Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

2013 Arizona Fall League Surprise Saguaros

2013 Arizona Fall League Surprise Saguaros

PostPost #1 by Rising O's » September 11th, 2013, 1:13 pm

Tim Berry
Michael Ohlman
Henry Urrutia
Dariel Alvarez
Jonathan Schoop
Eduardo Rodriguez
Branden Kline
Jason Gurka

Schoop and Rodriguez are the best of the bunch.

Ohlman after a promising 2012 looks to have put it together offensively. Defensively he puts up respectable numbers.

Berry, Kline and Gurka all look like relievers.

Two older Cuban prospects. Scouts are generally negative on their potential ML impact.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

Re: 2013 Arizona Fall League Surprise Saguaros

PostPost #2 by osforlife » September 11th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Just a little while ago, Baltimore was probably worried about their catching depth and/or lack of catching prospects.
From 2010 to 2013, Caleb Joseph's OPS jumped each year from .669, .692, .812, to .840.
From 2012 to 2013, Wynston Sawyer's OPS jumped from .608 to .720.
From 2012 to 2013, Brian Ward's OPS jumped from .592 to .702.
In Michael Ohlman's career, his OPS has jumped each year from .523, .595, .627, .860, and .934.
Hell, even Allan de San Miguel and Zane Chavez performed very well.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #3 by Rising O's » September 11th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Ohlman's drug problems behind him could be the cause for his improvement. He will need to be protected for the rule 5.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #4 by Old Sneakers » September 12th, 2013, 7:52 am

Rising O's wrote:
Berry, Kline and Gurka all look like relievers.

I wouldn't be so quick to toss Berry into the reliever pile just yet. He can get bigger with more time and did just enjoy a full season with solid results. I won't suggest to you he will lead a rotation but the need for starting pitching is so high and he is both young and left handed.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #5 by osforlife » September 13th, 2013, 6:21 pm

I wouldn't give up on Tim Berry as a starter. But I think there is a good chance he's Troy Patton 2.0
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #6 by ofahn » September 16th, 2013, 6:19 pm

osforlife wrote:I wouldn't give up on Tim Berry as a starter. But I think there is a good chance he's Troy Patton 2.0

That decision should probably be made after he's pitched about 100 innings or so at AA. If he's able to get through a batting order at least three times effectively and consistently then he's a SP. If not, the BP.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #7 by ofahn » September 16th, 2013, 6:24 pm

Rising O's wrote:Berry, Kline and Gurka all look like relievers.

I don't think we've seen enough of Kline to make that kind of judgment yet. He was a 2012 draftee and was injured for most of this year. Let's see about 200 innings and then make a decision.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #8 by ofahn » September 16th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Rising O's wrote:Ohlman's drug problems behind him could be the cause for his improvement

Ohlman was suspended for marijuana. It's not a drug of addiction and shouldn't involve a suspension any more than a beer.

I really think that the experience of the accident and the suspension forced him to evaluate whether he wanted to be a professional baseball player and he decided to get serious. You have to like the results.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #9 by Rising O's » September 21st, 2013, 7:47 pm

MJ is still a drug no matter how relatively harmless (to you) if might be. You spend your time using rather than doing constructive activities. Whatever the cause his improved play has come at the right time as the Orioles have to decide what to do with Matt Wieters.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #10 by Old Sneakers » October 22nd, 2013, 2:54 pm

Rising O's wrote:MJ is still a drug no matter how relatively harmless (to you) if might be. You spend your time using rather than doing constructive activities. Whatever the cause his improved play has come at the right time as the Orioles have to decide what to do with Matt Wieters.

I am not a big fan of Pot either. I am 41 years old. Tried it a few times as a teen and haven't touched it in over 20 years. That said it's use is so common now I do not think it should be considered a "Controlled Dangerous Substance" Misdemeanor yes for the common user caught in possession of it in small amounts. Dealers, trafficers etc... should bear the consequence of felony charges. That is my thought on that issue.

As for Ohlman, he got caught and faced repercussions. I consider the matter over so long as he doesn't test positive or found to be in possession again. In another thread sometime back someone said "I wouldn't want to be judged for past mistakes I've made" and I agree with that. We've all made our share.

Hopefully Ohlman is for real and those doubters learn to forgive. Not calling you out RisingO's just stating my own feelings to perhaps ease the stern hand of prejudice in the future.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #11 by Tucker Blair » October 22nd, 2013, 5:44 pm

Some things in life wake people up. I think Old Sneakers summed it up perfectly to be honest.

For Ohlman, I believe this was a case that opened his eyes, along with his terrible car crash. From everyone within the industry and within the O's system I have talked to, he's been one of the hardest working individuals in the minors since. I think that is the most important thing to credit. He has always been tagged with the raw skills to play at the higher levels, but it took a few things to make the light go on. Sometimes that is all a player needs. He still has plenty of work to do behind the dish (footwork and framing especially) but the progression in the past 2 years has truly been impressive and fun to watch. One of my favorites in the system right now. Hopefully he can do this at Bowie in 2014.
Tucker Blair
Orioles Nation Staff
Executive Editor

Reputation Score: 45

PostPost #12 by mikezpen » October 25th, 2013, 9:35 am

Hopefully he can do this at Bowie in 2014.

W/Wieters headed toward free agency, Ohlman becomes pretty intriguing if he can.
mikezpen
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 11

Return to Minor Leagues