Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Kevin Gausman and the Importance of a Third Pitch

Kevin Gausman and the Importance of a Third Pitch

PostPost #1 by Tucker Blair » October 7th, 2013, 8:04 am

http://orioles-nation.com/2013/10/08/ke ... ird-pitch/
My first piece back at ON. Hope you guys enjoy
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Re: Kevin Gausman and the Importance of a Third Pitch

PostPost #2 by Old Sneakers » October 8th, 2013, 4:04 am

"Internal Server Error"

Link is busted. I am looking forward to reading your article when you get it fixed.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #3 by Tucker Blair » October 8th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:
Link is busted. I am looking forward to reading your article when you get it fixed.

Thanks for letting me know.
Jordan and I switched hosting servers today and it apparently had some negative consequences. Will fix site tonight.
Apologies
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #4 by Tucker Blair » October 8th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Link fixed.
Apologies for that
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #5 by mikezpen » October 10th, 2013, 8:55 am

Good observations. But Gausman isn't going to properly learn that third pitch in the majors as a starter and/or reliever. He's another guy who needs a year at Norfolk to work on that third pitch and also to refine location of his FB and change-up.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #6 by Tucker Blair » October 10th, 2013, 9:01 am

mikezpen wrote:Good observations. But Gausman isn't going to properly learn that third pitch in the majors as a starter and/or reliever. He's another guy who needs a year at Norfolk to work on that third pitch and also to refine location of his FB and change-up.

That certainly could be the case. I am hoping the Orioles do not put Gausman in the rotation just because there is no one else, rather that he has pushed himself into the rotation. I think he can refine his pitches at the MLB level, but how long that will take makes it a tough task. I think it makes a lot of sense to start him in the Norfolk rotation in 2014.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

PostPost #7 by osforlife » October 10th, 2013, 4:20 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
That certainly could be the case. I am hoping the Orioles do not put Gausman in the rotation just because there is no one else, rather that he has pushed himself into the rotation. I think he can refine his pitches at the MLB level, but how long that will take makes it a tough task. I think it makes a lot of sense to start him in the Norfolk rotation in 2014.

I'd love for the Orioles to do this with every starting pitcher. Make them PROPERLY EARN their spot on the next level, not PROPERLY BE ABLE TO REPLACE a player on the next level.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #8 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 4:40 pm

osforlife wrote:I'd love for the Orioles to do this with every starting pitcher. Make them PROPERLY EARN their spot on the next level, not PROPERLY BE ABLE TO REPLACE a player on the next level.

I posted after the Norris trade that I thought the best long term benefit of that ill advised transaction is that it would send Gausman back to AAA where he would understand that he was no longer just waiting for the phone call that return him to Baltimore and should listen to the coaching staff to become a legit ML pitcher. I said then that I thought we would see a major improvement and we have.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #9 by LA Detective » October 10th, 2013, 9:13 pm

I think Gausman will be fine. He showed great improvement thru the year. I hope he is watching Verlander tonight and the amount of changeups to the LHH. It will get batters off balance. He certainly has the stuff. He will become a #1 horse the day he learns to get batters to HIT his pitch. Early count jams or 2 seamer ground balls will keep his pitch count low enough for him to get into the 7th often.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

Return to Baltimore Orioles