Welcome to the Orioles Nation Forums! Like most online communities, you must register to post on our message board. However, posting is free--it always will be--and registration is a simple process. Become part of the growing Orioles Nation community and register now!

Orioles Looking For DH, Lukewarm On Morneau

Re: Orioles Looking For DH, Lukewarm On Morneau

PostPost #16 by LA Detective » August 25th, 2013, 1:04 pm

I always see the RISP stat. Has anyone seen a stat or how we rank in:
Runners on 3rd and less than 2 outs
Also runner on 2nd and no outs. This includes bases loaded.

These are the two areas of concern.

We are the best 5 inn team in the ML. From there the often talked about SP problems and taxed Pen hurt us but the above situation failures by the offense of not tacking on runs is just as much as fault. Too many times we failed to turn a 2 run lead into 4.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 14

PostPost #17 by ofahn » August 25th, 2013, 1:33 pm

LA Detective wrote:the above situation failures by the offense of not tacking on runs is just as much as fault. Too many times we failed to turn a 2 run lead into 4.

On the season we've scored a lot of runs yet we have about a .350 winning percentage in one run games. That tells me that we're running up the score in a group of games, but we're not manufacturing runs in close games.

With the slightly above average pitching staff we have we're not going to win any championships playing like that. IMO this winter should be dedicated to rebuilding the batting order from a softball team to a high OBA team with most of the hitters capable of going the other way and/or moving the runner up.
ofahn
Aberdeen IronBirds

Reputation Score: 85

PostPost #18 by LA Detective » August 25th, 2013, 2:49 pm

A perfect example is the 4th with Mclouth on 2nd and BR on 3rd and no outs. Manny at the plate. The approach should be looking for the first strike or two And drive it to RF. Object is getting Mclouth to 3rd with only 1 out and perhaps getting 2 runs in the inn and not just 1. Manny fouled off the 1st strike so it's unsure of his intent but I would hope it was to hit to RF. Too often we have gone for a homer and the guy gets stranded.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

PostPost #19 by Seafordeagles » August 25th, 2013, 5:30 pm

LA Detective wrote:A perfect example is the 4th with Mclouth on 2nd and BR on 3rd and no outs. Manny at the plate. The approach should be looking for the first strike or two And drive it to RF. Object is getting Mclouth to 3rd with only 1 out and perhaps getting 2 runs in the inn and not just 1. Manny fouled off the 1st strike so it's unsure of his intent but I would hope it was to hit to RF. Too often we have gone for a homer and the guy gets stranded.

The perfect example is that Manny DID drive in the run, and that was a classic example of small ball..................
Seafordeagles
GCL Orioles

Reputation Score: 18

PostPost #20 by LA Detective » August 25th, 2013, 8:53 pm

I agree. Successful at bat by MM. I'm just saying that I would hope his intent before the 1st strike was to hit it to RF and if it was a fly ball like he did hit then we have a greater possibility for the 2 runs instead of 1 that we got. Its come up huge in close games. We have not been good most of the yr tacking on the extra run. Tough mix when we can hit so many homers. I just say do both. And MM has no prob going to RF. He may of tried on the pitch he fouled back. As a team we don't do enough situational hitting as we should.

Either way, very good win today and great job of the line up passing the baton.
LA Detective
GCL Orioles

Previous

Return to Baltimore Orioles