Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Mike Morse an Oriole

Re: Mike Morse an Oriole

PostPost #31 by osforlife » September 20th, 2013, 7:17 pm

I'd like to say in retrospective, I'm not sure why DD made the trade for Mike Morse. He's not playing everyday, he wasn't hitting when Baltimore acquired him, there were plenty of capable DH candidates by the time he was in an Orioles uniform. He's been terrible, and making a trade on the assumption that the player will break out of his slump is quite ridiculous. Mark Reynolds, Mark Reynolds, Mark Reynolds, Mark Reynolds :x I'm pretty sure signing a hitter on the assumption he'll break out of his slump is much smarter than trading for a player on that assumption.

I'm also not sure how the Rays can recieve David Dejesus for Matt Spann, while Baltimore is forced to give away Xavier Avery for Mike Morse.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #32 by mikezpen » October 10th, 2013, 9:17 am

Morse had three good years before going south this season, and I'd like them to sign him..I think you could get him on a one year or one and one, fairly cheap.

He's also played in 130 games at first, interestingly.If they should move Davis, they mite have someone to fill in.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

PostPost #33 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 4:13 pm

mikezpen wrote:I'd like them to sign him

He wouldn't be my FIRST choice, but as a fall back plan..................
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #34 by osforlife » October 13th, 2013, 12:59 pm

It honestly makes sense for the Orioles to pursue Mike Morse. From 2010-2012, The Beast slashed .296/.345/.516. He has too much talent to not bounce back after a .651 OPS 2013 season. The Orioles need a DH next year. Who would be a better bargain than Morse? Valencia and Pearce are effective complementary pieces, but are not everyday players/hitters. I'd suggest to go after him.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 58

PostPost #35 by LA Detective » October 13th, 2013, 5:03 pm

If we did sign him it would only work with a full commitment to him. He will be streaky and needs the confidence of staying in the line up. Cant argue against the stats and we have a well suited park for him. If the Scouts believe that his failures were all due to injuries and believe those mentioned stats are the true Morse, then I am for it. I am not sold on that though at this point. Didnt see him enough in his good years.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #36 by mikezpen » October 24th, 2013, 2:38 am

Guy put together 3 pretty decent yr. till this season, hitting LH and RH pitchers equally well. Played only part-time though-don't know if it is injury-proneness or not.Had bone spur wrist surgery this week I believe. That may have contributed to his bad yr.S/b fine by Spring Training.

I'd like to get him back. McLouth simply doesn't hit enough. Twelve HR, 36 RBI in 140-some games.258 BA and .329 OBA doesn't cut it.I'd give Morse a 1 yr.incentive-laden contract or maybe a one-and-one. After his poor season in 2013, he mite take it. Teams probably won't be knocking down the doors for him.

But check that injury history before committing.
mikezpen
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles