Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Should Dariel Alvarez To Finish The Season At Bowie?

Should Dariel Alvarez To Finish The Season At Bowie?

PostPost #1 by ofahn » August 24th, 2013, 12:10 pm

For an International signing that was almost universally panned outside of the organization Dariel Alvarez has been a pleasant surprise so far. While the sample size has been small at Frederick and he's playing well above the age of a top rated prospect in High A ball, he has certainly been dominant. IMO a slash line of .429/.459/.657 suggests a promotion; particularly, when you're twenty four playing in a league meant for twenty one and two year prospects.

After tonight the Bay Sox have eight games left. Promoting Alvarez now would allow him to have about thirty ABs at AA. I think it would be in all parties' interests to see if he can handle the MUCH better pitching at that level. If he can then we can honestly argue that we have a B level prospect. If the results are mixed or poor then everyone will know what he needs to work on in the Instructional League and maybe even in the AFL this fall.

Thoughts?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

Re: Should Dariel Alvarez To Finish The Season At Bowie?

PostPost #2 by ofahn » August 26th, 2013, 5:19 pm

Alvarez was promoted to Bowie today.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roc ... -ford.html
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #3 by Old Sneakers » August 26th, 2013, 5:21 pm

ofahn wrote:sample size has been small at Frederick

All you really need to know right there.

My guess is he's a borderline prospect that has a chance of getting a cup of coffee at the ML level someday and maybe not much more.
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #4 by ofahn » August 26th, 2013, 5:28 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:My guess is he's a borderline prospect that has a chance of getting a cup of coffee at the ML level someday and maybe not much more.

That may be true; but wouldn't you agree that it's better to know that SOONER rather than later and kid ourselves that we have something if we don't?
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #5 by Old Sneakers » August 27th, 2013, 1:11 am

That is what the minor league teams are for. Prove yourself and move up. If not a player can still have a fine minor league professional career. However, this team rushes talent as much as any team does. To my thinking it shows a short term commitment.

I almost posted a reply in this thread that was much different. Though with the team promoting him I saw no point and edited the post.

With international talent like Alvarez, Urritia, Chen and Wada I consider them a less expensive version of free agency. Not because I do not think there is worthwhile talent to be had. These are often older players than what is available in the Draft. I consider that age difference a huge factor. You won't find a player like a Cal Ripken Jr or Jim Palmer in this market. You build the faces of your franchise through the draft. International signings are something akin to later round draft choices. They can pan out and be meaningful, but much less so.

With a guy like Alvarez whom I have not seen play. He might become a fourth outfielder or a guy that gets ABs as Markakis ages. I just see no point in rushing a player regardless or where he came from. Earlier in the year I was doing a facepalm over Urritia being promoted to Baltimore. It didn't last long either. I would have felt much better about that if he'd gone to Norfolk and played every night instead of getting a few plate appearances in Baltimore. We will need him more than likely before he's actually ready next season. We won't likely know what Alvarez' upside is until late next year. Or if he can reach that upside.

Let's look at this differently. What if we were talking about Mike Wright. He's had a fine season. Should he be promoted to Norfolk to finish the season? I say no. Why not then? OK well he's near his innings cap for this season and still has room to improve where he is. We all know there is going to be some sort of adjustment period when he does get that promotion. That is natural. Do you want him getting batted around roughly with the season nearing it's end and his arm likely tiring? I do not. I would rather him facing a tougher level of competition with a fresher arm. I know I don't want him frustrated at season's end for a few starts trying to do things he's not ready for. I also would like to see him get through starts at AA more efficiently before he's promoted. He's done well as the season has gone on as far as that goes. I just think that showing some restraint is what is needed on the prospect promotion curve. Another thing to consider with Wright is that he may well end up being the lone player out of his draft class that isn't a complete wash. Are you willing to risk that?
Old Sneakers
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 33

PostPost #6 by ofahn » August 29th, 2013, 3:09 pm

Three games at Bowie. 12 PAs = 11 outs, 5 by K, and 1 walk. Looks like the leap to AA pitching is more than he can handle so far.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

PostPost #7 by Seafordeagles » August 29th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Old Sneakers wrote:Let's look at this differently. What if we were talking about Mike Wright. He's had a fine season. Should he be promoted to Norfolk to finish the season? I say no. Why not then? OK well he's near his innings cap for this season and still has room to improve where he is. We all know there is going to be some sort of adjustment period when he does get that promotion. That is natural. Do you want him getting batted around roughly with the season nearing it's end and his arm likely tiring? I do not. I would rather him facing a tougher level of competition with a fresher arm. I know I don't want him frustrated at season's end for a few starts trying to do things he's not ready for. I also would like to see him get through starts at AA more efficiently before he's promoted. He's done well as the season has gone on as far as that goes. I just think that showing some restraint is what is needed on the prospect promotion curve. Another thing to consider with Wright is that he may well end up being the lone player out of his draft class that isn't a complete wash. Are you willing to risk that?

Very nice piece you wrote. I actually am only replying to the last paragraph. I was told a few years ago that the best talent is actually in Double A rather then Triple A. Triple A is where journeyman usually end up. I am under the impression that AAA is really overrated. I think the "successful" AA players have the better major league careers.
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #8 by Rising O's » September 7th, 2013, 11:28 am

There was no reason to keep him at A+ as he was learning nothing at that level. He struggled at AA but he knows that he needs to work this winter to be ready for 2014 now rather than just go out there and easily put the bat on the ball.
Rising O's
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 10

PostPost #9 by ofahn » September 7th, 2013, 2:40 pm

Rising O's wrote: He struggled at AA

...but he improved over his last few games. A VERY good sign.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Return to Minor Leagues