Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » October 10th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Manny Machado has elected to have reconstructive surgery on the MPFL of his left knee. Dodgers orthopedic surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache will perform the surgery Monday at the Kerlan-Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles. Doctors estimate a 4-6 month rehabilitation.


Could lead him right up to opening day. Hopefully it is closer to 4 months than 6
User avatar
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor
 
Posts: 1602
Joined: October 2011
Location: Elkridge, MD
Reputation Score: 45

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #2 by thezeroes » October 10th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Does this news push the Orioles to resign Brian Roberts?
Does this news push an extension for JJ Hardy?
Does Flaherty/Valencia share third base duties if Manny is unable to go?
Does Schoop get pushed before he is ready for the show?
Do the Orioles look for a Trade/Free Agent as an insurance policy?

So many questions at a position we thought was filled for the near future.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 255
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 38

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #3 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 8:29 pm

By Jeff Todd [October 10, 2013 at 7:47pm CST]

For a Baltimore club that is hoping to make another run at the post-season next year, Machado's surgery will undoubtedly put a damper on expectations. More importantly for our purposes, it almost certainly eliminates the already-scant possibility that the club would entertain a trade of J.J. Hardy and move Machado to short over the coming off-season. Though Machado's long-term prospects as a middle-infielder remain unclear, the surgery could also make the club somewhat more inclined to explore an extension for Hardy, who will be eligible for free agency after 2014.


MLB Trade Rumors' Jeff Todd speculates that Machado's injury will give the Orioles a reason to NOT trade Hardy. I disagree. I still see a trade to the Cardinals for David Freese and another piece. If that trade doesn't happen then I could see the team trying to extend Hardy although I think any deal should be limited to two years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/m ... onths.html
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #4 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 8:33 pm

thezeroes wrote:Does this news push the Orioles to resign Brian Roberts?

I always thought we would.

thezeroes wrote:Does Schoop get pushed before he is ready for the show?

I think the team will be conservative with his development, particularly if we re-sign Roberts.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #5 by thezeroes » October 10th, 2013, 8:35 pm

ofahn wrote:MLB Trade Rumors' Jeff Todd speculates that Machado's injury will give the Orioles a reason to NOT trade Hardy. I disagree. I still see a trade to the Cardinals for David Freese and another piece. If that trade doesn't happen then I could see the team trying to extend Hardy although I think any deal should be limited to two years.


Two years added to his current deal??
Current deal pays him $7 Million, add two years at the same rate and I would add an option year that is team friendly ($4 Million with Incentives) with a low cost buy out ($400,000).
thezeroes
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 255
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 38

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #6 by thezeroes » October 10th, 2013, 8:41 pm

ofahn wrote:I think the team will be conservative with his development, particularly if we re-sign Roberts.


I would hope that they are at the 1000% sure of his health before he gets added to the Parent club. This back issue gives me a little pause for concern that he is pushing a little harder than his body has developed to endure. Roberts does not OWE the Orioles a discount because that is not how the system works but I would like to see him resigned to a team friendly ($3.5Million w/incentives) deal.
thezeroes
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 255
Joined: April 2011
Reputation Score: 38

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #7 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 8:48 pm

thezeroes wrote: Roberts does not OWE the Orioles a discount because that is not how the system works but I would like to see him resigned to a team friendly ($3.5Million w/incentives) deal.

I think he WOULD take a modest discount to play here because of his strong ties to the clubhouse. He and Markakis are particularly close and, you might remember, that at the end of the 2012 season he traveled with the team even though he couldn't play.

I have serious doubts that any other team is going to make him a multi-year offer so we're really talking about about a mil or so more he MIGHT get elsewhere. As long as we don't try to low ball him he'll be back.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #8 by LA Detective » October 10th, 2013, 8:53 pm

This is a great move. It didnt make sense for MM to go with a less than fully strong knee. Otherwise I saw an ACL coming.

I dont think it changes the Os plans. This sounds like the least of the serious knee injuries. I would bet that the Os are convinced MM will be 100% opening day.

IF that is not what the medical staff has assured then it might raise the stock of BR. I cant imagine him not trying for a 3 year deal with someone. He prob will get a 2 yr deal. I thought what he did this year was amazing but I do believe Ryan F is the better option going forward and Schoop when he improves his plate discipline.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 293
Joined: July 2011
Reputation Score: 14

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #9 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 9:09 pm

LA Detective wrote: I cant imagine him not trying for a 3 year deal with someone. He prob will get a 2 yr deal.

If Brian Roberts can get at least a two year deal anywhere then some owner has lost his mind.
User avatar
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds
 
Posts: 4411
Joined: May 2011
Reputation Score: 85

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #10 by Seafordeagles » October 10th, 2013, 9:19 pm

Some owners lose their mind every year...................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 696
Joined: October 2012
Reputation Score: 18

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #11 by mikezpen » October 11th, 2013, 12:17 am

I'm glad Machado opted to get this out of the way and didn't piddledick around with halfway measures till January.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 256
Joined: June 2012
Reputation Score: 11

Re: Machado Having Surgery: Rehab is 4-6 Months

PostPost #12 by Old Sneakers » October 12th, 2013, 12:26 am

thezeroes wrote:Does this news push the Orioles to resign Brian Roberts?
Does this news push an extension for JJ Hardy?
Does Flaherty/Valencia share third base duties if Manny is unable to go?
Does Schoop get pushed before he is ready for the show?
Do the Orioles look for a Trade/Free Agent as an insurance policy?

So many questions at a position we thought was filled for the near future.


Roberts is likely resigned because of a weak free agent market and weak farm system.

Hardy should absolutely be resigned. However, is he open to sliding over to 3B in two years?

As for Schoop, I know he's enough power to be tantalizing for some at 2B. But the team needs a guy that gets on base at every position. We need to attack opposing starting pitchers in an attempt to run up pitch counts. Not siting with our fingers crossed for a 2 or 3 run home run.
User avatar
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles
 
Posts: 792
Joined: March 2011
Reputation Score: 33



Return to Baltimore Orioles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

cron