Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Mike Morse an Oriole

Mike Morse an Oriole

PostPost #1 by ljmillar22 » August 30th, 2013, 1:04 pm

The orioles have acquired Mike Morse from the Seattle Mariners in Exchange for Xavier Avery.
Good trade if morse can recreate his early year form, and avery in my opinion is nothing more than a 4th outfielder with speed.
ljmillar22
DSL Orioles

Reputation Score: 0

Re: Mike Morse an Oriole

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 30th, 2013, 2:37 pm

ljmillar22 wrote:Good trade if morse can recreate his early year form

Fair enough IF he can do that, but I see this as adding another free swinging RH. I just don't see him as a solution.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #3 by osforlife » August 30th, 2013, 3:36 pm

I think from practically every perspective, it's a pretty illogical trade. Baltimore is basically trading one month of Mike Morse for five years of whatever Xavier Avery. Even if all Avery develops into is a 4th outfielder, there still is a good chance he produces more value on the Mariners than Morse does on the Orioles. Xavier has tons of athleticism, but speed doesn't keep in one in the majors, or even put one there. I see him as a left-handed Rajai Davis.

I think it is a little rough to give up a player as talented as Avery for one month of a slow DH who is hitting .226/.283/.410. But, baseball is full of streaks. I tough hitting stretch is usually followed by a torrid zone. Morse can be a very good hitter and I wouldn't doubt he catches fire for the rest of the year. My prediction is Morse, Hammel, Markakis, and Wieters go on streaks and take us the playoffs :D

My question is, why DD could have given up nothing two weeks ago for Reynolds, and instead gave up Avery for one month of Morse is beyond me. Duquette made the impression that there wasn't a spot for Reynolds with Valencia in the fold, yet there is a spot for Morse with Betemit and Valencia in the fold?

That being said, there's no question DD has put everything he can into the 2013 Orioles. Whether that strategy turns out to be provide a positive or negative outcome, has yet to be determined. It really becomes all worth it for a playoff appearance. But, if not, he's partially screwed the Orioles' farm system with Hoes, Delmonico, and Avery gone. There will be many holes that need filling over the next few years, with nobody internally to replace them. But, playoff chances can do scary things to people/teams, and there is still hope.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 59

PostPost #4 by Seafordeagles » August 30th, 2013, 4:29 pm

osforlife wrote:My question is, why DD could have given up nothing two weeks ago for Reynolds, and instead gave up Avery for one month of Morse is beyond me. Duquette made the impression that there wasn't a spot for Reynolds with Valencia in the fold, yet there is a spot for Morse with Betemit and Valencia in the fold?

Correct if i'm wrong but wasn't New York lower in the standings, meaning they had the option of signing him before the Orioles due to their record at the time? I probably am wrong and maybe that has to do with a waiver claim.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #5 by osforlife » August 30th, 2013, 5:01 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
Correct if i'm wrong but wasn't New York lower in the standings, meaning they had the option of signing him before the Orioles due to their record at the time? I probably am wrong and maybe that has to do with a waiver claim.

I thought he was put on release waivers or something like that, and he could sign with whoever he wanted to? Maybe I'm wrong.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #6 by Seafordeagles » August 30th, 2013, 5:36 pm

osforlife wrote:I thought he was put on release waivers or something like that, and he could sign with whoever he wanted to? Maybe I'm wrong.

I could be the wrong one. It's all moot and hopefully Morse can hit some meaningful dingers in Camden Yards.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #7 by Old Sneakers » August 30th, 2013, 5:55 pm

I do not think we helped or hurt ourselves here.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » August 31st, 2013, 8:10 pm

Morse is not good enough to be trading prospects for. Plus its too late, we needed to add a RHH a month ago.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by Seafordeagles » September 1st, 2013, 4:01 pm

Nice debut for Morse with 2 hits.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

PostPost #10 by dan72 » September 2nd, 2013, 10:04 pm

I think the club is going to push hard to sign Morse in the off season. His offensive potential helps to offset our pitching issues. I would not be suprised to see Avery get some big league playing time in the years to come. I really liked the speed he brought to the table, thats something our team has lacked for a long time.
dan72
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 5

PostPost #11 by ofahn » September 2nd, 2013, 11:01 pm

dan72 wrote:I think the club is going to push hard to sign Morse in the off season.

I hope not. We already have too many just like him on the roster.

We can't replace Wieters internally and they're almost certainly not going to trade Jones so we should probably consider trading Hardy, moving Machado to SS, and look to acquire a 3B with a better OPS. Hardy's HRs don't make up for his substandard OPS and unproductive outs.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #12 by ofahn » September 3rd, 2013, 12:32 pm

Seafordeagles wrote:
I could be the wrong one. It's all moot and hopefully Morse can hit some meaningful dingers in Camden Yards.

It's irrelevant now, but I'm posting this to clear up the issue.

Indians To Release Mark Reynolds
By Steve Adams [August 12, 2013 at 1:22pm CST]
MONDAY: The Indians have requested release waivers on Reynolds for the purpose of granting him his unconditional release, according to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer (Twitter link). Once Reynolds clears waivers, he will be eligible to sign with any team, and his new club will be responsible for only the pro-rated portion of the league minimum.

THURSDAY: The Indians have designated Mark Reynolds for assignment, according to MLB.com's Brittany Ghiroli (on Twitter). Right-hander Preston Guilmet, who had a 1.95 ERA with 10.4 K/9 and 2.1 BB/9 in 55 1/3 innings at Triple-A Columbus, will be recalled to take his roster spot.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/08/i ... nment.html

I would have signed him to a minor league deal and allowed him to show that he could still be productive, but the Yankees could offer him a spot on the ML roster, so that was that.

We released him last year and he was motivated to prove us wrong in Cleveland. He made some adjustments and it showed with a strong start. Then he fell back into bad habits and that resulted in his release. Now, he's starting this same cycle all over again with the Yankees.

I understand that this concept is NOT in compliance with the MLB CBA, but I would love to offer him a DH role on a contract where his incentive clause would be increased on the number of opposite field hits and decreased on his number of Ks. The HRs are irrelevant because his record is very clear - when he's willing to take an outside pitch to the opposite field he becomes a dominant hitter and the extra base hits just JUMP off of his bat. If he could make the same adjustments that Chris Davis did he could still be an impact hitter.

The reality is that he's set in his ways and would not be worth the roster spot for an entire season.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #13 by osforlife » September 3rd, 2013, 5:45 pm

I was thinking the O's were leaning towards attempting to re-sign Morse as a DH this winter. He's terrible in the field, but strictly offensively speaking, the dude is a threat. Obviously, he needs to stay healthy, but he can rake when he's on the active roster. He has a career .285/.338/.479 batting line and a .294/.343/.514 batting line with Washington from 2009-2012. Yeah, he strikes out, but if one is hitting, nobody cares how many times one strikes out. Chris Davis has struck out 164 times in 135 games. I haven't heard one complaint about him. If Mike Morse hits like he did in Washington, nobody will complain about him. An out is an out. A strikeout is just as bad with runners in scoring position than a pop-up or a hard ground-out. God knows he'd be a better option at DH than Roberts.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #14 by ofahn » September 3rd, 2013, 7:07 pm

osforlife wrote:An out is an out. A strikeout is just as bad with runners in scoring position than a pop-up or a hard ground-out.

We disagree about that. A productive out can sometimes make the difference in the game because it can contribute to scoring a run. A strikeout almost never can.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #15 by osforlife » September 6th, 2013, 5:50 pm

ofahn wrote:We disagree about that. A productive out can sometimes make the difference in the game because it can contribute to scoring a run. A strikeout almost never can.

There's an unwritten rule in baseball that when a runner is on third base with less than two outs, the hitter must get the RBI, or he is considered an incomplete hitter, free swinger, and/or not a team player. These are the runs a team is supposed to score, and are greatly noticed when this event is not accomplished.

Obviously, Baltimore does not bunt regularly. It's actually debatable whether or not a bunt is a productive accomplishment early in the game. I think it's valuable when playing for a tie or win, but early in the game, a team might as well play for the big inning. So they don't bunt, but that being said, you say they don't manufacture runs well. But, they are actually 4th in runs, 3rd in OPS, 26th in strikeouts, 12th in sac flies, and 3rd in OPS with RISP.

A strikeout cannot hit a runner in, yes, but many contact outs don't hit the runner in either. I'd rather have a good hitter who strikes out(Mike Morse), than a bad hitter(Brian Roberts) who supposedly knows how to hit behind the runner, and it's not even in question honestly.
osforlife
Aberdeen IronBirds

Next

Return to Baltimore Orioles