Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Trade Chris Davis

Trade Chris Davis

PostPost #1 by mikezpen » October 3rd, 2013, 3:23 pm

Let me say right off the bat that I don't want them to trade him. I hate the idea.But in reality, they don't have a choice.W/Boras as his agent, this guy will command $23-25 million a year and maybe in the upper 20's in the latter years of his contract.Boras w/demand a 7 or 8-year deal for $200 million or more.Angelos won't pay it. Don't forget that we also have Weiters who is another Boras client.Boras has been saying that upcoming Cincinnatti FA Shin Soo Choo will command OVER $100 million if that gives you any idea.

Davis has had a monster year and has 2 more years before he can go FA. His value is at its peak right now, and you could demand a lot.You wait for another year and that drops drastically.

They have to make this move.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

Re: Trade Chris Davis

PostPost #2 by osforlife » October 3rd, 2013, 3:56 pm

I completely agree.
-Our farm system is crap.
-Apparently our financial position isn't the best.
-His pay raise is going to be HUGE.
-His value is at an all-time high.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by ofahn » October 5th, 2013, 10:50 am

I suggested this during the season although I would prefer to keep him.

I just don't see how we're going to re-stock the farm system without making that kind of trade. The Pirates would probably pay a fortune for him. I would offer him a six year contract in the 125M range and if he turns that down then trade him.

Davis and Machado's minor injuries this season may remind both of them that a lot can happen before they become FAs. Scot Boras can fill their heads with visions of 300M, but that's just a fantasy until they're actually a "free" agent AND an injury can end those dreams at any moment AND I have a feeling that after the disastrous Pujols and Hamilton signings that Robinson Cano is going to find that 140M from the Yankees is about as good as he's going to get.

Maybe Wieters will also understand that 90M as a sure thing is better than gambling on 150M in two years. as a C ANY serious injury destroys his market value.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #4 by dan72 » October 6th, 2013, 10:21 am

I have to agree as well. Davis is unlikely to replicate his 2013 numbers. I think going forward he will be somewhere between his '12 and '13 stats which is still all star caliber. Trade him while you can get a major hull. Pittsburgh needs a 1B and they are stocked with pitching. No reason you cant get a ml ready starter plus a couple high end prospects.

Wieters ability to Not hit well keeps him as a possibility to resign. However if we can't resign him I would hope that 1 of the 20 catchers in our system could be a serviceable replacement.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #5 by osforlife » October 6th, 2013, 12:56 pm

Let Wieters reach free agency. He's not as good as the money he is going to get. Also, our catching depth in the minors is actually quite good.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Old Sneakers » October 8th, 2013, 4:10 am

Weiters is going to be the "What could have been" player of this decade. He's a fine catcher but he's not a fine catcher and Mauer with power. We will miss him but it's just not worth the money.

With Davis, he's given us two fine years. Keeping him seems unrealistic. Trade him and rebuild the farm system. We've already proven we are not contenders. Why waste five more years before we do things properly and build a team meant to win.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #7 by dan72 » October 8th, 2013, 8:48 pm

While we are on the topic of trading players, Hardy is in the last year of his deal and with his defense and power should bring a decent return as well. I know we will miss his defense, but his replacement should make better contact and hopefully bring a better OBP. While Schoop or Manny could replace him, I would prefer to see Manny left at third and Schoop at 2b.
I guess the defensive alignment will depend on what we get back in trade and how DD and Buck would want to play the team.
Gotta strike while the iron is hot and Hardy should have good trade value.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #8 by mikezpen » October 10th, 2013, 7:54 am

For some reason, I'm less inclined to trade Hardy.I don't think we'd get a SS who could hit like him and certainly not one w/his glove. The position could turn into a black hole. In-house we have Schoop and Machado as possible replacements.

I don't think Schoop is ready for the Majors yet.His hitting and OBP weren't that great in the minors and to boot, he missed half the year w/a back problem (which I hope they're looking at, BTW). He needs another full season down there. And why move Manny off of third??? He'll probably win the Gold Glove there-or at least he should. And was he really that great of a shortstop at Bowie? I don't know.

I'm really torn on the Hardy thing.If we got a real stud SS prospect in a Davis trade-well maybe then.Then we'd put Schoop at second next year (2015) if he's ready.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » October 10th, 2013, 11:21 am

mikezpen wrote:For some reason, I'm less inclined to trade Hardy.I don't think we'd get a SS who could hit like him and certainly not one w/his glove. The position could turn into a black hole. In-house we have Schoop and Machado as possible replacements.

I don't think Schoop is ready for the Majors yet.His hitting and OBP weren't that great in the minors and to boot, he missed half the year w/a back problem (which I hope they're looking at, BTW). He needs another full season down there. And why move Manny off of third??? He'll probably win the Gold Glove there-or at least he should. And was he really that great of a shortstop at Bowie? I don't know.

I'm really torn on the Hardy thing.If we got a real stud SS prospect in a Davis trade-well maybe then.Then we'd put Schoop at second next year (2015) if he's ready.

Cal was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and really likes Manny as a shortstop. I don't think shortstop would be a black hole with Manny there. Now 3rd base would become a black hole without Manny there.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #10 by Tucker Blair » October 10th, 2013, 11:24 am

Seafordeagles wrote:
Cal was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and really likes Manny as a shortstop. I don't think shortstop would be a black hole with Manny there. Now 3rd base would become a black hole without Manny there.

Third Base is probably the thinnest spot within the Orioles entire system IMO. There really is no one that has proven they can play or stick there outside of maybe Jonathan Schoop.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #11 by osforlife » October 10th, 2013, 4:28 pm

TuckerBlair89 wrote:
Third Base is probably the thinnest spot within the Orioles entire system IMO. There really is no one that has proven they can play or stick there outside of maybe Jonathan Schoop.

It probably doesn't matter much, but Zelous Wheeler has had two very fine years in the Orioles system. I'm not sure how his glove is at third, but the kid can hit. He's not an MLB regular, but he gets on-base and is pretty versatile. The hot corner third base free agent list is crap. Unless Baltimore gets a major league ready third base prospect, Machado is going to have to stay at third; even though we'd maximize his positional value at short.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » October 10th, 2013, 4:36 pm

osforlife wrote:It probably doesn't matter much, but Zelous Wheeler has had two very fine years in the Orioles system. I'm not sure how his glove is at third, but the kid can hit. He's not an MLB regular, but he gets on-base and is pretty versatile. The hot corner third base free agent list is crap. Unless Baltimore gets a major league ready third base prospect, Machado is going to have to stay at third; even though we'd maximize his positional value at short.

We have both posted how a trade of Hardy to STL for David Freese and another piece would make sense for both teams.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #13 by osforlife » October 11th, 2013, 3:58 pm

ofahn wrote:We have both posted how a trade of Hardy to STL for David Freese and another piece would make sense for both teams.

I'd make that trade. Maybe Baltimore could recieve Tim Cooney in the trade too. http://www.baseball-reference.com/minor ... oney000tim
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by mikezpen » October 24th, 2013, 2:55 am

Switching Manny to short coming off knee surgery and his having to possibly start the season late to boot?I don't know about that...
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

PostPost #15 by Tucker Blair » October 24th, 2013, 8:15 pm

osforlife wrote:It probably doesn't matter much, but Zelous Wheeler has had two very fine years in the Orioles system. I'm not sure how his glove is at third, but the kid can hit. He's not an MLB regular, but he gets on-base and is pretty versatile. The hot corner third base free agent list is crap. Unless Baltimore gets a major league ready third base prospect, Machado is going to have to stay at third; even though we'd maximize his positional value at short.

Zelous is a really good Org player and was on Milwaukee's 40 man roster at one point. I like his bat, but not sure if he is more than a stop-gap type. He's actually pretty athletic for his size and frame. Also, he's a really funny dude. But, not sure if he is a guy I depend on outside of pure depth.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles