Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2 Free agents I'd love us to sign

2 Free agents I'd love us to sign

PostPost #1 by docjj » October 10th, 2013, 9:10 am

1. OF Shin Soo Choo. I know. It won't happen. Bore-A$$ is his representative. But he's exactly what we need- A top of the order, table setter, on-base machine. He can play all 3 outfield spots and has some pop in the bat. He can steal the occasional base. It will never happen, but it would be awfully nice. I'd rather have him than McLouth and Markakis. His 112 walks last season would be awesome to have.

2. P Masahiro Tanaka- This won't happen either. His posting fee will be ridiculous and the Rangers, Red Sox, Yankees, Seattle, LAA, LA Dodgers will all be drooling over themselves. But the O's sure could use a TOR starter. Tillman, Chen, Tanaka, and you're on to something good. If Bundy can recover from injury or Gausman can develop a 3rd pitch, you'd really have something.
docjj
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 3

Re: 2 Free agents I'd love us to sign

PostPost #2 by mikezpen » October 10th, 2013, 9:15 am

I'd love them to get Choo, but like you said...
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » October 10th, 2013, 9:29 am

Hard to disagree with anything you said.

Choo is basically what every team needs. He's definitely getting a hefty contract.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 43

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 4:09 pm

docjj wrote:OF Shin Soo Choo. I know. It won't happen. Bore-A$$ is his representative. But he's exactly what we need- A top of the order, table setter, on-base machine. He can play all 3 outfield spots and has some pop in the bat. He can steal the occasional base. It will never happen, but it would be awfully nice. I'd rather have him than McLouth and Markakis. His 112 walks last season would be awesome to have.

IF he wouldn't cost a draft pick AND IF he was willing to sign for two years guaranteed with a vesting option beyond that he would be a good sign, but IMO anything beyond that and you're buying bad contract years.

PASS.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #5 by Rising O's » October 10th, 2013, 4:24 pm

I'd pass because his splits have a huge disparity. He's a platoon player that will want starters money.
Rising O's
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #6 by dan72 » October 10th, 2013, 6:40 pm

Jose Abreu and Ubaldo Jimenez. They are not top shelf free agents like Cano, they are mid level guys. Both have signability. Jimenez will turn 30 in January, so he probably has 2-3 good years left. When he is on, he is dominating and just plain filthy. Abreu has been rumored to be a target for the Orioles, however I think it would take a Cespedes type contract to get him. Huge upsdie with Abreu.....

Choo is awesome but way out of the Orioles stratusphere.......Rather spend the money on pitching any ways.
***I also like Hunter Pence but he to will be to expensive.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 8:17 pm

dan72 wrote:I also like Hunter Pence but he to will be to expensive.

FYI - He resigned with the Giants.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/09/g ... pence.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 8:18 pm

dan72 wrote:Ubaldo Jimenez

I would only consider him IF he doesn't cost us a draft pick.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » October 10th, 2013, 9:03 pm

What ever we do a stater that can provide innings should be #1. It doesnt have to be and All Star #1. Just a guy that can get by the 6th often. As bad as it was this year, it could be worse next yr. You cant ask for more from Tilman. Chen and Norris dont have the 3rd pitch to do it. Gonzo, maybe. Gausman will be great at times but is too much of a K pitcher which requires too many pitches and your not going to ask your prize guy to go from 130 innings to 200+. We need an innings guy. Low 4 era, 210 innings or so. Dickey type. This takes the pressure off the rest. Thats the FA or trade we need.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » October 11th, 2013, 12:57 pm

My feelings wouldn't be hurt to sign Michael Young to an incentive laden one year deal with a club option for a 2nd year. The guy can still hit and even though his defense is not what it used to be he can play multiple positions in the infield.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #11 by ofahn » October 11th, 2013, 1:43 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:My feelings wouldn't be hurt to sign Michael Young to an incentive laden one year deal with a club option for a 2nd year. The guy can still hit and even though his defense is not what it used to be he can play multiple positions in the infield.

I like him as a fall back position, but I would prefer to add players with a solid glove and strong OBA skills.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » October 12th, 2013, 12:22 am

LA Detective wrote:What ever we do a stater that can provide innings should be #1. It doesnt have to be and All Star #1. Just a guy that can get by the 6th often. As bad as it was this year, it could be worse next yr. You cant ask for more from Tilman. Chen and Norris dont have the 3rd pitch to do it. Gonzo, maybe. Gausman will be great at times but is too much of a K pitcher which requires too many pitches and your not going to ask your prize guy to go from 130 innings to 200+. We need an innings guy. Low 4 era, 210 innings or so. Dickey type. This takes the pressure off the rest. Thats the FA or trade we need.

Honestly I do not think Chen and Gonzalez have the durability to be true #3 types. I consider them both quality #4 types. Tillman to his credit is a solid #2 in a tough division or an outstanding #3 anywhere. As always though I agree with the posts in this thread. Innings eaters are what you build with and upon. My guess is we won't get that again this offseason. We will be looking at players that are signable with upside and constantly shuffling the rotation. Our best option is likely offering a little too much to Feldman and trying to retain him for 2-3 years. I really have to wonder what it would take to keep him. I suspect he would take less to go elsewhere.

As for LF, 2B and DH I honestly do not know if we are going to see some wizardry or polished turds. I would favor players in need of a change of scenery like Chris Davis enjoyed in Baltimore. Usually because risk (as always) is involved the asking price and money is reasonable. They payoff is either luke warm or handsome. I just do not want premium players lost in the future because of salary constraints on stop gap solutions.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 32

PostPost #13 by osforlife » October 12th, 2013, 4:34 pm

I'd like to say that Shin Soo Choo is a very, very, very good corner outfielder. He hits for average, gets on base, hits for power, gets on base, steals bases, gets on base, has the capability of playing decent corner outfield defense, and gets on base. Did I mention he gets on base? Excluding 2005 & 2007, which are very small sample sizes, the lowest OBP;s Choo has had are .344, .360, .373. That's truly amazing. Although he doesn't hit LHP well, he still gets on base against them; lifetime .340 OBP against LHP. He's a great player, who will receive a contract similar to the contract Hunter Pence received, who will not be coming to Baltimore. David Murphy would be my target for left field.

Jose Abreu is very intriguing as a international signee, if Baltimore were to trade Chris Davis. Tanaka will most likely get a ridiclous contract from a high payroll team.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

Return to Baltimore Orioles