.
j.q. higgins
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

PostPost #12 by Tucker Blair » November 13th, 2013, 7:18 pm

Dorn is intriguing. Typical "hole in swing, legit power" type of bat. Maddening player but could suddenly surprise or figure it out one year.

I'm guessing Pridie is on the 40-man as a last resort. If they can't find a better backup CF option by the start of the 2014 season, he stays.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #13 by Tucker Blair » December 16th, 2013, 10:19 am

Some Winter League Updates:

- LHP T.J. McFarland has pitched 39.1 innings with a 2.97 ERA, 39 H, 15 R, 13 ER, 10 BB, 16 K for Caribes de Anzoategui in the Venezuelan Winter Lg
- LHP Chris Jones has pitched 9.0 innings (15 games) with a 5.00 ERA, 17 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 5 K for Caribes de Anzoategui in the Venezuelan Winter Lg
- RHP Edgmer Escalona has pitched 46.1 innings with a 2.53 ERA, 41 H, 14 R, 13 ER, 17 BB. 33 K for Tiburones de La Guaira in Venezuelan Winter Lg
- C Johnny Monell is 23/87 (.254/.350/.425) with 3 HR, 11 BB, 31 K for Criollos de Caguas in the Roberto Clemente Winter Lg
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #14 by ofahn » December 17th, 2013, 3:03 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:- LHP Chris Jones has pitched 9.0 innings (15 games) with a 5.00 ERA, 17 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 5 K for Caribes de Anzoategui in the Venezuelan Winter Lg

Unfortunately for him his WHIP problems are international. Que Lastima!
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues